Any plans for Ring doorbell integration?

Are there any plans for an official ring doorbell integration? I know there are ways around it like IFTTT and using echo Routines, but I find these solutions to be unreliable.

I am using motion as a tigger for my hue bulb. It turns on every time just fine, but the routine for turn off when motion stops fails more often than not. I would love to get this into HE so I can at least trouble shoot issues like this.

1 Like

There's a good chance you would have the same issue even if it was directly integrated with HE. I cant remeber the details but I remember the motion end event being strange with Ring. It didn't seem to act like a standard motion sensor. I just set up a timer. Turn on with motion, turn off 2 minutes later. If there was more motion within that time it would reset the timer. Seems to be working fine for me so far.

So the routine is smart Enough to reset the time of another routine? There hasn't been a situation where the light would turn off and then back on?

Not sure what you mean. Are you doing everything through the Alexa app?

I use the Alexa app for one thing only. On motion turn on an HE virtual switch. Everything else is handled by HE. Btw, the virtual switch is essentially a momentary because I have it configured with autoOff.

1 Like

How is your routine? My Ring integration uses IFTTT and RM and it works every time to turn off the light and if the light was already turned on manually then Ring motion will not turn off the light after X minutes.

I use this setup with IFTTT and RM.

Yes, I am using alexa exclusively. Adding a virtual switch seemed like the delay was longer.

I don't bother using IFTTT because everything else I have tried had too long of a delay.

I try to avoid Ifttt as much as possible. I find the Alexa app/Ring integration to be instant and reliable. Plus I already use Alexa, so one less app to add to HE

What Ring doorbell model do you have? Just asking, nothing related to your turn off issue, but thinking about your delay in a virtual switch.

Hmmm...how much more of a delay?
Maybe you can leave the on through Alexa but also have it turn on a virtual switch. Then use RM to handle the off logic. Best of both worlds.

I use IFTTT with RDB and have no delay. Once someone hits the doorbell, a virtual switch is turned on/off and Message Central announces there is someone at the front door. The last time I saw delays was when HE and IFTTT were just integrated together. Haven’t seen those issues in over 8-9 upgrades.

1 Like

I have the pro

Have you tried using IFTTT for Ring Motion Events? Or just Doorbell Pressed Events? I tried using IFTTT a few months ago for Motion Events and it was very slow, up to 5 minutes of delay. Maybe Ring/IFTTT have improved their response times?

Most probably wouldn't care about the delay. maybe half a second at most. However, it bothers me. :slight_smile:

Basically I want the light to be on before they reach the front door not after the ring the doorbell.

I know I could extend the range of the ring motion sensor, but that would get me more false alerts. Maybe what I'll do is extend the range and change the motion alert to trigger a virtual switch. I could also put a rule in to make sure it only turns on at night.

I'll have to play around with that.

1 Like

@aaron @ogiewon, that's the reason I try to stay away from IFTTT. It has always been too variable (depending on your location, the integrations, the phase of the moon and the brightness of the stars). It used to be great for me and then one day my delays increased. It would get better but then randomly not fire quickly or worse yet...it would fire way after the fact and end up messing with the timing of other automations. It's just never been reliable enough for me. I know others have very different experiences...but for me...not worth the aggravation unless it's the ONLY option.

I have had great response time with the Ring/Alexa integration and only expect it to get better now that Amazon owns Ring.

2 Likes

No just doorbell ring events. Have thought about motion but haven’t tackled that yet.

1 Like

I really like the idea of using Alexa as the bridge between Ring and Hubitat. That would allow me to turn off my ST Hub... :smile:

1 Like

Ok, I tested almost all models of Ring doorbells, the only model that worked with no notification delay was the model 1 but it doesn't have video buffer, 2 and pro they send the notification of motion with delay and they have video buffering so the motion will be recorded starting before it happens, not the case for model 1, I noticed this behavior when I was using ST, I spend days with Ring trying to get those notifications faster until I gave up. After migrating to HE then I started using IFTTT and the behavior is the same but it never failed turning off the light, it turns on the light at the same time I receive the Ring notification for motion, and that's the way it works from Ring, not HE or Alexa problem. Honestly, I gave my Ring 1 to a friend when I upgraded to have 1080p and I regret, 2 and Pro has issues with motion and the notification delay, model 1 worked perfect, but that was my case, maybe everybody else is different to me.

1 Like

This is a good idea, and maybe you can still use Alexa to turn off but the RM rule too so if Alexa fails RM solve it.

Interesting, I had assumed Alex was just voice. So are you using a routine in Alexa that sends commands to HE?

You haven't tried it yet?
It's the best I've found so far. I had it announcing through my echos as well but there was no way to choose which echo...it goes to all which is far from ideal so I had to disable it. Might set it up with TTS at some point.