Any way to get Song/Artist/Album (or even album art?) from Cast device?

Right now with the basic Chomecast/Google Home integration gives me the source (Play Music, Youtube Music, Spotify) as a device status. I think (?) that cast-web-api gives you more details (but honestly their site is really unclear on this)

It does but the state of that project is a mess. I've reported bugs to that kid/guy that are over a year old and he hasn't looked at them. I'm not going to fix them for him either.

I have it setup and it doesn't work well with groups (loses them frequently) and it NEVER responds to the Hubitat driver after a Google Assistant broadcast. It is frustrating. It also crashes infrequently. You may not be happy with the end result but it's the best I've found.

ok I have an old pixel phone that I guess i can install it on to try out, not a ringing endorsement @codahq! was that a yes or no on album art? I extensively use cast groups so...

It is a maybe. It depends on the stream you are pulling data from. It attempts to pull from the standard location on m3u and m3u8 playlists I believe. When it can't get art it falls back on showing the driver's default which is the SmartThings logo unless I give you access to the partially rewritten Hubitat drivers I have.

To be honest though all they do is make some of the error messages that the relay throws more understandable and make it so you can use the newer version of cast-web which doesn't really offer much over the older version that was ported to Hubitat.

My drivers for cast web are not really in a state that I am proud of so I don't typically distribute them. If you can't get the older version of cast web running with the old ported drivers let me know.

And really... I HATE cast web. It's just a low priority to fix right now. Hopefully you have a better experience.

We'd only be using it for GPM/Youtube Music/Spotify and Audible, so thats likely a no

You can't start one of those sources from cast web either. The only source you can start from cast web is mp3/m3u/m3u8. However, I do believe that if you start a source from some other streaming source it gets the title at least. If I didn't have something else dismantled right now I would try it out for you. Remind me later.

1 Like

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I have been able to get media info from my android devices (Pixel Phone and Android Tablet) by setting up Tasker on them and using AutoNotification to intercept the notification details for things like YouTube and other apps that have media controls in the notifications area. Not a solution for all setups or situations, but it works for me.

If you are interested, I posted about it here: