[PROJECT] Driver for Blink API

Sooooooooooo %&@*!# annoying when companies make their products less useful.

Fingers crossed for your efforts @snell

4 Likes

MANDATORY UPGRADE

Updated Version(s):

• BlinkAPI.groovy = 0.5.6

Change(s):

• Addition of a User-Agent header to all API calls. This was previous just left to whatever Hubitat provided, but apparently Blink chose to block that as of November 3rd, 2022. On @tomw's idea about how they might be blocking I changed the User-Agent submitted in all calls and it is now functional again. I will make a longer-term option (let users change the User-Agent as a Preference) in the future, but I wanted to get this fix out ASAP.
11 Likes

Yep, that did it. Thanks!

1 Like

Now I can sleep well again tonight... This has been a pretty miserable few nights for me trying all sorts of stuff only to see it fail.

10 Likes

Happy dance. Sadly I started unwinding Blink from my secondary HE earlier today. But now I have a project for the evening.

Can you explain the User-Agent piece? Is that the description of the "device" that is connecting to their servers? A few years back I was using their API calls and included "iPhone" in my API string. This was until they sent me a nasty message to stop using the APIs. That's when I went to IFTTT. And this was all before I had HE and was still on Vera too.

1 Like

Just a note, you may want to add/update the update on your initial post @snell

Thanks for your perseverance and kudos to @tomw

1 Like

Hell yeah! Back on track! Thank you @snell

YMMV but on my HE that I never touched Blink on, I needed to re-authorize, enter my PIN, and Get Homescreen for Blink to start working again.

I had deleted the devices when they stopped working. Updated the code, then tried to re-install using the BlinkAPI device. Entered my password and account info, turned reauthorize to false, then clicked Authorize.

But I never get an email from Blink with the PIN to verify.

Any thoughts???

Can you double check the version of the driver? That still looks very much like the recent problem. You want to remove your log image also with your ClientID showing.

Reauthorization may be needed, I had to, but assumed it was due to the "mess" I made of things on mine while trying to fix it.

1 Like

@thebearmay gave some of it. Basically it identifies what the "browser" is to the server (since these are http/https requests). Stuff like it uses Mozilla x version, handles x other stuff... It is a fairly long string.

I am not sure what Hubitats provide by default (I have never checked my own webserver's logs for it)...

Ok, I'm an idiot. I uploaded driver version 0.5.4.

All good now. Thanks!

No worries. Since the drivers are copying the files over in a browser, from a webserver, there have often been cases of cached versions (even though I do not save any of the old versions, especially not on the server). So you might have done it to begin with, but the browser might have tried to "help" and thwarted your efforts.

@snell : Thank u!!
@tomw : good job, thx to u too.

1 Like

Snell just wanted to jump in and (a) say thanks for all your work on this, and (b) please do not lose sleep over these things in the future. Youre doing this unpaod and dont owe us anything, dont let stuff like this affect your mental health!

Thanks again!

7 Likes

I just installed this for the first time. I am not able to authorize - getting the " Blink API - Unauthorized" message. I thought perhaps my username and password were wrong so I logged out of the app and then back in again to confirm my credentials. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The first thing to do is run the Authorize command with the Reauthorize set to false. After that you should get the PIN sent to you by Blink (since they require PINs for new logins). Put the PIN in the Verify PIN command's field and the click the Verify PIN button.

You should be good to go after that.

First all, thanks for all your work on this. I've been using your driver, et al, since the beginning.
I noticed the lack of Blink response within Hubitat earlier this month and found this thread.

I've deleted all my "old" Blink drivers and devices.
I've installed the new drivers per your instructions. All good.
When I get to the "authorize" task (UN and Pwd all good) I only get "pending" and no response from Blink via email with the PIN.

On my Android tablet I can access my cameras through Blink's app with no problem.

Here's a typical response from the logs:

2022-11-15 11:25:30.304 AMerror Blink Parent - Request timed out response during authorization

dev:7152022-11-15 11:25:25.031 AMerror Blink Parent - No Authorization Token. Please Authorize and (if required) Verify PIN.

dev:7152022-11-15 11:25:20.052 AMerror Blink Parent - Request timed out response during authorization

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help.