Any Success With The Bosch Motion Sensor?

I'm quietly hoping whatever zigbee issues were exposed with @srwhite's extensive testing may clean up the "stuck on active" problem with these sensors at some point soon.

I don't know if this has been solved but my experience with Bosch ISW-ZPR1-WP13 V2.4.2.1 ZigBee PIR w/Pet Immunity has been positive. I have not had them get stuck on "on" We don't have pets so I don't know about that part. They are sensitive to human movements. The down side is that they are much larger than the Iris Gen 1 sensors I have. The upside is that they are much less expensive than the Iris Gen 2 sensors I was looking at. I have 5 of them and they fit in my ZigBee Network just fine and are stable. Perhaps that is because I also have two Iris gen 2 smart outlets which act also as repeaters.

I had great luck with 2 of them myself for a long time, and didn't even realize this was an issue for some people. So I bought 10 more, installed some of them, and was starting to plan what to do with the rest. Still, no trouble at all until one of them got stuck several weeks later. Since then, I've had that same one get stuck one more time and a different one get stuck twice. Totally random, and nothing I can blame on pets (one of mine in unfinished basement, and pets can't get there) or any other obvious factor. So, I'm not sure what triggers it, but I suspect it's one of those things that will probably happen eventually. I was skeptical too, until it happened to me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the recent zigbee stack improvements have resolved the issue. But it's too early for me to be 100% comfortable yet.

Slightly off topic -

I had one SmartThings motion sensor that would get "stuck" "active". I could clear it by removing the battery and re-inserting it. Finally I got tired of it and replaced it. None of my other SmartThings motion sensors have experienced that problem.

That's part of what confuses me about the Bosch issue. All I've had to do is click refresh and configure on the sensor device page a couple of times, and it corrects itself within 30 seconds. So far, I haven't had to physically touch either sensor to correct them.

I have 4 of the Bosch motion sensors. I had problems with them failing to reconnect to the HE after the HE was rebooted. I would have to remove and the repair them with the HE, but after the lastest HE update they have been stable. So much so that I ordered 2 more.

I paired one at a time in setting them up. Since I was starting from scratch, I was not trying to migrate them from one system to another. I don't know if that made any difference in why mine are behaving and others have had problems.

I finally paired my 2 sensors yesterday and so far they are working fine.

Is it possible to disable the red light with the driver or will I need to find a manual way and make them permanently off?

Easiest way would be a small piece of electricians tape over the light. If it still shows, put on another layer.

1 Like

For most, the red light turns off after 15 minutes and doesn't turn back on.

1 Like

Yes, That's exactly what happened. The unit seems to use the red light and very frequent reporting after the initial configuration to help you verify the Detection range, then it goes quiet after a few minutes of inactivity and doesn't come on when detection happens any more.

I am very happy with the Range and view so far, smoked my Zooz 4n1. We'll see if I get any of the locks around active/inactive but so far so good. I'm not using them for tight control of lights going on, more for lazy control of turning lights and HVAC down when I can't detect anyone.

It will also be nice if the temp sensors prove reliable.

I have 2 of these sensors set up with hubitat. One seems to work fine, but the other one never reports any motion, only temperature.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any idea why this is? It is obviously paired as it continues to report temperature. But never reporting any motion is strange.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.