All my zigbee devices stopped responding

@mik3, I'm new to Hubitat and have not rolled it back before. Do you have instructions?

Browse to http://ip:8081

1 Like

Thank you @mik3. I reverted back to 2.1.4.125 and the issue want away. Then I updated to 2.1.4.130 and the issue did not return. I am not sure if it was an issue with 128 and 129 or just how it applied to my hub. Never the less the issue is corrected, so thanks again.

1 Like

I had the same issue yesterday - All of my Zigbee Bulbs stopped responding - rebooting the hub solved it. I just started playing with Smarttools Dashboard, and also notice that some of my Zigbee devices are not refreshing status...(Light shows on in status, when it is really off) - hit refresh in the devices page and it updates (to be fair, I would not have even noticed this before without the dashboard, as they are responding normally via rules.)
I was wondering if the bulbs stopped responding problem was related to me installing the Sharptoools App...Up until this, it has been extremely solid and reliable. And I have not had any issues with the lights responding since I rebooted. I am on 2.1.4.128 right now, will update to .130 anyway.

One other device is not showing status correctly - a Generic Z-wave Smart Dimmer...it responds correctly by turning on/off normally - but does not show up right in the dashboard (shows on when it is off) - hitting refresh in devices page updates it immediately....weird. I'll look into this one more and see what I can find.

This won't be related to Sharptool. What bulbs are you using? Some are known to be very bad repeaters, What other Zigbee devices do have?

Osram RGB and CREE bulbs...I just installed a couple of Zigbee Water Sensors (Samsung)...

How many ZigBee devices do you have? Are there any other line-powered Zigbee devices?

Nothing else - everything else is Z-Wave...just the bulbs. It only happened the one time.

I also noticed that my Zigbee channel changed from 11 (I think it was) to Channel 20

I don't think the channel can change on it's own. 20 is probably a better channel than 11 anyway. Do you have any line powered devices that can serve as a Zigbee repeater?

It can't, the only way it will change on it's own is if you intentionally reset the zigbee stick, then I'm petty sure it will scan for a channel it thinks is best...

Other than that you have to change it intentionally.

I thought the CREE bulbs and the Osram bulbs acted as repeaters...Maybe I imagined the channel changing - but I could have sworn it was Channel 11...maybe I was imagining it :slight_smile:

It has been solid since updating to .130 (even my Z-Wave Smart Dimmer is updating now)... Not saying that has anything to do with it (I doubt it) - but maybe the reboot....I'll keep my eye on it and update here if I see it again...

Thanks,

Mark

Those bulbs do attempt to be Zigbee repeaters...however they mostly do a poor job of trying to do so and end up dropping packets and screwing up your Zigbee HA mesh.

I replace my Cree Connected and GE Link bulbs with Sengled bulbs which work great, as they are not repeaters. I also added some zigbee outlets throughout the house as 'good' zigbee repeaters and to control a few devices.

1 Like

Even in my old house (ST HUB), I had so much trouble with Zigbee (the older smarthings motion sensors never worked, bulbs never worked, etc) ... Z-Wave has always been rock solid (Unless ST made a change and broke stuff) - I bought a few of the monoprice Z-Wave bulbs, those are good too (Hubitat sees them as Hank RGBW Bulbs) - I was always surprised to see people recommending Zigbee over Z-Wave for better results - definitely not my experience.

I was a ST user for a long time...I am so glad that I switched to Hubitat in my new house....Everything is working so much better!! Having to start over made it a simple choice - but if I knew how good it was, I would have cutover my old house a long time ago.

Blazingly Fast, I love it!

As @ogiewon was explaining, it's because you have Zigbee trying to route through bulbs. Sounds like you had it with SmartThings as well as HE. So the bulbs fumbled the hand-off of the signal to the hub, and the devices drop off the network. When you get the repeating bulbs off the Zigbee network with the non-bulb devices like contact and motion sensors, and you add powered outlets such as the IKEA Tradfri outlets, things work very smoothly with Zigbee. This is why many of us use either a Hue bridge for bulbs, another HE hub for bulbs only, or non-repeating Sengled bulbs. That solves the stability issues with Zigbee bulbs that try to route signals, from causing problems for other devices.

I’m going on a month without any outages with all my zigbee devices. Around 17 or something. 4 of which are peanut plugs that act as repeaters.

I’ll swap out my Bulb’s and get a few of the outlets (can always use those)...thanks for the information!’

2 Likes

You can get some routing information from http://hub_ip/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Here is what it looks like: I don't have any idea if this is good or bad, lol....looks ok to me (I see all my devices)...

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=2, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data
child:[Water Main - Sensor, E4F0, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[Water Heater - Sensor, AD6D, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]

Neighbor Table Entry
[Marks Nightstand, 18D0], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:7
[Basement Storage 2, 8290], LQI:253, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:2
[Study Lamp, 83BF], LQI:242, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Front Porch, BD3B], LQI:157, age:5, inCost:7, outCost:4
[Basement Storage 1, E731], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:2

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Front Porch, BD3B] via [Front Porch, BD3B]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Basement Storage 2, 8290] via [Basement Storage 2, 8290]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Basement Storage 1, E731] via [Basement Storage 1, E731]

It doesn't show everything about your mesh, but it does show that the bulbs are being repeaters (only to themselves it looks like). Likely not good. I don't think you have anything other than the bulbs as repeaters.
If the bulbs are Hue compatible you could add a Hue bridge and the HE Hue integration. That gets them off the HE Zigbee mesh.
Another option is replacing the bulbs with bulbs that don't try to be repeaters. You would probably do well with dedicated line powered repeaters like the aforementioned Ikea devices in either case.

3 Likes