Solutions for pets triggering motion detectors?

I'm trying to keep things as complicated as possible. At night I have an LIFX BR30 above the shower that comes on at 20% red at night and the potty light comes on at 10% while the main lights do not come on between 10 PM and 6:30 AM.

You can even use wifi sensors from an ecobee remote sensor! But uh, youll be done with your business and gone before they come on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How have these been flakey? I went ahead and picked up 3 of them, they were cheap enough it wasn't that much of a gamble. If they don't work right I might just go with that Eco link sensor you suggested.

I ordered two.

Hopefully, they will make it to the dock this month and I will see them in June!

:slightly_smiling_face:

Here's a little trick I picked up accidentally. Covering the fresnel lens of the Xiaomi Mijia motion sensors with a piece of Scotch tape reduces their sensitivity - they continue to detect a human (me), but stop detecting any of my cats - the largest of whom is ~14 lbs.

5 Likes

I've never used them, but I've seen a number of comments about them getting stuck active. Here's a thread about it:

2 Likes

I have two of the Bosch ISW-ZDL1-WP11G, which have proven effective with 2 cats and a dog (90lbs). The only false triggers have been when the dog stands up on the couch that is 5 feet in front of the sensor. Good luck finding any PIR that will ignore that but still detect people.

2 Likes

Have you tried constructing a snoot? That worked really well for me... I've also had good luck with the NYCE curtain motion sensor. Very narrow beam. NYCE Sensor Solutions

1 Like

Just wanted to add some data here. I have a motion sensor above the doorway of my "Cat Room" pointing downward. This room has their food bowls and litter boxes, so they're in and out of there all the time.

I used to turn off Motion lighting for that room in Away/Sleep modes so it wouldn't be constantly triggered when I wasn't at home or was sleeping. After putting a piece of scotch tape on the lens, this is what that motion detector picks up now:

Every single active event corresponds to my presence in the room. There are no active events at night, and none after I leave for work.

I don't know if this method will work for other motion sensors, but it works really well for the Xiaomi Mijia/Aqara sensors.

3 Likes

I have used white electrical or gaffer tape to cover part of motion sensor fresnel lenses, that usually works well for me too.

2 Likes

They arrived today!

Larger than I expected and include six Duracell batteries. Discovered instantly and loaded Bosch drivers.

Testing now.

2 Likes

Awesome! Let us know how it does!

1 Like

Update: Having some issues.

They include two sensors - passive infrared and microwave. Instructions are included to set up and balance the two systems. I had to turn down the sensitivity of the microwave sensor - probably because it is placed in the potty closet and is sensing at short range in a small space.

:+1:

3 Likes

What kind of issues?

It triggered motion immediately on moving into the zone but then it would not stay active and turned to inactive - so the light went out.

Not good

OK.

It's a "feature".

It sounds like your motion zone time out is too short.

1 Like

Yup, I got tripped up on the lockout for both the Bosch and the Sonoff sensors. I tried to re-use some automation rules that were written for Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensors, which can re-trigger after 10 seconds. Nothing like waving your hand in front of a sensor in the dark to make you question life choices.

Yep I'm having similar issues. Mine is in the garage. I can't seem to find the balance between Microwave and PIR.

• A 6 pound cat did set it off.

• I can't quite figure out why it shows 0% battery when it has a brand new set of batteries

• Why, when I add it to the dashboard, it shows a ? in the icon (there may just be some more tweaking I need to do with them).

I can also definitively say these are not nearly as fast as the Zooz Zse18 they were intended to replace. This puts that whole ZigBee motion sensors are faster than Zwave argument to rest for me. Based on this experience, they are not.

Of the three I bought , (all new, sealed in box) one was defective out of the box (the adjustment head and screw fell out), but I don't fault the seller with that, just a defective manufacturing.

I'm not downplaying the sensor, I knew it could be flakey when I bought them, and I'll find a use for the other one, I just wanted to relay my experience for someone who may be considering them.

Edit
I realized this sounded more negative than intended.. So some positives: Easy to install, and pairs easily with a native driver.