Best motion sensor on battery?

Re NYCE:
I have two ceilings that are reporting 63% on three year old batteries, door contacts also three years old, 62%...
Curtain motions are 2.5 years old, reporting 100%...

1 Like

I just (3 - 4 months ago) deployed 4 SmartThings multi-sensors and they seem to work great. Very fast.

YapFlapper

Does anyone have a suggestion for current best motion sensor for HE? Looking for long battery life, fast response, price...

Zigbee or zwave?

One of those things is probably going to have to give -- kinda like the ol' "cheap, good, fast - pick any 2" customer-service adage.

Hue and NYCE would still be my top choices today.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I'm good with either Z-Wave or Zigbee

does Hue connect directly to the Hub? ...Or do you need the bridge?

Direct

2 Likes

Hue motion sensors are direct to hub and work very well in my experience. Downside is price...not inexpensive, but you can adjust their time-out settings directly, and sensitivity (at least w/outdoor I know that's true, I only have the outdoor version). They use larger batteries so battery life should be very good - I'm only a few months into having mine but still reading 100%.

2 Likes

You can also adjust the motion sensitivity on the indoor Hue Motion Sensors.

1 Like

Nyce ceiling motion sensors are great for bathrooms and report temp and humidity. Which makes them great for controlling the humidity with exhaust fans. They use 2 triple a batteries and last a couple of years. Stick them above the shower and you can keep the lights on when you're taking a shower or bath but still have them turn off when not occupied.

4 Likes

It wasn’t my question but thanks everyone for the current recommendations. I just need July to get here so I get my preordered Inovelli Blues to start establishing ZigBee in my house. :rofl: In the meanwhile, what would people recommend on the ZWave side?

In terms of what type(s) of device(s)?

Well it’s the “Best motion sensor on battery?” thread so obviously battery-powered motion sensors. :rofl: Since user897 said he was fine either everyone gave ZigBee answers but I was wondering which ones people would recommend on the ZWave side for motion.

Wasn't obvious to me, obviously. Would not have been the first time someone changed the subject in the middle of a thread. :slight_smile:

I think my issue is that I'm biased, I only use Zigbee motion sensors. They are almost always (always in my experience) faster than Z-Wave, and less muss/fuss overall (Z-Wave on the C7 has been a bit of an adventure of the past couple of years, much better lately, however). The only time I have problems w/my Zigbee motion sensors is when I accidentally drop them. So my Z-Wave motion sensor recommendation would be "don't." :wink:

3 Likes

Ha! Intriguing. Yea in general I'm doing nothing but 700 series ZWave stuff. I have the good fortune of buying everything now and not having existing older stuff (I'm a refugee from the now-defunct land of Insteon). I was looking at a few of the ZWave ones from Aeotec/Zooz/etc but yea not a lot of choices. Once I have a good ZigBee mesh also I may follow your advice.

1 Like

Make sure you join the Z-Wave devices w/out security, except for locks and garage door openers.

Switches and plugs and other devices don't need the additional overhead added to your hub by using S2 security. Choose the default option to include w/out security:

2022-05-15 21_35_25-Chrome Main

2 Likes

Even the 700 series is slower than zigbee by a noticeable margin which is why everyone said zigbee. Typical delay on zwave is about 0.5 seconds and typical zigbee delay is around 0.07 seconds. For lighting zigbee motion detectors are the way to go. You won't notice any delay when entering a room. With zwave you will. For non lighting applications, zwave motion is fine. The zigbee motion sensors also usually have better battery life. It's worth it to at least give one or two a shot and compare.

I have drawers full of gear that got relegated to spares because I wanted to go all zwave but I think it was Bruce that originally recommended the Nyce sensors and I gave them a shot. Pretty dramatic difference. Between the Nyce and Smartthings V2 Motion sensors I haven't really found any better performing devices. Aeotec now makes the Smartthings sensors but they are just rebranded versions of the V2 and have the same performance. The Nyce ceiling motion sensors are expensive and hard to find in stock but in bathrooms they are probably the best you can get.

5 Likes

But of course...I did my reading. :slight_smile:

Great info. That makes me even happier I preordered Inovelli Blues to establish a good ZigBee...I was originally planning on going all ZWave.

2 Likes