Aqara FP2 released

This one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005761971083.html

There are interesting screenshots of the Tuya SmarLife app configuration options that are not available on ZY-M100, but let's see how it will perform.

One of the issues with Tuya mmWave radars compared to Aqara FP2 is that it is difficult to see the effect of the different configurations (sensitivity, detection distances, etc...). This new model promises such test functionalities.

2 Likes

Looks good! Since I have no hurry, I will wait for your useful feedback :heart_eyes:
But I don't understand, both ZY-M100 and this new version, are fully compatible and integrable to Hubitat without any special competence?

Hubitat inbuilt drivers are comparable only with these Tuya devices, that follow strictly the Zigbee Clusters Library specifications.

The mmWave occupancy sensors are complex and non-standard devices, so these are handled by community written custom drivers.

:rofl: Such a dramatic burglar!

2 Likes

Every Chinese device usual has color LEDs, a lot of these will also play music, but this one has a loud alarm! :rofl:

1 Like

I'm using this Tuya ZY-M100-S with Zigbee2MQTT on Home Assistant, and then bringing the motion and illuminance activity into Hubitat with Home Assistant Device Bridge. I cannot speak to a direct HE driver as I've not used it.

In my case, it is performing perfectly with Z2M on HA and HADB.

OMG :exploding_head: this is arabic for me :frowning:
So no other way to use these Tuya devices, directly from HE?

@kkossev has written a driver for certain types, but as he mentioned above,

Since you directed your question to me, I am simply clarifying that I have no personal experience with the driver he wrote.

1 Like

I use these, and they're hot garbage. At least when paired to HE directly, using various drivers.

Aqara FP1 is FAR superior. Get that instead. Or better yet, the EP1.

I think it's prudent to try the very specific driver that @kkossev said was needed and is working on before pronouncing them garbage. It's my understanding that simply because a Tuya device model is white labelled to a distributor, it doesn't mean they will behave the same since each distributor can add their own customized firmware.

I'm using the HPM 4-in-1 Tuya driver from @kkossev. I don't believe this is a driver issue at all. The units just stick. I find myself with lights staying on all night quite often.

Do not have this issue with FP1 and EP1. FP2 is better than Tuya, but not by much. If the Tuya firmware could be updated, that might help a lot. These devices really need a lot of fine tuning it seems.

I've been comparing the performance of one and the same model of the Tuya mmWave radars paired to Tuya Zigbee gateway, paired to Zigbee2MQTT and paired directly to Hubitat and the performance is one and the same.

What matters is where the mmWave radar is placed (it must be away from any electromagnetic fields), at which direction the sensor is pointing (I had the best results pointing it 30% toward the floor - skipping the air conditioners airflow ).

For all type of mmWave sensors - try to use the minimum sensitivity possible.

For Tuya sensors - limit the maximum distance that triggers the occupancy.
For Aqara FP1 - now we can now use regions with the new FP1 driver by Jonathan (already available in HPM)
For Aqara FP2 - the possibilities for fine-tuning and mitigation of the interference sources are much better and improving with the updates.

Generally, I think that Aqara FP2 is better.

7 Likes

Just want to double-check before I update my FP2. Y'all are happy with 1.19?

I'm still on 1.15 and my only complaint is it just stops responding every week or so and I have to reboot it. Otherwise it's working perfectly and these replies on the other forum are not filling me with confidence.

I have my FP2 running 1.1.9 with no issues. Performance is pretty darn snappy, no stubborn ghosts (those that are left behind in a zone after I leave it seem to disappear in less than 1 minute), no need to reboot anything, etc... I do use an old, genuine iPhone charger as my power supply for the FP2. I wonder if using an inadequate power supply could cause any issues with these devices? Just a hypothesis.

I do believe some people may not truly understand how these mmWave sensors work, and what the limitations are of such a sensor. Anything that moves at all, even just a little, will cause it to sense something in the room. One needs to be patient, and adjust the sensitivity settings for the specific environment, and properly identify 'interference' sources in each zone to prevent false alarms.

8 Likes

Ah that would be nice, but I've got it on a 3 amp supply, so that's not likely the cause. Little concerned about the supply I use with it, as that's how I fried my first two. I'll bite the bullet and update based on your feedback (promise not to blame you if it doesn't work out well for me :wink:).

2 Likes

Meh. It's cool that you can hold on a ghost and hit a trash can icon to delete it. For anyone unfamiliar with the new feature, it asks if you want to set it as an interference zone, or just delete it. But, I didn't need to do that in 1.1.5 and now in 1.1.9, I occasionally do.

I'll give it a few days and post an update here. I've already tried resetting the absence status again, but that didn't eliminate the ghosts that are now hanging around every so often. Maybe there's some on-device ML that will improve things over time. I think I'll also just let it stay connected to the Xiaomi servers for a few days. I did that in beginning with 1.1.5 so it makes sense to repeat the steps the worked in the beginning. There's a possibility the ML is done in their cloud and then synced to the device. :man_shrugging:

Generally it's more responsive, I do see that. Position tracking seems to be more precise and responsive as well. Not all bad.

2 Likes

I updated to 1.1.9 and have had no issues, I may get the occasional ghost but I haven't been impacted so don't check the app to see. Also seems to be a little more responsive as well now, not fast enough that I could set up a zone for each light in my hallway and have them turn on instantly when I hit the zone but seems better than before and my zones cover two down-lights each which seems to work well :slight_smile: I think it is at the point where I can now go and fine tune it though.

2 Likes

I’m not looking at the app unless I want to delete a ghost. I can confirm what others have said, is that it also shows up in home assistant as detected when nothing is there.

However, those ghosts do seem to now be timing out and vanishing, so that’s good news. Hoping it progressively performs better over the next few days.

2 Likes

The next release will have a Custom Mirror child, which will allow you to do things like this all in one shot:

This will work with real and virtual destination devices.

9 Likes

Thanks!