Aqara FP2 released

Just got a FP2 (from a non-Amazon seller in the UK). Easy enough setting it up with IFTTT to trigger Hubitat. I will have to use cloud as I don't have any other means until (if) they incorporate into HE (google smart speakers, Hue hub and HE only).

Problems I am having is with the zone location of those presences (in Aqara app). Very inconsistent and sometimes showing 2 people when only 1 within range. This happened a lot when testing in my narrow kitchen. Both people in the app moved when I did so I'm assuming something along the lines of signals reflecting or similar. I will carry on testing but seems reliable for basic presence detection but not custom zone detection for me as yet. I did read that it can be finicky in how it is placed which may be a reason for my inconsistency. Hard finding ideal places that have power and don't have the wife shouting "what the hell is that thing. It's ugly". The geek is weak in her.

8 Likes

Does it require Aqara hub to do the initial setup and to define the zones ?

LOL

4 Likes

If you have a platform (e.g. a Raspberry Pi 3B+ or newer) capable of running Home Assistant, it is pretty easy to get up and running these days if you use the Home Assistant OS version. Just write the image to a drive, and boot the system. I was able to use HA's "HomeKit Controller" integration to add the FP2, and then I used the Hubitat Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB) to bring the various FP2 Zones into Hubitat. This keeps everything local on my LAN, and the performance is very quick.

No. Just the Aqara app on your phone. The Aqara hub is not required for setup and configuration of the FP2 sensor.

I just tried adding the Aqara Skill to Alexa, and it was able to discover the FP2 devices without needing an Aqara hub. This obviously requires the the FP2 to be allowed to communicate with the internet.

5 Likes

Do you have some link that can provide the integration info ? so that i can refer the same.

You can read the following HA thread for more details of using their "HomeKit Controller" integration.

And for the Hubitat side, the following thread will get you started

4 Likes

Thank you

If I start to use the sensor more aggressively, I may need to look at that. For now, I am just testing and don't find the sensor reliable enough to use as a key driver. I still want to dabble in HA, but just don't have the time to invest currently

Homekit controller is also available in the container version of HA if you don't want/aren't able to dedicate a device just to HA.

I have six of these to cover the whole house (I use HA as my primary controller and Hubitat to bridge Zigbee/Zwave stuff). I've found the Aqara app is very buggy when it comes to displaying people on the grid. Some other folks in the HA forum have done some testing with zones and multiple people, and it seems to be fine even when the app is displaying garbage. The current consensus is that the Aqara app is crap, especially on a phone. It's marginally better on a tablet. None of that seems to affect it's actual accuracy in HA, but it makes the FP2s a pain to setup (especially zones), as you never know for sure if the little person icon is updating properly.

2 Likes

Yeah this is my struggle (minus the wife part). I setup the one I bought today and luckily I can hide it on a shelf that’s part of my TV stand. Seems to be working well and I would consider putting more in other rooms, except locating places near power that won’t stick out terribly - made more difficult by being in an old house with less than ideal outlet locations.

This thing is making me feel like an idiot :smiley:

So, I've got it on it's own WiFI SSID and VLAN to make packet capture a little easier. I'm sitting here watching the attributes update in the Aqara app, but without a corresponding packet in the tcpdump. It's mind-boggling.

Bluetooth?

Turned off on my phone.

My FP2 came yesterday, a whole week earlier than expected :smile:

After having a play with it this morning and getting integrated with Alexa, I've noticed the LUX is not supported in Alexa yet, which is slightly annoying. This one is going to be used in our kitchen to help manage the amount the lights are used in there. With it being towards the back of our house, even during the day, it can be quite dark in there especially with cloud cover, so the LUX feature would be of great use, instead of just setting up routines around the Sunrise and Sunset times.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I could attempt to get around this problem, or is it going to be a case of waiting for Amazon to catch up with recognizing LUX sensors?

I only have Echo's and HE, despite having HomeKit on my phone where I've been able to add the FP2, I don't actually own any of the HomeKit hubs.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I use a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant OS to act as a local (non cloud) bridge between my FP2 and my HE hub. It has been working very well.

1 Like

I'm not wanting to go down the HA route if possible. I'm only just really getting into the smart home properly and hoping to have as few hubs as feasible. But if it gets to a point where I'm in a catch 22, then I may look into something like that

2 Likes

You're at that point for right now.

I bought one and started poking it with a stick to see if there was an obvious way to integrate directly to HE. There isn't that I can find. I'm looking for a less obvious route now but haven't had a lot of time to mess with it.

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl: I was expecting someone to say that

1 Like

FWIW, it's not terribly hard and it opens up a lot of additional capabilities. There are HA integrations for just about anything you can imagine.

3 Likes