Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Yeah Iโ€™ve got one that I hosed in an electrical box to control a pedestal fan. Unfortunately it never worked as anything other than an on / off switch despite using the Zigbee dimmer driver.

I've just ordered some Shelly Wifi Dimmers that will replace my Hue dimming bulbs and my failed Fan controller. I'll prolly flash them with tasmota too.

I plan to use this case and splice them into the lamp cables.

1 Like

I got these for my hue dimmer switches...... died within a month. Wonder if its the switch or the battery. Curious to see how yours go

PS: They were $10.75 for 10 when i got them in Nov 2020. Price has gone up so much

I can't actually remember replacing any of the batteries in my Hue Dimmers, maybe one at best... I've had most of them for about 18 months to 2 years now I think it's been, may a little more for some. They were on the Hue bridge up until a few months ago, now on my Conbee2 stick, will be interesting to see how they go.

I've had the dimmers paired to my hue bridge before hubitat arrived for almost 2 years as well. Never needed to change the batteries and were solid. I moved them off to hubitat since and hey have been the most unreliable component. They were frequently dropping off the network and I have to keep resetting them. Thought it was a mesh issue so I added some repeater. Added an ikea repeater and some smartthings plugs seems to improve a little. Then I added those telstra plugs and all 8 of them just dropped off the network at the same time. Tried changing channels which seems to improve the dropout rate a little but the battery drain is still crazy

And within a month of moving them to hubitat the batteries also started dying. Thought it was high time but then the new batteries I got also died within a month. So i'm thinking the switches are not playing nice with hubitat. Considering moving them back to the hue hub now. the WAF score is dropping rapidly on them.

I was mentioning the migration of my Hue setup to HE just recently and someone mentioned that one of the reasons for keeping them on the bridge is to do with the different variation of the Zigbee protocol, which can play havoc I believe when mixing them with devices that use the other one, I think it is ZLL and ZHA. Since I have ported my lights and motion sensors to my new C-7 and most of my Samsung contact sensors and buttons are on my C-4, I think the recommendation in my situation is to keep these the way they are, and not port the Samsung devices over to the C-7 alongside the Hue devices. My situation is also a little different to yours in that I have the dimmers connected to a Conbee2 stick, not to HE directly.

This was one of the comments I was thinking of...

1 Like

Yeah, I have read many comments regarding ZHA vs ZLL which is why I left my ZLL bulbs on the hue bridge. However I understand it only applies to bulbs and mains connected device (i.e. stuff that repeats) so the battery devices shouldn't be an issue as they are non repeating. My samsung contact sensors and hue motion sensors have been solid on hubitat. It's just the hue dimmers that are not playing nice on hubitat and from the sounds of posts in the forum, its quite a common issue. Gonna have to look into a conbee2 i guess.... another rabbit hole to run down to :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

FYI
I completed my C4 to C7 migration over a week ago and Iโ€™m really happy with how it went and how itโ€™s been functioning.
I allocated 2 days, followed the accepted practice of building outwards from the hub with repeaters, restoring the backup onto the C7.
I did the Zigbee mesh first (day 1) and it picked up 98% of my devices with only a couple which needed a battery pull for them to be detected and one that was detected as new device, as if itd been fully reset.
Zwave (day 2 but really only 3-4 hours) was just as easy, but I have less than a dozen Zwave switches, contacts and repeaters, following @bravenelโ€™s guide.
The two days allowed plenty of time to test and confirm, each deviceโ€™s operation with the hub, without stressing me out.

6 Likes

I've got a couple of the Shelly dimmers. They're great. A bit of fiddling to get the settings right to stop flicker but happy with how they're working now. I initially thought I'd Tasmota them but they are natively supported in HE so no need. I like the web interface on the Shelly. I'm guessing you'd lose that if tasmotised.

1 Like

Oh nice, I didnโ€™t realise they had native support.

Can someone help me out with who I would tag to get the attention of official support? I have sent 2 emails to the official support address over the past 3 weeks, as well as posting a message on the official FB page, with no response so far (as far as I know}. I say as far as I know as my email messed up over 3 days coving the weekend just gone, and I didn't receive all my messages. So it is possible they responded then, but not as far as I know. My hub has been stuck on 85% initialising for 3 weeks and I just want to hear from someone.

@bravenel is one I think, who are the others?

@bobbyD Check post above.

1 Like

Hi there, if it's more convenient, you can send me a private message, here. I didn't notice any messages in the Facebook group and didn't see any emails coming through from you.

1 Like

Thanks @bobbyD, I have just replied to your DM.

1 Like

All sorted. Back up and running after a soft reset.

2 Likes

Ok, I'm preparing myself for a lynching here. I own a smartthings hub I bought from RACV in one of their sales while I was buying some door contacts. It's still in its package. I think my reasoning at the time was to update device firmware and native support for Ikea tradfri gear doing a hub to hub wth HE. I'm thinking about flogging it off. Any good reason I should keep it? Anyone else use an ST hub with a HE?

I keep the one I bought second hand for Zigbee firmware updates.

1 Like

Are there many brand ZigBee devices that can update via ST? I didn't think there were that many really.

I used it to upgrade my Zen Thermostats and for me, that was worth the $50 my ST v2 cost.

1 Like

I should dig deeper into the firmware update ability and see if any of my devices would benefit.

1 Like