Alternative Second Zigbee Meshes?

With the supply issues on hubitat hubs now leading to a whole new model, and I'm assuming, a price hike, a second hub just to keep bulbs segregated isn't looking so financially viable anymore (even if they were in stock, which for now seems indefinite)

What other options for proper bulb control are people using? I know Hue Bridge is common, but not compatible with many, Smatthings via HubVonnect maybe, though I read that takes you into the cloud and may have delay issues. I've seen some things with these USB Zigbee sticks, though not sure if setting up a HomeAssistant or something is any cheaper than one of these new hubitat hubs?

Originally I was looking into the Sylvania hubs since they seem local and HubConnect compatible, but they're being discontinued next year...

Or is everyone just rocking a 2 Hubitat hub setup?

I think that HE + Hue or multiple HE setups are equally popular. For many bulbs, a Hue bridge is an inexpensive and viable option (just get a Gen 2 or later Hue bridge).

3 Likes

I'll second the recommendation for a Hue Bridge. It's cheaper than a hub too (even the frequent sale price of the C-5, though we don't know what the C-7 is going to cost yet). This part:

isn't really true; there are just a couple brands I'm aware of that won't work (Sengled and Osram/Lightify/Sylvania) due to them using the ZHA (Zigbee Home Automation) 1.2 profile instead of ZLL (Zigbee Light Link) like Hue uses. Zigbee 3.0, among other things, combines both of these profiles, and should also work. You don't technically need a Hue v2 Bridge, but you'll miss some features with the v1 (native cloud support for things like Alexa or out-of-home control--nothing you can't make Hubitat do, but probably not something I'd by new/used at this point regardless). You can often find a new or used v2 Bridge for cheap on eBay, or if you want Hue bulbs anyway, it comes with any "starter pack."

So, if all of your bulbs would work with Hue--examples include things like Hue, Ikea Trådfri, Cree Connected, GE Link, Gledopto, Innr, Eria, and many others--then I'd say this is a good option. Sylvania, if you already have those, is unfortunately not (unless you're lucky enough to have ZLL firmware on them--something the European versions reportedly still do but which they stopped letting US customers cross-grade to a while back, forever putting this company on my "naughty list"), and your assessment about ST to Hubitat via HubConnect is correct regarding the need for cloud connectivity (so not something I'd do).

Home Assistant with a Zigbee stick, including the HUSBZB-1 (also found on pre-C5 Hubitats) or a few other methods, would work, and you'd only be out the cost of the stick plus whatever hardware (a Raspberry Pi is popular) you choose to run it on. However, it's a lot more work to set up. If you have the technical aptitude (and the desire to deal with Home Assistant's beta status and occasional breaking changes, plus the ability to set up some integration between HASS and Hubitat like the HACS Hubitat add-on or MQTT), then it should work, though I can't speak from experience with bulbs in that regard. If you don't already have the hardware, it probably won't be cheaper than a Hue Bridge, and almost certainly wouldn't if you include the value of your time. :slight_smile: (My opinion.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the in-depth answer! Pity to hear as unfortunately I'm stuck with a good amount of non-compatible bulbs as you mentioned with Hue, so it doesn't help my situation.

Looks like a second Hubitat is my only option short of replacing all of my bulbs+led strip lights. I got my first Hubitat on sale for $90 or so, looking like this second one might be closer to $150, brutal, but I guess with demand...

I've seen some dongle-style USB stick plugs, would any of those work direct w/ Hubitat C5? Looks like these are deployed for alternative Z-wave transmitters in Europe, would plugging in a Zigbee equivalent potentially work/does anyone know of any community supporting driver/projects like this? I haven't seen any in my searches, but maybe I'm overlooking something built-in like the z-wave?

AFAIK, each HE can have just a single zigbee and a single z-wave network.

Correct. But when they're plugged in, the internal z-wave radio is disabled.

