Aqara FP2 released

I got Tuya Human Presence sensors, Zigbee, Wall Mounted version:

Warning! They are not pairing directly with C8 but C7 + HubMesh is working very well.
These sensors are a bit noisy, i.e. they are sending a lot of unnecessary messages.
Because of these phenomena I did not expose them to C8 "as is". Instead I created
a Virtual MS on C7, Mirror Tuya Sensor only motion attribute to this Virtual MS and
exposed VMS to the C8. The result is - no garble messages are sending across Hum Mesh.

Also fine tuning of the Tuya Sensors (and I am sure, all mmWave sensors) is very tricky.
These sensors are seeing through the walls. In the Bathroom it took me two attempts
to find a right place/angle for the sensor mounting. And then I tried many different
combinations of sensitivity, maxDistance and fadingTime before sensor started to
produce very reliable and trusted presence results. Now I am in a middle of fine tuning
similar sensor in the Kitchen (getting very close to finalize placement and settings).

But, unfortunately nothing worked for the FP2 sensors. These are producing well
too many falls detections.

Sure. If nobody is willing to pick them up they will go into "spare toys" drawer.
Who knows, maybe one day they will be somewhat useful. But by this time
something much better could become available.

So integration of the FP2 into Home assistant, then link those presence devices into hubitat is the best current way of integrating this still? Seems that way but just checking in case I've missed something.

Linking through HomeKit is also an option. It requires creating virtual devices that are shared with HomeKit. It also requires creating rules in HomeKit to turn them on/off when presence is detected, or not.

1 Like

If I already have home assistant already setup and integrated into hubitat, but not home kit, what would be the suggested best approach? Both home kit and home assistant don't need anything special do they? Both fairly similar efforts expect in my case home assistant is already setup and linked to hubitat?

I believe first link the FP2 to aqara. Then either setup an account (and assume also add aqara integration) if looking at home kit, or just setup aqara integration in home assistant if using that. Setup rules to turn devices on in either home assistant or home kit. Then use the hubitat integrations for either home assistant or home kit if using home kit to detect the state changes.

I can do some further reading if need be. I haven't looked too much as of yet to be honest. I only just ordered the FP2 online so it's early days.

HomeKit solution with virtual switches that @Sebastien is describing needs a HomeKit hub for the automation (i.e. Apple TV 4 or later HomePod/HomePod mini).

Home assistant solution just needs HomeKit controller integration installed on HA and then install Home Assistant Device Bridge on the HE hub. There are plenty of instructions and videos on how to do this integration.

6 Likes

Thanks. That makes the decision easy then. Home assistant it is.. Seeing I have that setup already, including hadb

3 Likes

I see they are $30 cheaper now down here ($169). Is that what tempted you? I'm considering buying another....

Yes they caught me with that temptation.. Although I ordered mine from Amazon for 2 bucks cheaper ha ha. Although now the inpatient me wondered if there was stock in stores somewhere

1 Like

I ended up using Amazon as well, was an $8 difference if you add on the typical $6 delivery by Officeworks or JB. Thanks for the tip.

It sucked you in too ha ha. Even though I know these have had mixed feedback.. Once I realised it would work well in my home theatre (converted garage) and the discount well the thoughts started flowing in = temptation.

I wrote a reddit post asking people what they use them for in general but in the end it was my curiosity that got me. And if course the discount.

I'm thinking of.... All in rule machine if I can manage to keep clear of home assistant automations.

if no one in the recliners and someone walks in then turn the lights on full.

If someone sits in the recliners then begin a transition of dimming the lights once the projector gets turned on.

If anyone walks in and someone is in the recliner and the projector on, then turn the back lights on dim only.

If everyone leaves the recliners then start turning all the lights on gradually..

Niw let's hope they are capable of this and reliable enough. Worst case is I have a little fun setting it all up.

1 Like

I know this question likely should be elsewhere...

But I don't see "homekit controller" as an add on integration. I believe it just shows in home assistant these days once fp2 is detected on the network without installing an extra integration?

Yep, mine made itself discoverable by default. I just removed it from HA after I relocated it and setup the zones again. Probably didn't need to, but I chose to. I just restarted the sensor, so hoping it will be discoverable again... Or not :slightly_frowning_face:. Restart of HA did the trick :slightly_smiling_face:

The HomeKit device is under Apple.

2 Likes

Just saw a firmware update is available... Anyone try it yet?

I went ahead an updated... So far, it seems like ghosts disappear very quickly.

3 Likes

Yeah I updated mine as well. Ghosts do still seem to appear, but do go away.

2 Likes

Love how thourough they are with their update logs on this one… :wink:

From the iPad app:

From the iPhone app:

3 Likes

I noticed that too :slightly_smiling_face:. Us Dev's love documentation. Anyway, it fixes known issues, so you must know what they are referring to.... Surely?

3 Likes

Well of course! I know exactly which issue they are referring to! You too, right? :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, so helpful that they took away the previous release details page. So now, not only are thier firmware updates irreversible, but you may not know what they address beyond a blanket statement. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Seems like I walked straight into the latest update. Updates seem fast and accurate but early days. No ghosts that I've seen. Hoping they change the room layout in app so it can represent a corner placement. I believe I saw it somewhere on reddit from someone at aqara but who knows how long until that is implemented.

The only things reported to HA/HE are motion (actually presence) status yes? And lux. Entries and exits are not yet supported.