Aqara FP2 released

I have 2 of these. Both are garbage. Completely unreliable unfortunately. One was on the prior firmware and just stopped working one day. The other is newer and on the latest firmware. Itā€™s just never worked reliably. Apparently my house is haunted and is THE PLACE to be judging from all the ghosts I constantly see in the Aqara app.

My previous two were both killed by my faulty power adapter, nothing to do with the product. They acted similar to what youā€™re describing before they died (or were killed to be more precise).

I had made the same mistake and upgraded them to the latest firmware. I saw lots of ghosts in both of them before they met their demise from the same bad adapter. The one I have now is at 1.15, and while I occasionally see those ghosts, they go away by themselves pretty quickly. The forums are suggesting that there will be an update around two weeks so. Just hang tight and I think things will get better. Theyā€™re not perfect, but they seem to be very capable devices. Just some kinks that need to be worked out in the firmware. Iā€™m pretty confident they will get there soon enough.

This isnā€™t a company that doesnā€™t care deeply about their public image. Their products are actually really reliable. You canā€™t judge what youā€™ve heard from people trying to join them directly to HE and getting mixed results. I have many of their Zigbee devices joined via a Combee II with Zigbee2MQTT on HA and they are solid performers. Never drop.

1 Like

Why do companies refuse to include power adapters if they make their product so sensitive. Do they expect their customers to be electrical engineers? I just used an old phone charger. Powered on fine. Now I wonder if these types of devices can cause fires due to customers using the ā€œwrongā€ ac adapter.

I put my FP2s in a drawer. Will drag them out if a firmware update comes along but Iā€™m not expecting much at this point. Hard to believe these were tested during development. Maybe they were using the wrong adapters?

First answer is that itā€™s a trend that was started by tech companies like Apple, saying they were doing it to reduce the e-waste caused from unnecessary adapters. Thereā€™s a fair argument for that, but it also saves companies a lot of money, so itā€™s gained popularity. In the case of this device in particular , I do agree that a proper adapter should be included.

However, in my particular case, the failure was caused by a faulty adapter. Iā€™m using four of the exact same adapters on my Hubitat hubs and my Lutron Smart Bridge Pro, and have been for over two years with no trouble. This was just one of those cases where one of the adapters was bad and it fried components of the input power in the FP2. I was foolish enough not to also change the adapter when the first FP2 failed, and I subsequently fried the second one with the same faulty adapter. :man_facepalming:

By the time I looked up why the first FP2 had a solid red light, the second one had already fried.

Lessons learned.

1. Red solid lights usually are not a good sign :roll_eyes:
  2. If a device dies, donā€™t plug a new device back into that same adapter :grimacing:
  3. Donā€™t update firmware without checking with what others are saying or at least trying the shipped firmware first. But there can be exceptions to this rule, such as critical security flaws. Read the release notes before making that call.

Iā€™m actually fortunate I fried the first two in a way. I had just accepted the firmware update without pause, and as a result they were showing the issues everyone else is also complaining about with 1.17
Due to my frying them, I got a chance to try one again with 1.15 firmware, and while it may have some of the issues that were fixed in newer firmware, it does not seem to have the major problems that were unintentionally introduced in the 1.17 build.

Reverting firmware versions would be a nice feature for Aqara to add if possible. I know people like AlexxIT have created firmware hacks with tools that allow Xiaomi Mijia hubs to be forward and backward flashed. Maybe they or someone else will do similar with the FP2. However, there can be risks associated with upgrading and reverting firmware, but it varies greatly depending on the device architecture.

I donā€™t think Aqara shipped without careful testing, and the generally good results Iā€™m seeing from the shipped 1.15 firmware does support that theory. Firmware updates always have the chance to introduce unexpected bugs, and thatā€™s whatā€™s happened here. Iā€™m certain Aqara is frustrated with the outcome too, and it would explain why the seem to have slowed down the release cycle. Never a bad idea. When your kids run and fall, the typical advice is to tell them to slow down. You donā€™t tell them to go faster and donā€™t screw up this time! :wink:

Meh, that's why you have at least 2 kids... An heir and a spare... :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I've been taking my time with this and getting the zones right. Last night I decided it was stable enough to start adding FP2 zones into automations. Using HADB, I have brought the zones into HE and they appear as highly responsive motion sensors. Perfect! :+1:

Once they are in, I'm using the Home Assistant HomeKit Controller integration's sensor view to know when a zone is activated or not. Probably works the same with the Apple Home app, but I'm not using that, so I cannot comment. This is far better than trying to use the detected person icon on the Aqara FP2 Zone map. It would be great if the app worked perfectly, but it often doesn't show you as present, even though you are detected (which I'm determining by looking at the HomeKit Controller sensor view as previously mentioned). This allows quick and accurate adjustment of the FP2 zones. I simply open the Aqara app and make a Zone adjustment, save it and then flip to Chrome on my iPhone to see exactly when I'm detected in Home Assistant or not as I move in and out of the zones.

