Any good OUTDOOR motion sensors (Zigbee) cheaper than Hue?

Sorry, I don't own either. Was just referencing it as an available option, but maybe somone who does own either the Zooz ZSE29 or the Homeseer HS-FLS100+ can comment.

However, the title of the this thread references Zigbee specifically, so you might want to create a new post if you have questions about those two Z-Wave outdoor motion sensors, otherwise they might get ignored by the Z-Wave enthusiasts here.

Yes I got Prime for the free Xmas 30 day run :wink:
I set up IFTTT so I have a switch that says "Motion" now when the front door Blink cam is triggered.
@velvetfoot I have a master Lux sensor (Aeon 6) for the house which runs all the automations based on outdoor light levels.
I think I'll take one more crack at replacing the old PIR and them move on to a smart switch whioch runs all 3 outdoor lights. Maybe create another IFTTT switch for the driveway cam so the lights come on with driveway motion as well as front door.
This will be handy for my wife! Without the lights coming on automatically right now she keeps trying to back into my level 2 charger in the dark! She has come soooo cm's close.

1 Like

IFTTT is a NONO for me. I used to use it, but it's slow and cloud dependent. Unreliability is not something we allow around here anymore (except for Alexa).

1 Like

I have a couple Hue sensors, but get a ton of false triggers on them on sunny days. I'm not sure if it's the sun shining on the sensor housing, or just the sun shining on the ground that it's picking up.

I'm also sort of excited to see the new ikea sensors when they become available. They're said to be IP44 rated. So okay outdoor, but maybe not in directly heavy rain.

Comment received.
I'll reasses if I can't get the old fashioned PIR replacement working properly.
Outdoor Zooz and a smart switch most likely solution.
Maybe a hybrid Zooz and IFTTT virtual motion switch.

1 Like

Did you end up doing this? Just embarking on a build and want to get a UK outdoor sensor wired in but doesn't look as though there is any wired outdoor UK ZigBee or zwave sensors available (unless I've missed one??)

So the only option looks like your idea to buy cheap P In R sensor and pair this with a ZigBee / zwave switch. Which devices did you go for?

Yeah so a pir sensor creates problems with the smart relays. You need a contactor from the pir then into the smart relay. Will drop a link on for the one i found that works. Tbh a beam sensor would be better as there’s no false positives. Would like to try that but haven’t had chance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RBYS9BA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Me either. I use all Aqara motion sensors paired with radar sensors outside and I've had no problems with them surviving last years 120 degree days..

Putting the motion sensors paired with a radar in groups solved all my false alarms.

The PIRs would false fire when cars drove by and the radars would false fire when the plants blew in the wind, but when you put them in a group that doesn't register motion unless both fire, solved all my issues.

3 Likes

I have some under eves and two out in direct sunlight. I have no issues with false triggers. Try Raising the Lux trigger and lowering the motion sensitivity. How much area/distance are you trying to cover per sensor.

I have tried others but I feel the Hue ones are best PIR sensors available and worth the price.

LJ