All my zigbee devices stopped responding

Oh not that far at all, down the hall and at the back of the room so prob about 8 to 10m walking. But our house is brick so might make it a bit harder. Once I get all my sensors that I want I will have to look into getting an Xbee just to be sure stays connected for when I go away. Where did you get yours from?

Internal walls are brick? Where do you live?

Yeah all brick. Perth, Australia

I got no idea why all houses here are brick as I am from the east coast and that is not the norm over there. It's a real pain when trying to add new things like wall mounted dashboard as have to follow where the cables are already run.

Great Scott! May you never have an earthquake.
You definitely need an Xbee or two.

Zigbee issue just happened to me - ended up resetting the stick and changing the channel to 20. I have a ST Motion sensor (2015 I think) and a Securifi Peanut Plug. Moved the Peanut Plug closer to hub and (re)paired it first (generic zigbee outlet) then the motion sensor (generic zigbee motion). I am assuming the Peanut plug acts as a repeater - the motion sensor seemed to pair quickly and it's on the other side of our house.

Things are working this morning but will continue to monitor. I am not a really a big fan of the zigbee stuff anyway but have a bunch of devices left over from the SmartThings hub.

I hate digging up an old thread, but I also hate starting a new one for the same issue.

I have the newer hub with the integrated radio. Every time the hub reboots (such as for a firmware update), several zigbee devices disconnect. The only way I've found to reconnect them is to do unplug the hub and restart, then re-pair the devices. A soft reboot will not work - the device has to lose power. I've opened a ticket with hubitat, but posting here since the requirement to unplug the device hadn't been mentioned in the thread.

Which devices in particular?

You should be able to re-join the devices without removing them from your device list, by putting them in pairing mode and starting Zigbee discovery in the hub's UI. You'd see a message along the lines of "Paired previous added device..."

Having to unplug the hub is strange, but note that the Hubitat system should be safely shut down before pulling power form the hub hardware.

I've seen it with Iris and Samsung door/window sensors. I usually discover it because they get stuck "open" and then HSM won't arm. I haven't yet caught any others, but it's tricky to track down. They don't show as missing or anything - they just stop reporting any updates. I'd blame the iris sensors, but it's happened with the Samsungs too. Most of my other devices are z-wave.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm able to do. But only after removing power from the hub. I can reboot the hub, factory reset the sensor, anything else and it won't re-pair. Only removing power from the hub works. It only occurred to me to try it because I had previously returned a hub to Amazon that was lost contact with the z-wave radio entirely on several occasions.

Everything you are describing is very strange and unexpected behavior, so yes it would be best to have Hubitat Support help you with it.

Unfortunately, the first time it came up they blamed the batteries in my devices despite them being brand new, and now they're just blaming the zigbee network. I mean, maybe zigbee truly is some dark voodoo, but it's completely reliable until the hub reboots, can only be fixed by a hard power cut to the hub, affects completely random devices throughout the house from various manufacturers, and never happened with smartthings... but it can't possibly be the Hubitat hub and we definitely shouldn't investigate that possibility. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I would tend to agree with you, except:
I have three hubs (C4 and C5) In my production network (with 113 Zigbee devices between them), they get engineering build updates two or more times per week and I have never had anything like the expierence you are having...

@peng1can - I have been using Hubitat for 18+ months now, and have about 50 Zigbee devices on my network. I have never had any issues after rebooting my hub (at least after I replaced some troublesome Zigbee bulbs! :wink:)

I am curious what specific Zigbee devices you have in your network? There are some devices that are known to cause Zigbee mesh network instability.

People are saying they're not having these problems, and I get that. I don't in any way think it's a wide spread issue or people would be up in arms. I posted in this thread because the problems others were having above seemed like they could have been having a similar experience (who would have thought to unplug the hub, right?). The overwhelming majority of owners here seem elated with Hubitat - I've just had a lot of glitches with the hub, and I'm just wondering out loud if there are some C5's with bad radios (or maybe I just got two weird ones). If someone has a logical explanation for how a device can cause the hub to need a hard power cycle, I'm happy to accept that I'm wrong. That's the part that has me thinking hub vs. network.

As for devices, I have Iris keypads and contact sensors, ST contact sensors, moisture sensors, and smart plugs, a couple Bosch motion sensors and a couple Kwikset Locks (that I converted from z-wave to zigbee because people said they caused z-wave issues). The only thing that hasn't gotten "stuck" yet are the smart plugs and keypads.

If the radio was "bad", it would effect all devices the same way, you have a mesh issue of one sort or another, could be interference, could be not enough repeaters, or enough of them, but not In optimum positions...
You have one battery device that you don't have issues with, this furthers the point that it's a mesh issue.

You have a lot of sensors based on that list, I assume most of these are battery devices, correct? What do you have for repeaters in your Zigbee network? Keep in mind, to build a reliable Zigbee mesh it is recommended to have a repeater for every 6 battery devices. How many battery devices do you have? I get the feeling that you have more devices than the hub can route concurrently without having any other repeater in the network and that’s why you see this strange behavior with the reboot

Here's a great guide to follow. On top of using this, Patrick came up with a formula. For every 6 battery devices, you will want a repeater (plugged in device).

Here's Control 4's Best practices. Some of their own terminology is spread through out this PDF, but you will get the main idea on how to build a proper mesh.

This has been helping me fix my issues. It's a great doc to reference.

I think the Hubitat team should put something together like this DOC. Maybe there is something?

2 Likes

Spitballing here. There is a known issue with Sylvania/osram/lightify zigbee bulbs to where they seem to be able to "grab" and black-hole other zigbee devices, especially Iris V1. Perhaps when your hub goes down and your devices lose the route, they are susceptible being hijacked in this way. Just wild speculation. It happened to me recently, I lost all (but one) of my Iris V1 contacts. When I tried re-pairing them, I was able to re-find them as existing devices with zigbee iris v1 discover, but they still didnt work after that. I was forced to remove the devices and fully discover and add them as new.

I have had the same thing happen to me this morning. This is the first time it happened. I did upgrade my hub to 2.1.4.128 yesterday, but I don't recall seeing any issues afterwards. I noticed today that my lock was saying unlock and it wouldn't lock. I don't have a lot of zigbee devices and most are battery powered. I have 2 motion senors and a lock in my main house, then I have a detached garage where I have Smartthings plug (this is to act as a repeater) and a Smartthings multi-sensor on the garage door (used as a contact sensor). All of them except for my one motion sensor stopped responding. Doing a reboot did not help, but preforming a shutdown then removing the power for a few seconds seem to do the trick. Again this is the first time this has happened and it's been rock solid up until this point. Now that it is back up I will monitor it and let you know if I see any more issues with it. I am also on the C5 hub for about a month and a half or so.

Why not try rolling back to see if it fixes your issues ?

I preformed a reboot and it came back, but I then ran to the store (maybe 15 minutes) and when I came back everything was working again without doing anything. I'll continue to monitor and troubleshoot the issue.