Anyone used this TUYA LED strip controller with success?

Is there anyone who used this Zigbee TUYA RGBCCT LED strip controller that is very affordable on eBay? Is it possible to pair it with HE or Hue Bridge?

Update: There are multiple eBay listings of “Zigbee LED Strip Controller” that looked almost identical. I have brought two of them from two different listings, one has the word “Tuya” in the listing title, and the other doesn’t. Here is my experience with each of them:

eBay listing with Tuya in the title:

This is based on the Tuya ZS3L Zigbee module. I was able to pair it with Hue Bridge or HE using the Generic Zigbee RGBW Light driver. All functions are working as expected. Under HE, it’s also a Zigbee Repeater. I don’t know how good it is as a repeater (I don’t have a Zigbee sniffer to check), but so far, I haven’t noticed any Zigbee device to misbehave. A minor issue is that it emits low volume high-frequency pitch when any channel is not of full brightness. The noise is low enough to be only heard when I’m very close to it (about 1-2 feet).
  • manufacturer: _TZ3000_qqjaziws
  • model: TS0505B

eBay listing WITHOUT Tuya in title

This is based on the CC2530 Zigbee module. I was able to pair it with Hue Bridge or HE, and all functions are working as expected. It too shows up as a repeater but still don't know how good is it as a repeater. This one also produces high-frequency pitch noise but much louder. It can be heard from 6 feet away. I had to use other means to reduce the noise.
  • manufacturer: YSRSAI
  • model: ZB-CL01
1 Like

It would depend if you could flash this with Tasmota so you could run it locally. I don't know nearly enough about that, but with some research you could see if it was capable of being flashed.

Edit:

Read that wrong, sorry. Didn't see the Zigbee, these are normally Wifi.

They may or may not work with a generic driver. With a brief search, I didn't see anyone using these, but quite a few Zigbee devices just work with generic drivers.

The device is Zigbee, not WiFi, so I don't think Tasmota is relavent there, or am I missing something?

Crap, read that wrong. I saw Tuya and forgot they made both.

No worries. I end up purchased a very similar one from another eBay listing to try. In the description, the seller mentions "works with the ZigBee ZLL standard and is therefore compatible with many common ZigBee hubs/gateways, like Amazon ECHO Plus, HUE, Osram, SmartThings." Although, it's kinda contradicting as SmartThings doesn't support ZLL AFAIK. Will report back once I get it.

So I received the device and it actually supports ZLL and paired well with Hue Bridge. I was excited for a moment but then I started to hear an audible high pitch from the controller when I changed brightness or color. Not loud but audible in a quiet room. I guess that's the quality you get with this cheap device. That being said, I'm still impressed with what it can do for <$15.

For anyone curious, this is based on CC2530. So it can have a great potential to support both HA and ZLL and be a nice repeater.

And the noise seemed to come from the inductor. Not sure if this is a design problem or quality problem.

If you've gone to the trouble of opening it up, then put a drop of varnish or hot met glue on the inductor to silence it, the noise is simply caused by things moving in the switching magnetic field. Varnish or hot met glue (Silicon as well but takes longer to dry) have been used for decades to silence wound components.

Thanks @cichocki for the tips, I'll give it a try and let you know.

Hi All, came across this thread when searching for my issue.

I am not using the exact same device but a variant as pictured (a 'single colour' LED controller, as I was looking for a 12-24V Zigbee in-line switch to control a single colour LED strip.)

ZLED

It is discoverable by HE and (incorrectly) assigns one of my Xiaomi motion sensor drivers.
I have tried changing the device handler to various generic zigbee drivers, but have had no luck in controlling this device in HE.

But...I have also tries adding it to Smartthings. It is discovered as a 'Light' and assigned the 'Zigbee Dimmer' device handler. Although it's not a dimmer...I can control it (turn it on/off) in Smartthings with no problem.

So...it works with Smartthings using a generic driver...but I can't identify a driver that works in Hubitat.

Any suggestions? (Modifying an ST driver for HE is beyond my skill level!)

Regretfully my reply won't help you with your issue. I purchased an almost identical product which was the "TUYA ZIGBEE Mini Led Dimmer Controller APP Voice Control for Single color Strip" with the word dimmer in there. Although the eBay image does state single colour as well.

HE discovered it but just assigned it a generic device. I changed it to a Generic Zigbee Bulb and it appears to be working although I've only just been testing it.

• manufacturer: _TZ3000_4whigl8i
  • model: TS0501B

I have been using it with Hue Bridge for almost two months now and it worked well. For the noise problem, I was able to reduce it down to hardly audible by placing the controller inside a sealed container, this controller produce almost no heat so that worked out fine. I hence ordered another one and it just arrived. This time, I paired it with Hubitat, it was discovered as Device but I changed it to Generic Zigbee RGBW Light and it worked very well.

What's more exciting is that it also function as signal repeater and it's CC2530 based, I have high hope that it will help strengthen the Hubitat Zigbee network. I'll report back with my experience.

So...it works with Smartthings using a generic driver...but I can't identify a driver that works in Hubitat.

@pavr27 have you tried Generic Zigbee Dimmer or Generic Zigbee Bulb

Yes. With no luck. I'll just have to use it on smartthings via hubconnect for the time being.

That's very weird. The device is very easy to open, you can see if it's also CC2530 based. BTW, which firmware version is running on your HE? I'm currently on 2.2.4.158

I just bought a RGBWW (5-pin) version. If I pair it with HE directly, I can only control the RGB LEDs and not the white LEDs. If I pair it with Hue hub, I can only control the white and not color. Any tips from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Blockquote
Update: I have two of them now, one from the listing above which has slightly better build quality, much lower noise. Both of them paired well with Hue Bridge or HE (use Generic Zigbee RGBW Light driver). It also function as Zigbee signal repeater.

Which HE driver did you select? If you use the RGBW driver, have you tried to set the color temperature to a very low (say 2000) or very high (say 6500) number?

I'm afraid 5pin version is exotic to both Hue and HE. If you look at the Hue bulb and strip offerings, They are typically:

Hue White / HE Generic Zigbee Bulb - Single channel on/off only (2pin)
Hue Dimmable/ HE Generic Zigbee Dimmer - Single channel dimmable (2pin)
Hue White Ambiance / HE Generic Zigbee CT Bulb - Two channel warm white + cool white (3pin)
Hue Color / HE Generic Zigbee RGB Light - Three channel RGB (4pin)
Hue Color Ambiance / HE Generic Zigbee RGBW Light - Five channel RGBCCT (6pin)

Oh yes, it i easy to open! Mine looks quite different to yours.

The device info from Smartthings is as follows:

• manufacturer: _TZ3000_4whigl8i
  • model: TS0501B
  • zigbeeNodeType: ROUTER

I'm running 2.2.5.123

Thanks Kenneth for the quick response and insight, especially about different channel configurations. It’s interesting that they support seemingly more complex RGB+CCT and not RGB+WW. I will relegate these two (inexpensive) units to locations where bright light is not important and get new RGBCCT controllers for kitchen cabinets.

I did try very low and high color temperatures which still did not turn the white LEDs on from HE. Also interestingly when connected through Hue hub, Hue app was controlling RGB LEDs (only) but HE was only controlling the white LEDs.

Hopefully one of the smart people here will write a driver to support 5-pin RGBW controllers. I will try to learn as well.

I used Generic Zigbee RGBW