Cannot Enable Hubitat skill in Alexa

It tells me to try again later. Anyone else have this issue?

You want to enable the Alexa Skill app in Hubitat and that should install the skill on the Amazon side I believe (it's been a while since I set it up) you also choose which devices to make available to Alexa via the Alexa Skill app in Hubitat.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Amazon_Echo_Skill

Okay... I recently purchased a Hubitat C7, to test as a possible replacement to my current home automation setup. I've set it up today and installed the Amazon Echo Skill app. I have also selected the devices to be shared with Alexa within the Echo Skill app. However, when attempting to enable the Hubitat skill within Alexa, it sees the Hubitat C7, but then gives an error that it is "Unable to link account with Alexa".

I also noticed that the Hubitat app only works when at home, it does not work when my phone is away from my home wifi.

I was under the impression that Hubitat included external/cloud access. Does something else (aside from the Echo Skill app within Hubitat and Hubitat skill within Alexa) need to be activated to make it externally accessible via the phone app and Alexa skill?

I think you've got two separate questions.

Hubitat does include cloud access in the sense that dashboards are accessible via the cloud without the need for a subscription. Many people find that's all they need. However, if you want the full functionality of the UI, you'll need some additional form of access. You can set this up yourself for free using any number of VPN solutions or if you're lazy like me you can subscribe to HE's remote access service.

The Alexa skill should work without any subscription. Take a look at this post...

1 Like

I believe both of your issues are related to the Hubitat hub not having a connection to the Hubitat cloud? Try pressing the small network reset button on the bottom of the hub for ~7 seconds. This will force the hub to use DHCP. And then, reboot the hub from the settings menu. Afterwards, your hub should should establish a Hubitat Cloud server connection, which will resolve both of the issues you’ve reported.

2 Likes

I've got it set to a static IP for future integration with my extensive HCA (Home Control Assistant) automation.

Though I wanted to test Hubitat first with a couple of devices (One Z-Wave, One Zigbee) and Alexa before doing all the work to integrate it with my HCA setup.

Does a static IP cause issues with cloud access?

I have seen numerous reports that assigning a static IP directly on the Hubitat hub can sometimes cause issues with the Hubitat Cloud connection. I would recommend using a DHCP IP Address Reservation on your router's DHCP server. This seems to always work very well.

2 Likes

Ahh, Thanks.. I recall while reading the instructions to integrate Hubitat with HCA that it needed a static IP. I will see if I can set the Hubitat back to DHCP after reserving an IP within the rounter to see if I can get it to both use DHCP while still keeping a specific IP. Hopefully that will work.

1 Like

A DHCP reservation is definitely the way to go.

3 Likes

That did it.. Set up IP reservation within the router. Set Hubitat back to DHCP. Rebooted. I was then able to access via the app as well as enable the skill within Alexa.. All's good!

Thanks all!

3 Likes