Edit:

What bulbs do you have? THere is a community integration to use the Osram Lightify Gateway with Hubitat (locally). ANd those are dirt cheap on eBay.

Yeah, I saw that, but support (and the servers) is being d/ced in about a year.

Hubitat's integration with the Lightify gateway is fully local. No cloud servers involved.

1 Like

Oh wow, I don't think i realized that! Should be able to keep it from being effected then when the switch goes off! Just ordered one! Thanks so much!

Commissioning of new devices (joining them to the bridge) requires the Lightify Cloud though, doesn't it? So, if you ever have to re-join a device to the bride, you're SOL aren't you?

From the second graph:

When the [Lightify servers are switched off on August 31, 2021, most of the functionality of the Lightify app will stop working, including the ability to add new devices

I think @adamkempenich plans to make that local as well (I know he’s been crazy busy at work for the last 2-3 months!).

I have 4 lol

HE + Hue works well for me (I have several Hue and many Gledopto lamps).

Due to issues with my Zigbee, I've gone the deCONZ route. Since installing, not one device has dropped off my Zigbee network (including a lot of Xiaomi devices). I'm then using this in Node Red and if I need any devices in HE (for Dash use), I use virtual devices to control them. The support for bulbs is very good, albeit not all Zigbee ZHA devices are sully supported.

Its fast, and still local.

1 Like

I don’t get the point of this thread, but I’m intrigued. Can someone explain why you would want to “segregate” bulbs and what you would be segregating them from? Thanks.

There are two Zigbee protocols, Zigbee ZLL and Zigbee ZHA.
ZLL is typically for bulbs, and don't repeat (or can repeat, and repeat badly) ZHA devices.

Its normally best to keep bulbs away from your other devices (contacts, motion etc).
A nice thread here on it :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

1 Like

Good question. I have to downvote Hue for multiple reasons, mainly their ridiculous prices. If you have unlimited cash, go hue. Although to me it's a waste of resources. I'd rather donate the excess cash to feed some starving kids than give it to a company that charges insane prices. I mean who really needs color lights, it's so first world. Another reason , in the US, their hub only supports their bulbs and maybe 1 or 2 other brands.I could never get any bulbs to connect to the Hue hub.

I use smart things for ZLL, and despite their cloud, it's fast(gotten faster over last year) and extremely reliable, and just works. I forget the exact numbers, but I had done a compare on 2 light automations, 1 on HE, 1 on ST. In the same year the HE automation failed ~10 times, the ST automation-ONCE, due to their stupid cloud issues.

I love Hubitat and talk them up all over the place, but come the C7(yes I'm buying one, hope springs eternal-hopefully better signal, like ST) and these same issues , I'm out.
I've dedicated hundreds of hours chasing ghosts, rebuilding meshes, soft resets, repeaters out the wazoo. NONE of which was needed on ST.

Rant over, get an ST hub would be my suggestion, it just works, and Samsung isn't going anywhere.

NB- The opinions expressed here are exclusively those of the author, and in no way are to be construed expert advice or even remotely correct.

2 Likes

I have Hue and ST here (ST now sits lifeless on the shelf). And to a certain extent I would agree with you, and also those bulbs if Generic would run local with ST. But........ With Hue they are all local, and you don't have to buy just Hue.

I have a few Hue, but also a lot of INNR and Osram (Lightify) bulbs running on Hue, which are a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus I think you can pick up a Hue hub marginally cheaper than an ST hub?

Horses for courses :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting, I've been reading reports that Osram/Lightify/Smart+ bulbs don't pair to Hue properly, first I'm seeing of success, good to know. Only bulbs or do you run any of their LED strips?

I have quite a few Bulb types on there. INNR CT, and RGBW.
A couple of LED drivers (I cant remember their name, they show as Shenzen_Homa in Hue app).
Osram RGBW, GU10's and GU5, Ikea Tradfri, GU10's, e14 and Tradfri LED drivers. And a Gledopto RGBW spotlight in the garden. So yeah quite a few work with them.