Alexa skill controls device but says the device is not responding

Yeah I've had it on Wink, Insteon, SmartThings and Hue too. It's an Alexa thing.

The Alexa app isn't deprecated AFAIK; it still can be chosen when 'add built in app' is selected. I still use it; the limitations it has vs. the skill don't matter to me as I only use it for switches and dimmers. It too suffers from the 'not responding' issue which went from an intermittent problem to a constant one for me with one of the Spring firmware updates.

My workaround: Create an Alexa group for the voice controlled HE device, include within the group a SmartThings virtual switch or ST virtual dimmer-- doesn't have to be unique or have anything to do with the HE device you want Alexa to control; {apparently the handshaking with the ST cloud is long enough to mask any API timing issues on the HE side) and voila... the problem is solved, I haven't had a single recurrence since I did this back in May. And it doesn't introduce any perceptible lag vs. 'pure' HE voice control.

Seems cumbersome but I still have access to ST and usually have to create Alexa groups anyway to add 'synonyms' to make voice control easier... and the 'not responding' spiel while harmless was annoying the crap out of everyone.

We've recessed Echo Dots into the walls of all the rooms here. Voice has become the primary control in our house and this Hubitat Alexa Skill issue has been such a headache that I've been forced to bring back SmartThings this weekend.

As I tried to explain much earlier on in this thread, this fault is a Hubitat issue not an Alexa problem. HE support have acknowledged this and the item is on their list.

My workaround is to use Hubitat Hub with the brilliant HubConnect App, along with the SmartThings Alexa Skill. It's a tiny tad slower but it works - And for us that's the most important thing.

The issue has given Hubitat a bad name with the non-technical users in our house when actually we all know that it's the best! I hope it is sorted soon.

I believe it’s the only functional option for users in several countries, but its been referred to as deprecated by hubitat staff.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/alexa/183/105

I’m assuming that means they aren’t updating it, and possibly not providing support if someone has an issue with it? But admittedly, that’s an assumption.

1 Like

Thanks, I missed that.

1 Like

Hubitat firmware v2.1.3 has been released which includes a fix for some Alexa "Device is not responding" issues. It also adds motion and contact sensors to the Hubitat Skill for Alexa.

So I was really hoping this latest update would fix the issue. Unfortunately, I still have Alexa tell me that a device is not responding even though the action is taken. The funny thing is that now it is very consistent in that turning on any light works just fine. However, when turning off a light it has the above issue with saying the device is not responding even though it does complete the action.

Let's start at the beginning...

1. In your list of installed Apps on your Hub, are your using the "Amazon Echo Skill" or the "Amazon Echo App" ?

2. What specific brand and model of device is Alexa reporting "device is not responding" for? What Driver are you using for that device?

Starting with those two questions will help us guide you in troubleshooting this issue.

I am using the Amazon Echo Skill only. The light switches I use (which are the ones that have this issue) are a combination of Leviton DZ6HD-1BZ and DZR15S-1BZ. Right now, I am using the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" or "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch" respectively. I have also tried switching to use the same driver without the word "Smart" in it.

I am guessing the issue is actually with those Leviton Z-Wave switches/dimmers. There is a known issue with Leviton devices NOT reporting there status updates back to the hub. To fix this issue, a firmware upgrade on the Leviton switches is necessary.

There are numerous threads regarding these Leviton switches. A simple search turned up this one which seems to have quite a bit on information in it regarding how to upgrade the switches.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try that. it is definitely better than replacing all of my switches and dimmers.

1 Like

I would like to report that upgrading the firmware on all of the Leviton devices has fixed the issue. I had given up on finding firmware a while back on ST since OTA was not supported. HomeSeer Z-Flash kit worked like a charm. Thanks ogiewon!

3 Likes

Great the virus has spread and now i have it! Moved all my devices from US account to Au account. Basically a "fresh install" from an Amazon perspective. I'm using the Skill and reinstalled that too.

All my connected HE connected devices trigger the "not responding" even though they work fine. Anything external to the HE works fine on Alexa, so got to be an HE thing.

It's a real nuisance as many have said, "the regular people" in our family were getting used to the whole automation thing and are now losing confidence!

Any suggestions?

Did you remove the Amazon Echo Skill App from Hubitat before switching to the AU Alexa account? Just wondering if there is something left over from the previous installation/configuration.

Dan can we promote you from Ambassador to demigod ..... here's how i fixed it and not sure what the fix piece was, I hadn't tried scorched earth on everything at once and a reboot:

1. delete Amazon Skill on HE
  2. delete HE skill on Amazon
  3. reboot HE
  4. reinstall Skill on HE
  5. reconnect HE skill on Amazon

All fixed ....... for now at least. I'd done all of these elements before but not 1,2,3 all at once.

Cheers

Mike

2 Likes

Nice! Glad to hear you got it behaving. Hopefully the family confidence is restored! :wink:

I am having the same issue. Peanut using Generic Zigbee Outlet. Works fine but Alexa reports that it is not responding.

When you view the Peanut Plug's device details page in Hubitat, does the STATUS change from "on" to "off" and vice versa when you press the ON and OFF buttons on the same page? If not, click CONFIGURE, wait a few seconds and try again. If it still does not update in a timely manner, then we'll need to talk about what types of other Zigbee devices are on your network, especially Zigbee bulbs. Many of them are poor Zigbee repeaters and cause issues like the one you're experiencing.

One more thing... In the list of Hubitat Apps you have installed, are you using the "Amazon Echo Skill" or the "Amazon Echo App"? You should be using the "Amazon Echo App" which is automatically installed on your Hubitat Hub when "Enable the Hubitat Skill" from within the Amazon Alexa mobile phone app.

1 Like

Thanks Ogiewon - that was the issue. It was showing state but not updating. Ran configure again and everything is working.

1 Like

This worked for me. But I'm wondering how often do I have to do this? I've only had the hubitat a few days and never had to do this before with my smartthings hub.