Android tv custom notifications

After we got my driver working, I just realised @nutcracker developed something a few years ago:

Probably not worth re-inventing the wheel, if you are happy to continue maintaining it @nutcracker (not that I expect there will be much to maintain), I'm happy to remove my driver, or vice-versa...

1 Like

Hey... I'm not actively updating my plugin so feel free to do what you want to do here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, thanks @nutcracker . I think I will continue to develop my version and release it on HPM.

2 Likes

@sburke781 Were you ever able to get the media portion working, that would be a neat add to my Sony (android) TV.

Seems like I did most of the work and never got around to releasing it :slight_smile: Can't guarantee it will work straight away, or exactly how to use it (will need to re-familiarise myself with what I was thinking). But if you're keen, you are welcome to give this version of the driver a try:

https://github.com/sburke781/AndroidTVNotify/raw/mediaOption/AndroidTVNotify_Driver.groovy

At this stage you will need to copy/paste the code onto your HE.

Great! I will give it a try, been using [BETA] AndroidTV Notifier
for sometime now on my Sony OLED TV, works good, but was looking for more, what are the limits of the image?

If you mean the width, the default value I set was 480. Not sure what the upper limit may be, I guess you will just need to play with it a little to find out.

Not getting anything to appear on the TV,

This is the error I get when I hit either button above.

Ah, yes. My bad, I hadn't finished the changes from some time ago, will get a fix out shortly.

1 Like

You can try again now, copy-paste the driver from the link I posted earlier.

Had to change the port to 7676 to see anything and I do get a gray box, but it is has not text and it is only in the lower right hand corner. No error messages anymore though.

Does this go through the Notifications for Android TV APK also, like the [BETA] AndroidTV Notifier?

1 Like

I think it is basically the same as the Beta one, I only realised that was there after I started to write mine. I've added a few things and done some slightly differently, but the mechanism they are both using is the same.

I may have translated the position incorrectly, so will check that. With the grey box, and your logs, I need to fix one or two things. Will take a look now and hopefully have something shortly.

1 Like

I did have the position translation incorrect, which I have now changed, but your experience doesn't tally with what I expected for position 3. We'll just have to see if I have now fixed it.

The media being blank in the settings should now, hopefully, not give you a blank / grey notification. EDIT - This may or may not be the media, every chance it could be the color settings I have defaulted to.

If you can try again with the updated driver, that would be great.

Nope same as before, gray box only, no text in the lower right hand corner.

Might not worry about the position for the moment. I've included some extra debug messages to try and work out what is happening.

I've also included some extra code to set the various default colours, in case the "#" was messing it up.

For the moment you may want to take out the dashboard URL from the media setting, the image option I am using will expect a link to an image file. I have noticed there are four media options, links to images, video and a web page, plus the ability to send the image file as part of the notification request. I am only providing the image url option at the moment. I expect the web option would be needed for your dashboard to be displayed.

EDIT - I expect I should be able to add these other options later. Also, if you want to include an image, you can. Perhaps try uploading one to your HE hub and getting the link via File Manager.

If you could test again with the updated driver that would be great.

Also, feel free to come back to this later. I may reach the point of trying to set this up on a spare rpi so I can test it more thoroughly myself.

Thanks again, no change, gray box only, no text, lower right corner.

Can you try clearing out the media / image URI setting and sending another notification (I haven't made any changes to the driver).

sure, cleared, here are the new logs.

Did the notification display on the TV?

sorry, no change, same as before.