Alfred DB2-B inclusion - miserably fails

Trying to include the lock. The problem is that hubitat's count down timer is way too long - 100 seconds and it does not stop even when the device is found. Therefore the lock times out - funny enough it says that "connection succeeded" but then when the hubitat counts down to 0 it says that device was not included. At that time the only way to repeat the whole process is to factory reset the lock.
I tried to start the lock inclusion when hubitat counts down to about 50. At that time it finds the lock and offers to include it as an S2 or no S2 device. Regardless of what I select... TADA! The damn hubitat starts another 100s countdown, during which, as you might guess, the lock times out.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Normally when the device is paired the inclusion ends and it goes to another screen. So I am guessing that something is happening with the bootstrapping response, and the hub is not aware that the pairing was successful.

Have you checked your zwave settings device list for ghost nodes, you possibly made a few trying to pair.

The first time you tried to pair did what did you select for security? If you selected none it probably was rejected by the device, locks usually refuse to pair without security. If that created a ghost node it might be stuck until you clear the ghosts out.

Make sure to always select security for locks.

1 Like

I included mine way too long ago to be helpful but as @jtp10181 mentioned, the security popup should open. Could it be getting blocked?

1 Like

@xbohdpukc Can you post your z-wave details page in it's entirety?

well, i'm running the inclusion from my android phone and chrome browser since running from the puter to the door and back is kinda not feasible. On the phone the status shows below the countdown, not in a separate popup. When the S2 buttons show and I press "use S2" it shows the input field, and after I put digits in there - it resets the counter back to 100 AND that's when the lock times out.
Same happens if I press "no S2" - the countdown resets to 100.

z-wave detailed page of what? the one that runs inclusion?

Yourhubip))settings))z-wave details , use windows snip and post everything on the page

I have this device and it works great! I have included this on a C7. Excluded from the C7 and Included to a C8 without any issues.

2 Likes

So last night after everything failed, I reset the lock and scanned the zwave module QR code for the smart inclusion. The thing was sitting there "pending" all evening and this morning the lock showed up as a device...

1 Like

Yeah I have grown to like Smart Start, scan it in, power up, included automatically. Usually it works pretty quick not sure why yours took overnight.

I also found that if you exclude / remove the device and then restart it the Smart Start will pick it up again and re-include it. This could be good or bad depending on what you are trying to do.

That being said, all your inclusion problems have probably caused some dead ghost nodes in your zwave details. You will want to try and remove as many as you can by doing refresh > wait > remove > wait (hope they go away).

I presume all of these are the proverbial "ghosts?" What do I do with them? I don't see any button to remove them.

Click refresh once, wait for page to refresh. Check for Remove button, if not there try refresh again. If you have Remove click that once and wait. May want to have logs open on another tab. Hopefully remove will actually remove them.

Sometimes if you get stuck on refresh or remove not working this helps: shut down the hub and pull power for 10 seconds, then start up again. Then wait a minute or two and try again.

There is entire thread dedicated to this: How To: Remove Z-Wave Ghosts using a UZB Stick

Yes, those are ghosts and they will prevent you from adding the lock and will be destructive to your mesh. They need to be removed. As @jtp10181 says hit refresh then remove (remove power to the lock first). If that doesn't work you will need a z-wave stick to remove them. Please have a look at this post. It will help avoid gotchas like this

Well, majority of my attempts to remove the damn zombies end up in

And God knows I collected a few of those over the years :slight_smile:

Disconnect power from the lock. Shut down the hub from the settings menu. Unplug the hub for 5 mins. This will clear the radio, bring back up. once that is done work on only one device. If successful, rinse and repeat. Now you only have the one lock on there so far, so if it doesn't work, you could always reset the radio and start over on the z-wave pairing for both locks.

The count is up to 91 nodes shown in the screenshot, so I would assume there are more devices. Do not reset the radio!

The "Busy" message usually can get cleared up with a power down as explained. Be patient, only click refresh once and wait, then remove once. Too much activity will jam up the zwave chip again.

Also, I looked but could not see anywhere that you stated if this is a C7 or C8? If this is a C7, check if you have a "Firmware Update" button at the top of your zwave details page, if you do then run the zwave firmware update before doing anything else.

Sorry wasn't paying attention. I thougt he only had the one running device. Yeah, get a z-wave stick and remove the ghosts.

Yeah, I am past the lock - those 5 ghosts were removed, now finding the other zombies in all the weird places. The hub is C7, waiting on my C8 to come in :slight_smile: Patience is a rare currency around here!

Check the top of zwave details page, make sure you do not have a button to update the firmware.

1 Like

If you migrate, the ghosts will follow. ALL ghosts need to be removed from your hub or your mesh will be a nightmare.

1 Like