A newbie idiot with lots of Tradfri

Hi all! I've been slowly building a smart home with lots of Ikea Tradfri devices (I live next door to an Ikea and all the devices are dirt cheap!) but like many, I'm looking to do more complex things and mix them into other devices (Smartbot, my random Aliexpress zigbee finds etc) which Google Home won't do do alone.

ENTER HUBITAT! Found a C-5 hub from someone upgrading to the 7. Its set up and ready to go but I'm being an idiot and can't see any Tradfri advice on these forums that is less than three years old.

1. Do I need to pair my (newer 2022 version) Tradfri Hub to Hubitat, if so, how?
  2. Do all the devices need adding one by one, even if already in Tradfri app?
  3. I have Tradfri GU10s, switches and remotes not in Hubitat's native compatibility list - is there a community-made driver anywhere?

And unrelated to IKEA:
4. I have a Tuya bluetooth fingerbot that switches on my kettle - its dumb but I like it. Any chance of getting it in Hubitat or do I ditch it for Zigbee one?
5. When I get to getting my Smartbot stuff (lock and switch) does their hub need to go in too?

Apologies in advance for annoying newbie questions. I'll get there!

You can pair most of the devices directly to hubitat using generic drivers. Not all devices are in the hubitat compatibility list but if they follow standard zigbee protocol they should work.

@idkate HE doesn't support bluetooth

1 Like

Thanks - so do I need to add the hubs that all these products came with or not?

(Fair enough on the Bluetooth thing, it was only a cheap one that I can replace)

Hubitat does not have an integration with the Ikea hub, so direct connection is your best option when supported.

Some Ikea devices don't work; the 5-button "steering wheel" remote (and possibly more of their button/remote "switch" devices--and any I do know work require a community driver, which I'd search for your exact model here to find), both generations of motion sensors, and at least some color bulbs (at least for full functionality, and in some cases there are also community drivers to work around their oddities) are some that I know of that don't work.

But you can at least try to pair and see what happens. Generally, Zigbee devices will be put into "pairing mode" when reset, which the Ikea app walked you through when removing last time I checked, or the device manual usually says as well (if you can figure out the pictograms they use, ha).

If this isn't desirable and you have a lot of patience, Ikea's 2022 hub is supposed to support Matter, and we've seen hints that Hubitat is looking into it (though nothing announced for sure now). So, there is maybe hope for some kind of direct integration in the future. I'm not counting on Matter being a be-all, end-all to all interoperability, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that. :smiley:

3 Likes

Just to add a little to the already great advice you've received.

1. Not supported ATM. But you can use an alternative method.
  2. ZigBee devices can only be part of one mesh.
  3. Some Tradfri devices work with the built in generic drivers. You'll have to trial and error it.
  4. Only by using a community integration for the Tuya hub.
  5. Yes. But again using a community integration.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.