It's early, but I suspect that what some people are seeing as ghosts in the Aqara Zone map, are merely in the Aqara app alone. A bug in the app, and not a problem with the actual FP2 1.15 firmware I'm running. I'm finding no actual person detected in that zone when the app shows that a ghost exists in that zone. Again, I may be incorrect here, but the evidence I'm finding of actual detection when viewing the HomeKit Controller sensor status indicates otherwise. However, if you have upgraded to 1.17, this may not be the case. I'm sorry if you're plagued with poor performance due bugs in 1.17, and I empathize with you. As I mentioned in my previous post, circumstances both within, and beyond my control gave me a second chance to avoid the allegedly faulty 1.17 firmware the second time around, and I can now safely wait for the next release and see how it shakes out before making the non-revertable choice to upgrade.

Hope this information is helpful and I'm interested to hear if anyone with FP2 firmware version 1.17 can either corroborate, or confute my findings using the same methodology. :v:

4 Likes

I am running the 1.17 firmware on my FP2 and it is working fine. While the Aqara app on my iPhone is a little wonky, my home automations are working just fine. I am also using HA to HADB to bring my FP2 zones into HE.

I have had some luck in the iOS Aqara app by opening the FP2 sensor page, then clicking the 3 dot menu (top right), wait until it says updated, then going back to the main sensor page. Afterwards, it at least shows something on the screen. Rebooting the FP2 sensor also sometimes helps.

Hopefully Aqara will work through these bugs soon.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I upgraded my two FP2 to latest FW V1.17
My integration is also done via HA HomeKit Controller + HADB.
Unfortunately all ghosts are very real because near all of them generated a correspondent event.
The one in a bathroom does not have any zones defined. Over night when it suppose to be quiet
it did generated many (10+) events. I guess, I have to wait until next firmware release hopping
it will fix things.

Do you have any window coverings or shower curtains that might be moving slightly when your HVAC system turns on? How about any plants? What about handing towels? These sensors are very sensitive to any motion in the room.

Also on latest firmware v1.1.7_0002.0028.
Working well apart from the annoying ghosts...
From a quick glance, I can see that the app and integration in HA show the same thing, i.e. ghosts are reported in both cases.

Summary

I hope things improve, otherwise I am likely to return this.

3 Likes

Just received my wall mount Tuya mmW sensor today. It's every bit as good as the reviews state. I don't see why you would still order an Aqara FP1 with these available. For that matter, I wouldn't personally spend the money on an FP2 for an application that only needs a single zone.

I'm pretty happy with the FP2 features and performance, but for $28 CAD (After discount, I only paid $20 CAD shipped), you would be much better off with four of these in many cases.

3 Likes

Yes, I love the Tuya ZY-M100, they are great!
They are working fine in two bedrooms.
Unfortunately, I failed to get it to work in the living room, hallway, and bathroom as the radar sees through walls!
Will test further.

2 Likes

Are you using Z2M on HA? There's a fair amount of tweaking that can be done, but only Z2M exposes it.

I have access to Zigbee2MQTT but do not use it... the options are the same as provided by @kkossev excellent drivers.
From my limited testing the main option to get right is the placement of sensor and max_range (I normally use a tape measurer to measure distance). However, the problem is adjacent rooms, for example, sensor placed in the bathroom easily detects the adjacent room as the space is too small in the bathroom.

Summary

2 Likes

First odd (more so than what I've already read about here :wink:) behavior from the FP2 this morning. Blue light suddenly started flashing (Forgot to check if it was still active in HA :man_facepalming:), as if it was in pairing mode. Unblocked its internet and opened the Aqara app, but it couldn't be found. Tried to pair it again, but nothing found. I power cycled it for 30 sec and it came back online like nothing had changed. Blocked its internet again and it's working in HA just as before.

Is this typical behavior? Does it just suddenly drop off and I'm going to need to reboot every so often? I'm on firmware 1.15 still, so maybe this is a unique experience. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

I have not observed this behavior, however I am no longer running 1.15. So, possibly something that was fixed in 1.16 or 1.17? I do know that my FP2 was upgraded within the first day or two of my ownership. Thus, it is possibly a bug in older firmware. NOT that I am recommending you upgrade - it is just a hypothesis...

1 Like

Thanks Dan. I'll keep watch for the update and see how things shakeout with those that are already on 1.17_0028 to see if I should be joining the party.

Got mine in yesterday and I'm evaluating in parallel for now... I think I have the three ghosts pretty well trapped for now, but we'll see how it goes. (Still on fw 1.1.5_0001.0015)

Summary

By what kinds of walls? Drywalls, or concrete/brick?

Well, it's been about a day or so... my observation is that while it's using mmWave, positional accuracy seems to be measured in meters...

Glad I only got one for testing.