Any good OUTDOOR motion sensors (Zigbee) cheaper than Hue?

@kkossev, Do you have any results to share from your outdoor test of the new mmW motion sensors? Thanks!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to do some tests outdoors so far..

There are a lot of HE users that use either Aqara FP1 or Tuya mmWave radars already, hopefully, someone can share his experience.

Any chance of a picture? How high? Im debating do this in the front of the house wherr I dont have a porch to install it under. My hue sensor on my back porch is rock solid.

Which one, the homeseer?

I have 2 zooz outdoor motion sensors, I forget the model but they are outdoor, but they recommend putting them under an eve or similiar. Mine have survived serious storms including the last hurricane, Ian. I have several zooz devices, I like them, very reliable

1 Like

I have 2 of the Homeseer G2 Floodlight Sensors .. if you have existing standard (non-low voltage) floodlights then these can be attached directly to them. @bcopeland has a hack for the older model Ring Floodlights as well which works great.

Yeah, I bought it back in 21 because of his how-to though my build is using Foscam instead of Ring

1 Like

+1 on the Zooz.

question: can you cover the detector "bulb" with saran wrap and still expect it to work?

Just remember it needs paired without security or it will crush your mesh..

1 Like

This.

I use a combo of the HUE and cameras. Cameras are not going to be cheaper unless you already are using them for security. If you are, then they are well worth using as motion sensors. Very reliable with AI.

1 Like

Covering a PIR sensor with anything will affect its sensitivity to changes in infrared radiation (i.e. heat/temperature changes) within its field of view. Saran-wrap probably less so than some other materials. But it may not have a negligible impact.

1 Like

@djh_wolf Literally thinking about doing this today as we're able to run the alarm wire needed all over the place while we're building. How reliable are the outdoor pirs do you get many false alerts? I was thinking a decent mains ac pir to an aeotec module. What do you use? Thanks

I use cheap-■■■ ac pir's from screwfix and the like. But I do try to double them up and have rules set to only activate if both fire.

Reliability? I'd say 'total'.

Although I'd be happier with potentially higher quality outdoor ones, to match the quality of the indoor 12v honeywells, which only cost about 7 quid and they're absolutely awesome.

1 Like

Anyone that has a Lowe’s Home Improvement nearby, it appears that they are clearing out the Hue outdoor motion sensors. $24 each at the one’s in North Carolina.

You are lucky. I used to purchase my Hue motion sensors at my local Home Depot, but neither my HD nor Lowes stores stocks them any more.

The last time I was in HD, it looked like they are starting to phase out the older Hue lighting for the more recent Hue Wiz Wi-Fi lights. They are a lot less expensive than the ZLL lights. Although I do not particularly like Wi-FI devices, I suspect the average homeowner is more likely to select them rather than needing a hub. When you can get a RGBW tunable light for 25% the cost of the ZLL one, even I am tempted. I have several Hue white dimmable light bulbs, but refused to pay $50 for a color capable bulb.

I bought most of mine on sale at Costco. costco.com. Often has the hue lights for a good price.

I also live in NC and couldn't find any outdoor or indoor in stock in my area. Having lived in many citys found some in Raleigh. Here are the brickseek links for those looking for inventory. I had a hard time finding them at first because Lowes doesn't include "hue" in the name and the indoor is called "white screw" and outdoor called "black screw" :rofl:
Philips Hue Outdoor Motion
Philips Hue Indoor Motion

@ogiewon looks like the outdoor motion might be in stock in your area

1 Like

You get what you pay for. There is a place for Wiz - anywhere where light quality requirements are low. I use mine for an outdoor fixture. The Hues are very high quality (and abundant in my area Home Depots).

2 Likes

The North Cary Lowe’s still had several yesterday.

1 Like