Any good OUTDOOR motion sensors (Zigbee) cheaper than Hue?

$49 and out of stock every near me.

I have one of these and they are very sensitive. With the sensitivity all the way down, it still picks up a car 100-120ft away going down the road. But they are nice, well made units.

Innr are Hue compatible and a little less than half the cost of Hue. Last time I looked they are currently about $44 for a 2 pack. They can be used either with the hue hub or directly with hubitat using the advance generic zigbee bulb driver.

I have some direct paied and some paired to a hue bridge (it was an experiment and i never changed it back).

I've been liking the Lifx far better than my Hue's that I have. Currently those are in a box with a couple of sengleds. So much better color and brightness. I'm disappointing though they put the downlights on hold due to the buy out. Br30's are available though

It also remains to be seen if they will still play well with Zooz as zooz specifically says not to use Feit with their switches. I guess it would depend on if Feit implements a change that would make them more like Feit's own products, and hence less compatible with other devices.

1 Like

I doubt it. Different technologies. I really can't see feit ruining the product with their own internals.

1 Like

Reviving a thread.
Want to replace the old PIR motion detectors from HD with a ZB outdoor sensore to trigger smart bulbs instead of an AC load switch.
Zooz seems to be the only mention for outdoor in 2022.

The Philips Hue Outdoor motion sensor is Zigbee, and pairs directly with a Hubitat hub. While a little costly, it really does a nice job.

1 Like

I bought a pair of refurb Zooz outdoor sensors a couple years ago but I've only been using them powered by USB inside of a couple outbuildings. I don't think I'd trust them outside for a long period, maybe if in a protected location. OTOH, I've had a pair of Hue outdoor sensors that ogiewon mentioned outside for a while now, one of which is totally unprotected and have not had any issues. The hues do temp and lux reporting as well as motion. I use the outside lux measurement as a condition for my indoor lighting rules.

1 Like

I have a couple, also powered by USB, under the eves of my house and garage, and they've been working great (knock on wood) for a couple of years. Original poster said Zigbee though.

I have a couple of the Zooz ZSE29 outdoor motion detectors. While they do work well, they also have a light sensor. Unless these are mounted in full shade, they will burn through batteries every few months. Unless the device is readily accessible, replacing batteries is a pain. They do come with a USB port that allows them to be powered by a USB charger, but that limits the possible install locations. They also come with a tamper switch that will alert you if someone tries to remove one from its mounting.

Thanks guys.
I'll look at sourcing a Zooz as I have power through the old mounting hole into my garage.
I'm trying to replace the old PIR.
A $20 problem with a $150 solution :rofl:

Not sure what you don't like about the Hue outdoor motion sensor. Maybe you just don't like Zigbee. For Z-Wave, there's also the Homeseer wired outdoor motion sensor if that works better than the Zooz ZSE29 for your use case.

The price. US$50!

LOL. Well that quesiton was directed to @dnickel.

However, Hue motion sensors are not always full price. I always look for the renewed or warehouse deals. Never had an issue with any Philips Hue product, new or used.

The Zooz ZSE29 is indeed on sale right now, but normally it $40 plus shipping. So unless you intend to spend $99 or more on devices, it's $46.83 at regular price in Oregon as an example. I personally prefer the mounting options of the Hue outdoor motion sensor and it's more stealth appearance under my eves.

But, since we're doing some hair splitting, there's a used Zooz ZSE29 on Amazon.com right now for $42 or a new one for $45, both with free Prime shipping. :v: :smiley:

Sadly I'm in a 3rd world shipping country, Amazon.ca :rofl:
40 USD becomes 55 CDN and shipping becomes 100. :wink:

1 Like

I'm in Canada too. I guess you don't have Amazon Prime? Hue outdoor motion are $57 full price right now, but I just saw a used one for $55 last night (gone now) which is the same price I paid for it the last time I bought. Used ones come up fairly often. I've no idea why people are returning them, because they're great sensors. Very fast and report lux constantly without needing a motion trigger first like many other sensors do. Battery life is very good.

$57 CAD for a new Hue outdoor motion sensor is actually not a bad price at all if you have Prime for free shipping. The second time I bought one used, it was that price. Zooz is just kind of an expensive option if you live in Canada.

If you intend to use lux for anything, go Hue. The ZSE29 is either day or night.

1 Like

If you're mounting under the eves, these Aqara P1 work just fine and there's a community driver for it. I have one in my garage, and while it doesn't get much below 5˚ C in there, it's batteries have lasted since purchasing in April last year.

If you just need motion, then it's fast and the reset time can be set as low as 5 seconds. The downsides are that like all other Aqara motion sensors, it needs a motion event before it reports LUX if that's important to you, and it uses two CR2430 batteries. If you don't already have other devices that use those batteries, then you'll pay more when it's time to replace them, vs the two AA batteries needed for the Hue outdoor motion sensor. According to Aqara, you will get 5 years battery life if the motion sensor is set to a 30 second reset time. That's at room temperature I'm sure, so you would get less if it's subjected to really cold temperatures.

These probably wouldn't hold up with direct exposure to the elements like the Hue outdoor motion sensor can, but I had one of the original Aqara motion sensors mounted under our eves when I lived in Toronto and it held up just fine (I'm still using the same motion sensor today). I have another one of the original Aqara motion sensors mounted in the corner of our shower stall and while it doesn't get splashed at all, it's regulararly exposed to very high steam levels and it's still chugging away.

If you're decent at soldering, you can convert an Aqara to USB power fairly easilly. You'll just need to order a 5v to 3v buck converter. These will work fine, but you can get multiple for less from Ebay or Aliexpress.

The highest illuminance one of my ZSE29s has ever reported is 900, the other 479.
Meanwhile for the hue sensors: 64504 and 45142

How adjustable is the sensitivity? Can it be set to not get triggered by pets?