Any update on when we can get the new "Hub Protection Service"?

And when is 2.2.5? LOL

I'm putting my money on end of December. Unfortunately I have no money, so that is an empty statement. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just saying I wouldn’t keep a new C7 in a box waiting :slightly_smiling_face:

Ken, I know just what you mean, but I have dozens of devices, some of them barely accessible, and I'm still recovering slowly from open heart surgery and just can't stomach the notion that I'd have to set-up a new hub from scratch. If it weren't for that, and were I steady enough to climb a step ladder, I'd have done it long ago. Meanwhile, my C5 works well, so I'll just wait.

Jeff

6 Likes

Jeff - while I do miss reading your posts, they can wait until your recovery is complete.

Get well soon!

9 Likes

I work in intensive care, so I completely understand why you still have your C7 in a box. I hope you are recovering well.

5 Likes

Jeff,

Praying for a speedy and full recovery for you.

6 Likes

Thanks! Why my recovery is so much slower than the Cardiologists predicted is still not understood, but I am most definitely recovering steadily, now, and expect that by late Spring I'll even be back on my bicycle. Don't worry about me, anyone! I have a cushy life, here, with a stair lift and lots of family to help.

5 Likes

Those cardiologists! What do they know anyway? Only 10 years of school and a little bit of CME now and again! :laughing:

4 Likes

Hello, do we know when the Hub Protection Service will be released? They did a fantastic job with 2.2.4, guessing they put this new protection service on the back burner or in 2.2.5 release.

Nope.

1 Like

We prefer updates.

Well, they already said 2.2.5 at the earliest. As 2.2.4 just came out, I would guess 4-6 weeks until 2.2.5.

Ask again then.

2 Likes

Yes I believe you've made that clear enough re: expected release timeframes for updates over the last year. As @JasonJoel mentioned, it will hopefully be in the next major platform release.

I would say at this point it's a safe bet they have encountered some kind of obstacles that set them back from their initial plan to release it in the Summer.

They haven't gone into much (any) detail re: why. I'm ok with the "it's ready when it's ready" approach they've adopted, but I can understand if others are less patient.

2 Likes

The lack of a local backup of the zwave/zigbee radio is really bothersome. The automated nature of the hub protect service is compelling, however, not allowing local backup really leaves a bad taste in my mouth given how hubitat is marketed (local, local, local). Personally, I would much rather see the protect service be required to use the cloud dashboards. Bundle the dashboards, automated backups etc behind a hubitat cloud subscription, but allow local dashboards full hub local backups.

I already had one 'scare' where the hubitat 'forgot' all my zwave devices. Several reboots and a revert to the previous firmware version managed to fix the issue. However, it really drove home how core the ability to backup the zwave radio is to a hub.

That being said, like everyone else in this thread I hope 2.2.5 comes soon because I have a c-7 sitting in a box waiting to replace my c-5. I've already set another household up with a c-7 and the better zwave tools of the c-7 make it a no brainer upgrade....if there was a way to backup a c-5 and restore it to a c-7 without a full rebuild.

1 Like

I also hope it arrives when it's ready. :wink:

Please don't hurry, HE staff. Especially for the backup service, that needs to be perfect (or as perfect as possible where humans are involved). :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My C-5 has been running fine for months now and I don't want to mess anything up with my smart home setup just yet (ain't broke don't fix it).
I bought a C-7 as soon as I heard about the migration tool with in HPS.
So my C-7 has been setting next to my C-5 hub powered on with the Z-Wave and Zigbee radio turned off, I keep it updated just waiting to migrated my C-5 backup to it when Hub Protection Service comes out.

3 Likes

Well 2.2.5 is here and still no protection service. Sigh.

2 Likes

True. Although to be fair, the 2.2.5 public release has just started. Perhaps additional features will be added on in later releases.

Stand by for...

2.2.5 - The Protection Service Strikes Back

(pew pew pew pew)

5 Likes

Maybe. But 2/1 was what I set as my manual move date. At that point my C7 will be almost 6mo old, I ordered it on 8/4/20. At some point I have to stop waiting and bite the bullet. Oh well :confused:

4 Likes