Alternative Second Zigbee Meshes?

@Royski is lucky enough to be in the UK where these come flashed with ZLL firmware. In the US, they're ZHA, and they (Sylvania/Osram) used to provide the firmware to end-users to allow them to switch between the two but stopped doing that under the promise they were standardizing on Zigbee 3.0 (where this would not be an issue), which as far as I know they still haven't done (maybe their newest hardware revisions are? I haven't tried, since this behavior forever put them on my "do not buy" list).

But besides Sengled (also ZHA), they are one of two brands I can think of that won't work with a Hue network. Ikea TrΓ₯dfri, Cree, GE Link, Innr, Eria, Gledopto, and probably many others I can't think of off the top of my head all work--most should unless they're ZHA only (so Zigbee 3.0 and ZLL should both be fine). I'm not sure where the rumors got started that nothing else worked, aside from the brief few weeks where Hue experimented with a Zigbee whitelist where only specific devices could join (something you'll see on some Zigbee netowrks, not Hubitat of course, but which Hue backtracked on after lots of complaints). It is true (and this was supposedly the reason they tried that) that not all features are supported, like default power-on settings, HomeKit, and that color/CT and level expression may vary between brands.

My 2 cents are that IKEA bulbs in the UK caused me headsched on Hue. They would flash randomly, I ended up changing loads of them and still getting the same issue. IKEA were meant to be fixing it but at the time I sold my Hue they hadn't

Initially I had the same issue until Hue updated, and also Ikea released new FW. I bought their hub purely for FW updates. They work very well on Hue now, I have 10 GU10's in one room, no issues. And a few E14's dotted around too.

@bertabcd1234, as yes I do remember reading Osram were ZHA in the US somewhere. :+1: Even here you will get "unresponsive" in the UI pretty much all the time, yet they work lol. Strange breed Osrams.

That's good to know @Royski it's a shame I sold my Hue hub, although I have all my bulbs on the Hubitat at the moment and no issues as yet, I do want to increase my gu10s tho

1 Like

You could do a lot worse than going for Ikea GU10'S and sticking them on HE. They will repeat ZHA devices :wink: I've checked with an Xbee, and my Xiaomi devices used to love them. Although all now removed, long story, but they are still repeating now on deCONZ :+1:

The lamp is an Ikea e14, the Landing sensor a Hue motion sensor, and the dimmer an Ikea Puck.

Wow, that great. How did you change your xbee view to have device names?
Or is that the monalisa board?

1 Like

The IKEA pucks work on HUE?

Thanks, good repeating, but they seem to be one of the most basic feature sets I've ever seen on a bulb. No changeable color temp, RGB, or even dimmable, just on/off, and I'd need a slew of shaky mount converters on just about everyone one of them out here in the US. Looks reliable, but I switched to a Smarthome so I could have a more advanced lighting system than the old switches provided.

1 Like

Thats on deCONZ. I move all my zigbee devices over to that, and tie them together in Node Red.
Basically, I have too many Xiaomi devices, and as we all know they don't play well with HE, but I'm too heavily invested in them to change just now. And in the UK, doing so will not be cheap. So it was cheaper to buy a conbee, and give it a try. TBH I'm very happy I did!

All my Xiaomi devices have stayed connected, not a single drop in 4 days. On HE, all thesewould have dropped by now :smiley:

And it also gives you a great map, without having to have an Xbee and XCTU. For me, after a year of Zigbee hell, its almost like sitting outside watching the stars hahahaha :joy:

Apologies for hijacking this @RJ42. But I hope some things were useful :wink:

On deCONZ :+1:

1 Like

Also, the issue is less that the mesh needs more ZHA repeaters and more that Lightify bulbs also try to repeat other devices, but can't do it functionally usually.

Yeah, understood. But they are dimmable at least. And for a few quid more you can get the colour temp too.

But given that you want that nice changeable bulbs etc, I would certainly recommend Hue. It is one thing you can do well. There's loads of apps to make things very nice for it too. As all have said, expensive bulbs, but I'm yet to find a colour bulb that does it quite as well as they do, robbing thieves! :slight_smile:

They should

There is a 3rd party app to pair it

That being said I never got it to work

+1 for deCONZ. I run deCONZ which is managed by DIYHue. So,it interfaces to Hubitat like any other Hue bridge would. It also supports a lot more devices than Hue does. I even have a Lutron Connected Bulb Remote set up as a button controller thanks to deCONZ (and Node-Red).

1 Like

So deconz requires home β– β– β–  sistant to be setup first, correct?
I checked HA and it didn't look so simple. all that yaml jazz, and already my simple hobby is eating up too many hours !

Thanks Royski

No, you don't need it at all :wink:
As long as you have a Conbee, or Conbee II etc, you can install it on its own.

Take a look here.

They can keep that crap for me :joy:

Phew, I thought I'm missed a trick there, but seems it doesn't support Xiaomi switches?

Yeah it does.

Yeah deCONZ does, which is where I have them, but I don't see those supported in diyHue.
So if I had that set up, I wouldn't get my contacts, motion sensors, switches etc into HE via the Hue emulator.

There's a really great deCONZ library for Node-Red which allows for integration without having to deal with the Websocket connection. But in general, deCONZ is just a REST API for the Conbee module. It's well documented so it would be easy for someone who's more knowledgeable about these things to write a direct interface for Hubitat.