Any plans for Ring doorbell integration?

I created a Virtual Switch (with autoOff so essentially a momentary) and added it to Alexa.

In the Alexa app I configured a routine that turns on this virtual switch when motion is detected by my Front Door Ring device.

Did the same for door bell presses. I then configure my automations in HE with the virtual switch...turn lights on, send Pushover, TTS whatever. It's very fast. I sometimes get my pushover message before the ring app alerts me...considering disabling the ring app notification actually.

Hey @stephack, I would like to test your setup but I'm not an Alexa user, I have a fire tablet in the wall with Sharptools, is any way I can setup this? I don't know if I can install Alexa in my android phone. Could you help me? Thanks

I'm not sure what options you will get without an Echo device but there's one way to find out. Are you an Amzon Prime member at least?

Yes, I have Prime, I got installed Alexa in my phone now, it looks like your picture, I see I have the momentary switch for Ring on Alexa already and it works, should I turn off the IFTTT rule? I don't know how to configure the routine in Alexa

Thanks and sorry to bother you

No problem...yes you should disable (dont delete because you might want to revert) the IFTTT recipe.
You would also need to install the Ring skill so you can add your ring cameras. Once the cameras appear in your devices list you can link them to the HE virtual switch with a routine.

Thanks, done, how your routine looks? I think that's what I need now, and change my RM rule to work during the day for testing proposes :slight_smile:

Edit: I found how to create the routine but Alexa can't find my Ring devices :frowning:

Did you install the Ring Skill

Yes, but I can't see any Ring device on Alexa

If you bring up your All Devices list

Did you see anything with a camera icon similar to this?

Thanks, I got the routine created, as a side note, I can't create the routine using Alexa on my phone, it says it was unsupported but in my fire tablet it just created the routine just fine. Now let me test. Thanks!

Edit: it works, I will use it to compare what is faster here between Alexa and IFTTT

1 Like

Success! Thanks @stephack. I now have one less dependency on ST. I actually wrote a new Hubitat Virtual Motion Driver (with Switch Capability) to make the Ring Motion events show up as a Hubitat Motion/Switch device. It automatically turns off the 'switch' and sets 'motion' to inactive after 3 seconds.

BTW - in my Alexa Routine, I was able to select which Alexa devices I wanted a spoken phrase played on. Doing so, I was able to have Alexa to say "There is someone at the front door" on just a single Echo device.

Here's the driver code in case anyone is interested. It is really pretty trivial.

/**
 *  Virtual Motion with Switch
 *  Copyright 2018 Daniel Ogorchock
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 *  Change History:
 *    Date        Who            What
 *    ----        ---            ----
 *    2018-11-03  Dan Ogorchock  Original Creation
 */

metadata {
	definition (name: "Virtual Motion with Switch", namespace: "ogiewon", author: "Daniel Ogorchock") {
		capability "Sensor"
		capability "Motion Sensor"
        capability "Switch"
	}   
}

def on() {
    sendEvent(name: "motion", value: "active")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
    runIn(3, off)
}

def off() {
    sendEvent(name: "motion", value: "inactive")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
}

def installed() {
}
3 Likes

Ahhh..I forgot you can do "Alexa says" as an action. I had it turned on at a device level.

I disabled it there and added directly to the routine like you said. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

how is this virtual presence sensor better in automation over using a virtual switch? I've tried to use the code in Message central and the only trigger I could find is for switch not motion.

First, it is a virtual motion sensor, not a presence sensor. So make sure you you select motion as the device type in whatever App you use.

How is it better? Well, I like to use the correct Capability whenever possible. Since Ring is reporting a Motion event, I feel that a Motion device is appropriate. However, since an Alexa Routine cannot directly change the state of a Hubitat virtual motion sensor, I added the Switch capability. This allows for 3rd party platforms like Alexa, Google Home, and IFTTT to easily change the state of a virtual device, like this motion device.

Thanks. I typed wrong, that's what I meant to say.

Ok. So why doesn't this show up as a motion sensor for a trigger then?

Works fine for me in every app I have tried (like Motion Lighting and Rule Machine). Are you sure you selected the correct Driver when manually creating the device?

doh! you make too many devices that I use. LOL. You are correct, I was using the virtual presence device driver.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance, is there any way to set up the Ring doorbell to record video through Hubitat without internet access? My understanding is that Alexa 100% requires internet access.

I don't think so... Ring stores all of their video clips in their cloud server. I am not aware of anyone figuring out a way to capture the live video stream directly from a Ring Doorbell over the LAN.