Alexa skill integration

Hi Team,
I am getting a "linking unsuccessful" from Alexa when I try to add in the hubitat skill, and ideas why would that be ?
Alexa is able to discover by hub properly after authentication, but after selecting the hub it displays "linking unsuccessful". I have already added the "Amazon Echo Skill" in the hubitat as a built in App, and I have authorized all devices to be added within it(except for Hue).

Is your hub on a static ip or DHCP?

1 Like

Here are a few things you can try, if you didn't already:

1. remove the Amazon Echo Skill from the hub (it is installed automatically once you enable the Hubitat skill in Amazon's Alexa app).
  2. Make sure the hub is connected to the cloud (no messages in the upper right hand corner of on your hub's interface saying that hub isn't connected).
  3. Disable then re(enable) the Hubitat Skill from Amazon's Alexa app.
  4. Make sure you authorize only devices compatible with Amazon Echo Skill ( currently the following devices are supported: switches, dimmers, door locks, fan controllers, garage door controllers, shade controllers, thermostat devices, contact and motion sensors ).

Its static IP

Press the reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds with a toothpic or paperclip. (only round hole out of the square ones) Do a DHCP reservation for the hub instead. You will then connect. The reset button ONLY affects the network settings and nothing else on the hub.

Im sorry, by static IP, I had meant that its MAC address bound to IP address on my router.
The hubitat still does its regular DORA, and gets the same IP address reserved in my router.

2 Likes

Oh ok.. Normally when I see this it's because the hub isn't reaching the cloud and that usually is because a static ip has been set on the hub itself. We've seen where DNS doesn't get read right for some reason when that happens so setting the hub itself back to DHCP usually cures. it.

Now that said, AWS has been having issues since yesterday. Since you're on DHCP already with a router assigned reservation you're likely ok in that department. You may think about power cycling your echo devices to see if that helps... Also make sure your current platform is up to date (2.3.2.141)

-- Removed it and retried to install hubitat skill in Alexa, it still didnt work

• It is connected to cloud. The upper right hand in messages, it just displays "there are no alerts"
    -- The hubitat skill never got installed in the first place. After authentication, it makes me choose my hubitat hub, and then after that, I get a page saying linking unsuccessful . Under Alexa skills, there is no "hubitat"
  • Ive tried it only with my motion sensors enabled this time(all are zigbee) it didnt work.

Dumb question. Can you confirm that you can see your hub? Using the phone app, go strictly to cellular and see if you can see your dashboard(s)

Yes, I can see the dashboard from my hubitat app while being strictly being on LTE

1 Like

Im curious, who initiates connection here?
Does the hubitat hub starts to handshake with Alexa first or does alexa skill try to reach the hub ?
Im assuming its the hub that initiates the connection first since the NAT is stateful.

really what Alexa is doing is tying into the AWS cloud that hubitat uses. At least for initial connection.

I can see from packet capture that my hubitat's ip is reaching out the public IP 3.132.182.20 at TCP port 8883. That ip resolves to ec2-3-132-0-0.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com

1 Like

Well, you're definitely getting out there. Do you see your hub when you go to my.hubitat.com ?

Yes, it definitely sees it. Although it redirects me to the private ip when I click on it(as it should) since there is no public ip access on the Hub.

1 Like

Outside of power cycling the echo(S) I'm outta ideas :frowning:

I mean the normal way is install the hubitat skill on alexa from your phone and that should then prompt you to log into hubitat and give permission..

Alexa’s hubitat skill does find my hub properly, and right after this page I get a unsuccessful page. I’ll try to reset the echo’s, although the Alexa skill engine should be separate from the physical echo devices

Can you please check the logs to see if you have any errors?

Could you please send me your hub's id or MAC address? I can check on our side to make sure your hub is connected to the cloud.

1 Like