[PROJECT] Driver for Blink API

Is there anything we can do to help? If you think your app is specifically being blocked by their API perhaps we can open incident tickets against their API for example?

1 Like

Well the API isn't officially an API so ....

2 Likes

@snell This integration has worked extremely well for me and got me out of IFTTT for good. Thanks so much for the good ride and I appreciate your continuing to look for resolution.

In the meantime, would you prefer alternatives be discussed here or we start a new thread (similar to the MyQ alternatives thread? For example, I'm now detecting motion and arm/disarm via integration with Alexa, and that seems to work OK.

2 Likes

After two years of great service from this integration, sadly, I too had to seek an alternate solution. Thank you @snell for your effort and continuous support. Hopefully this situation is only temporary.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, as @thebearmay mentioned, the API is not official. Blink never followed through on their commitment to release the API (arguably because Amazon bought them before they did and it was not Amazon's commitment...). So all use of the API has always been unofficial at best. Raising a ticket will not help.

@HAL9000:
I would recommend an Alternative thread be created. I can put a link to it from the initial post of this one. It may be wishful thinking but I hope it will be possible to revive this driver at some point.

3 Likes

Thread for alternative solutions for Blink integration

Should I still hold my breath or do you think the API ship has sailed? I'm on the verge of pulling the Blink HE integrations, but I don't want to go down that route unless we're sure it's completely dead.

@HAL9000: I added the Alternatives thread to the initial post, thanks!

@3rdStng: It is still pretty recent but it SEEMS like the driver is pretty well blocked. The good thing about Hubitat is you could just pause any Rules or make an Export of them if the driver can work again so that stuff would be easier to restore.

If there is overall demand, I can produce an update that will effectively disable the driver, setting all the scheduled activity (except the version check) to be manual only. That way it would not get the errors against the server and the devices could be left there. But it is not all that difficult to remove and re-add if needed.

3 Likes

Sooooooooooo %&@*!# annoying when companies make their products less useful.

Fingers crossed for your efforts @snell

4 Likes

MANDATORY UPGRADE

Updated Version(s):

• BlinkAPI.groovy = 0.5.6

Change(s):

• Addition of a User-Agent header to all API calls. This was previous just left to whatever Hubitat provided, but apparently Blink chose to block that as of November 3rd, 2022. On @tomw's idea about how they might be blocking I changed the User-Agent submitted in all calls and it is now functional again. I will make a longer-term option (let users change the User-Agent as a Preference) in the future, but I wanted to get this fix out ASAP.
11 Likes

Yep, that did it. Thanks!

1 Like

Now I can sleep well again tonight... This has been a pretty miserable few nights for me trying all sorts of stuff only to see it fail.

10 Likes

Happy dance. Sadly I started unwinding Blink from my secondary HE earlier today. But now I have a project for the evening.

Can you explain the User-Agent piece? Is that the description of the "device" that is connecting to their servers? A few years back I was using their API calls and included "iPhone" in my API string. This was until they sent me a nasty message to stop using the APIs. That's when I went to IFTTT. And this was all before I had HE and was still on Vera too.

1 Like

Just a note, you may want to add/update the update on your initial post @snell

Thanks for your perseverance and kudos to @tomw

1 Like

Hell yeah! Back on track! Thank you @snell

YMMV but on my HE that I never touched Blink on, I needed to re-authorize, enter my PIN, and Get Homescreen for Blink to start working again.

I had deleted the devices when they stopped working. Updated the code, then tried to re-install using the BlinkAPI device. Entered my password and account info, turned reauthorize to false, then clicked Authorize.

But I never get an email from Blink with the PIN to verify.

Any thoughts???

Can you double check the version of the driver? That still looks very much like the recent problem. You want to remove your log image also with your ClientID showing.

Reauthorization may be needed, I had to, but assumed it was due to the "mess" I made of things on mine while trying to fix it.

1 Like