Best motion sensor on battery?

No they can be connected to HE directly

2 Likes

The best that I have by far are the Xiaomi sensors with the mod never dropped offline and I have no repeaters so presumably no mesh

Since posting I ended.up buying the FIBARO Motion Sensor Z-Wave. I installed them beginning of May in my fowler which is heavy usage and have not changed the battery yet.
They respond and work great.

I wanted to work in using a lux sensor but never set it up.

But these are not cost efficient to put in ever room.

In security circles Visonic was known for breaking quality, reliability, security, non-falsing, and battery life barriers in wireless battery based sensors ( albeit all proprietary ).

They are now making ZigBee radioed devices (driven by a deal w/ Xfinity) which many of us have configured w/ Hubitat. Of course Visonic isn't the highly focused company it once was since being bought out by a big player.

Anyway, I'd bet their motion is as good as they get...but I don't have 1st hand experience w/ the ZigBee generation of their motion sensor(s). Their previous proprietary radio based sensors were rock solid.

https://catalog.visonic.com/zigbee/

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X871DB2/

Just wanted to add a note that the support offered by this forum and thread is simply AMAZING!

I come from Vera, and the Hubitat community is one of the reasons I switched.

4 Likes

That's the one I have in each of my bathrooms. Ceiling mounted so it can see the sink and shower area.

work well with battery life?

Supposed to be 3-5 year. No idea if that's true, but all mine are still on 100%.

Re NYCE:
I have two ceilings that are reporting 63% on three year old batteries, door contacts also three years old, 62%...
Curtain motions are 2.5 years old, reporting 100%...

1 Like

I just (3 - 4 months ago) deployed 4 SmartThings multi-sensors and they seem to work great. Very fast.

YapFlapper

Does anyone have a suggestion for current best motion sensor for HE? Looking for long battery life, fast response, price...

Zigbee or zwave?

One of those things is probably going to have to give -- kinda like the ol' "cheap, good, fast - pick any 2" customer-service adage.

Hue and NYCE would still be my top choices today.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I'm good with either Z-Wave or Zigbee

does Hue connect directly to the Hub? ...Or do you need the bridge?

Direct

2 Likes

Hue motion sensors are direct to hub and work very well in my experience. Downside is price...not inexpensive, but you can adjust their time-out settings directly, and sensitivity (at least w/outdoor I know that's true, I only have the outdoor version). They use larger batteries so battery life should be very good - I'm only a few months into having mine but still reading 100%.

2 Likes

You can also adjust the motion sensitivity on the indoor Hue Motion Sensors.

1 Like