Alternative options for Blink camera integration

Blink has made some changes that appears to have broken @snell excellent custom integration based on an undocumented API. That integration has served us well but at the moment, it appears that it is end of life. See [PROJECT] Driver for Blink API for details. [UPDATE Nov 8: It is not dead yet. See thread.]

Per suggestion in that thread, I'm creating this one to discuss alternative solutions. One alternative is IFTTT assuming that still supports Blink (that's what I was using previously, but now have weened myself off IFTTT and hope to stay that way).

I've now made do with integration with Blink via Alexa. I will post those ideas in this thread shortly.

5 Likes

Tried to get this working through Alexa but without success so far. Please share your success, very interested.

1 Like

Same, and following.

1 Like

Scenario: A Blink camera detects motion while armed. Use this event to trigger actions in Hubitat.

Virtual Switch - Blink Back Yard Back View Detects Motion (via Alexa routine) is a virtual switch in Hubitat that is shared via the Hubitat Amazon Echo Skill to Alexa.

In Alexa (with the Blink skill linked), I created this routine. Upon motion, it turns the switch on. The virtual switch turning on is a trigger for actions in Rule Machine. The Alexa routine turns the switch off after 30 seconds to reset.

The way that I've used with is Alexa is to set up a virtual switch/contact sensor for arm/disarm on HE and expose it to Alexa. On the Alexa side when I turn the switch on I have an Alexa routine with a custom output that tells it to issue a "ask Blink to arm xxxx"; for off the same except it issues a "ask blink to disarm xxxx, my pin is 9999"

Motion similar to @HAL9000.

Edit: If you are using multiple Sync Modules you will need to create one switch per as Alexa doesn't handle multiple actions for the same trigger (only one routine will fire if two or more use the same trigger.)

Scenario: Arm or disarm a specific sync module as an action in Hubitat.

Virtual Switch to Tell Blink to Arm/Disarm Armed When Away Cameras is a virtual contact sensor with switch in Hubitat. A virtual switch by itself cannot be used to trigger Alexa routines. This device is surfaced to Alexa via the Amazon Echo Skill.

In Alexa (with the Blink skill linked), I created this routine, and a similar routine to disarm with contact sensor closes. The action in the Alexa routine is a Custom action for Alexa to respond as if I said to Echo Flex in Garage "Arm Sync Armed when Away with PIN zero zero zero zero." When you create this custom action, it will present a dialog box asking if you are sure you want to include the PIN, then confirm.

The result is a virtual switch in HE that I can turn on and off to arm or disarm this sync module. For the moment I have a device designated as the responding device being one where I won't normally hear it.

Yup. I was working on my write-up of that and missed your post. Great minds think alike.

1 Like

I'm assuming it's just a regular virtual switch? No special driver?

For the first scenario (motion triggers action), just a virtual switch. Rule of thumb:

If you want an event in Alexa to trigger something in Hubitat, you can use a virtual switch.

If you want an event in Hubitat to trigger something in Alexa, you have to use a contact sensor (or motion sensor). I find it convenient to use stephack's combo since I can treat it as a switch on the Hubitat side.

1 Like

To save the trouble of looking, I just done this yesterday,

/*
 * Virtual Contact Sensor with Switch
 * Created by Stephan Hackett
 */

metadata {
    definition (name: "Virtual Contact Sensor with Switch", namespace: "stephack", author: "Stephan Hackett") {
		capability "Sensor"
        capability "Contact Sensor"
        capability "Switch"

command "open"
		command "close"
    }
	preferences {
        input name: "reversed", type: "bool", title: "Reverse Action"
	}
}

def open(){
	sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "open")
	if(reversed) switchVal = "off"
	else switchVal = "on"
	sendEvent(name: "switch", value: switchVal)
}

def close(){
	sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed")
	if(reversed) switchVal = "on"
	else switchVal = "off"
	sendEvent(name: "switch", value: switchVal)
}

def on(){
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
	if(reversed==true) contactVal = "closed"
	else contactVal = "open"
	sendEvent(name: "contact", value: contactVal)
}

def off(){
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
	if(reversed==true) contactVal = "open"
	else contactVal = "closed"
	sendEvent(name: "contact", value: contactVal)
}

def installed(){
	initialize()
}

def updated(){
	initialize()
}

def initialize(){
	sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
	sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed")

}

,, or follow the link I provided. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol, @HAL9000 I should have start reading from post one, eh.

1 Like

Did anyone notice that you don't have to do a custom action to Arm the Blink now with Alexa. You can select the specific Blink module from Devices and action will be "Arm Away". There is no "Disarm" yet that i see so it will be a custom action for that one still.

1 Like

Assuming that Hubitat and Blink will eventualy implement matter, I wonder if that would solve the problem.

In the mean time I setup my blink into HA and use HADB to integrate it into HE. Since I only need arm and disarm it is working ok for me. Be aware that HADB does not support Alarm Keypad. I use virtual switchs in HA and a few automation to link to blink aforementioned actions.

Sadly, I see no Blink in the menu for Google Home integration for a workaround. :frowning:

Using Alexa as a middle man as described above. Is there a way to mute Alexa entirely to not get the speech every time I arm or disarm the Blink Sync Module?

I'm interested in getting cams/feeds/triggers via Security app in Synology NAS - I just began today... wonder how far I can get with that.

I don't think you will get very far with Synology Surveillance and Blink cameras. I have both and Blink cameras are not true IP cameras, even though they get an IP address. The must be controlled through the app. Unless there is an integration between Synology and Blink that I missed.

Could use Echo Speaks to set the volume to zero and then restore it…

For me, the most used feature of snell’s driver was the ability to turn motion sensing on and off by individual camera. I want to have my entire perimeter monitored 24/7 but my pool and lanai area I don’t want to record when we are home except at night when we are asleep. I used his driver to turn motion sensing on on those cameras when we leave during the day and turn it off on those cameras when we return or during night time hours when we are home and asleep.

Does anyone know of any alternatives for this use case?

LJ

1 Like