Any Success With The Bosch Motion Sensor?

The thread where this was previously discussed is a little old, and didn't really have a successful resolution that I could see.

I have a few of the Bosch motion sensors that I was previously using with SmartThings. They integrated very nicely with SmartThings, once I had the proper device handler installed, and they were solid performers for doing some motion lights. Unfortunately, there were other issues with SmartThings that really frustrated me (Cloud execution, and quite frequent light dropouts), so I chose to switch over to HubitatElevation.

The lighting now works much better with the HE hub, but those darned Bosch motion sensors give me fits. I can get them to pair, and they are faithful in reporting the temperature (which I really don't need), but as for motion detection, they keep getting "stuck" on active. I have tried re-pairing, and re-booting the HE hub, but I just cannot get them to perform reliably with HE.

The entire light system is Zigbee (Sylvania/Osram Lightify) with about 24 lights in total)

Any good tips to get these motion sensors working reliably? Would the Sylvania motion sensors work more reliably? Or perhaps the Iris sensors if they go on sale at Lowes?

@mike.maxwell writes and maintains most of the Hubitat Drivers. If anyone knows about the Bosch Motion Detectors, it would probably be him.

I love the Iris Motion sensors. Don't wait too long though, as Lowes is getting out of the Iris Home Automation business.

One thing that might be causing some issues are your Sylvania/Osram Lightify smart bulbs. For some users, these are poor Zigbee repeaters.

With my system, I'm not sure I even need repeaters. It's for a kitchen and connected hallway, and the greatest distance between the HE hub and any bulb is about 25 ft. The greatest distance to a motion sensor is about 15 ft.

If you can get them, get them. Rock solid on HE and fast...and $15 when they were on sale. Wish I would have gotten more.

Unfortunately, whether you need them or not... those bulbs will act as repeaters in your Zigbee mesh. Only Sengled Smart Bulbs are designed to not be repeaters. I used to think that this was a negative for them, but I have grown to realize that smart bulbs typically make lousy repeaters. Now I love that Sengled bulbs are so inexpensive, and are not repeaters.

As I understand Zigbee, a device once linked to a repeater will stay linked to that repeater no matter how weak the signal is compared to other repeaters or the hub itself. If I could force it to link directly to the hub, then it should (???) stay linked to the hub even if a stronger signal repeater is nearby.

So, if I shut down the HE hub, power-off every one of the bulbs, then pull be batteries on the Bosch sensor, would it preferentially link to the hub and stay that way if I re-power the hub and re-insert the Bosch batteries? What if I have a power outage (a regular occurrence here)? Would the motion sensor then re-link to a nearby repeater when the power is restored?

I think the way to do this would be to shut down the hub for 20min. AND cut all power to all the bulbs for this same time. Then power up JUST the hub. Leave the bulbs power cut. I'd let this go until you started seeing all your motion sensors reporting in HE (connected). Then after they are all back. power back up the lights.

Zigbee mesh rebuild is caused by a panic when the main hub is gone for 15+ minutes. Then they are start trying to rebuild.

Thanks! I'll try that.

As an aside, do the 1st Gen IRIS sensors play well with HE? I think I could get some for cheap.

The only thing that scares me about solutions like this one though...is if you ever lose power for more than 15 minutes...you could be right back to where you were....

Yeah, that's a worry, but if it works I'll know what to do to get the motion sensors working again.

1 Like

Not the very 1st gen Iris sensors. You want the 3326-L or 3326-L2 sensors...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-Motion-Sensor/1000321971

Thanks for that info... I'll keep looking. The price was pretty good, but if they don't work it's money wasted.

They are on clearance for ~$15 at most stores, if they have any left. That's a very good price for these very reliable and fast sensors, IMHO.

Thanks for the tip on that. They aren't available at my regular Lowes store, but I found them available at another one that is about the same distance from me. Snagged the last three there (according to their website) and will pick them up when I next travel that direction.

1 Like

I am slowly getting rid of all my Bosch sensors. They tend to just die out of nowhere and then after changing batteries is a PIA to get them to work reliably without remove and resetting.

1 Like

Not my case, I have the same problem with my 5 Bosch motions, they stay active until they get the refresh and configure commands sent from the device page, this is something that must be driver related. I hope it gets resolved.

Same for me: they get stuck but keep reporting temp. Bosch support refuses to support, they say it’s a software issue on the hub side (which sound strange, because if I power off and on the sensor, it starts working again for a while)

Did this ever get resolved? I'm switching over from Smartthings and have 2 Bosch sensors I would like to use.

1 Like

Not yet, on Friday I had one stuck on active in the morning(I did not notice) but my refresh rule is at 7pm, at that time I was out of home so when the refresh rule kick in 4 minutes later the sensor went inactive then active then inactive like 4 times, so HSM reported an intrusion, the monitoring company called me but I already looked the cameras so everything was fine, then I look the logs.

Maybe a remind to @mike.maxwell

Dang that's a shame. Mine work great outside with a huge range on smartthings. I'll probably have to change them out with a spare Iris sensor.