Alexa not working today, anyone else?

My Alexa integration was working yesterday, but I rebooted the hub today, and Alexa no longer works. I tried removing and re-adding devices, but Alexa kept responding with "not responding". I disabled the skill in the Alexa app, but was not able to re-link it, although it did show me my hub. The message was "Unable to link account with Alexa - We are experiencing a problem connecting with the skill to link your account". I then removed the Amazon Echo Skill from HE, and re-installed it, allowing access to one device. I tried enabling the skill again in the Alexa app, but it still failed. I rebooted the hub again, but got the same results.

Edit: I'm getting this message in the log, but it really isn't linked, so it might be expected:
2023-03-26 11:24:54.904 AM (http ://hub/logs?tab=past&deviceId=6#)Error making Call to Alexa message gateway: {"header":{"namespace":"System","name":"Exception","messageId":"SOME-GUID"},"payload":{"code":"INVALID_ACCESS_TOKEN_EXCEPTION","description":"Access token is not valid."}}

Edit: I tried linking the account from a web browser. This URL (shortened) was called:
https://oauth.cloud.hubitat.com/oauth/select_hub?scope=app&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://pitangui.amazon.com/api/skill/link/M3F6BAFXNQFFU8&client_id=6b43cb0f-2350-4b2f-b167-a048fec2eb46&state=A2SAAEAENNLSjfM

The response was: Amazon Alexa

Linking unsuccessful.

I just tried mine and I was able to control a device.

So I'm in a weird spot - I was about to say that I'm experiencing the same as @Sebastien - and it's true that all appears to be working, however, I have the same error in my log as @Daro66, so I don't know what to say.

That said, I have noticed some odd things with Alexa in just the past few days - I've had lights and plugs randomly turn off unprompted and when I check the events, it says that it came from the Echo skill, but there had not actually been a trigger from Alexa (like, my whole family was in the kitchen eating dinner and suddenly all of the lights in the house turned off). I was almost wondering if some missed commands from weeks/months ago were suddenly popping out of the cache - it was really bizarre.

1 Like

Just checked my logs and not seeing that error - odd!

Just checked my logs (using Alexa skill and Echo Speaks).
I do have a new error in my logs:

However, I was just able to add a new Alexa Dot (What I was just doing, coincidentally)

Yes! I had a light go on twice late last night, but there's no telling where it came from anymore.

Are your events still listed on the device page?

There is no way that the 2 circled ones actually were triggered by a concurrent command given to an Alexa (I say concurrent due to my "cached command" theory above), and the only Alexa Routine I have related to this switch is a power cycle (i.e. if the routine had been somehow triggered, it should have turned the switch back on too, but it didn't. Really odd.

Yes. My dimmer got two commands to set level from an App that is unknown, so I'm going with Alexa.

Edit: I forgot, that I did an update yesterday...
update Updated with build: 2.3.5.117 2.3.5.117 2023-03-25 01:19:12.135 PM EDT

Someone fixed it. I tried a few more times yesterday, and this morning. Just now it worked.

It should be posted in this thread;

And there is an interim solution has been posted here:

Thank you. I will move it.
And thanks for the interim solution.

1 Like

Almost a year to the day, Alexa didn't work for me again today, and of course I disabled the skill and tried re-enabling, but got the exact same error messages :man_facepalming:t3:.

Question: Do you have some certificate that expired that's used to validate account linking?

Edit 1: I guess this is where it started being an issue. "Show more" yields no more results.

Alexa skill is working fine for me.

Same thing last time. A few days later it worked.

Thanks for fixing it!

Glad to hear the Alexa Skill is working again for you.

I really don't believe anyone fixed anything on the Hubitat side of things. The most common cause for an issue like "Amazon Echo is not working" (i.e. a cloud-based integration) is that your Hubitat Hub is having an issue staying connected to the Hubitat cloud server. Often, this is quickly remedied by rebooting either the Hubitat Hub, the Network Router, or the ISP Modem (or some combination of these.)

The issue might be brought on by an automatic firmware upgrade of the router, or the ISP changing something, or the end-user upgrading their home network equipment, etc...

It is usually easy to see if the Hubitat hub is having a cloud connectivity issue by the tell-tale red alarm icon in the upper right hand corner of the Hub's web interface. If the HE hub cannot connect to the Hubitat Cloud, that issue must be resolved first, before any additional troubleshooting is initiated. Hope this helps in the future should the issue rear its ugly head again. :wink:

1 Like

The coincidence of it being almost exactly a year later, raises some suspicion about it being a certificate or some other schedule issue. (I guess we'll see next year :wink:)

I did indeed have that.

Edit 1: I should mention that while trying to link the account, I was shown my hub, but then it failed. When it did work, after the hub, it showed me the devices, that I'd checked off in HE.

There has been no interruption in Alexa service for the vast majority of us. The issue that typically causes a lack of connectivity with the Hubitat cloud is when the hub doesn’t have access to functioning name servers.

1 Like

I work from home and would have instantly noticed if DNS wasn't working. I actually have had redundant providers for the last few months, but the router on my side of the two modems is the DNS proxy server for my network.

I never said that your computers didn't have DNS access.

To reiterate what I said - "The issue that typically causes a lack of connectivity with the Hubitat cloud is when the hub doesn’t have access to functioning name servers."

One common method to prevent this from occurring (or reoccurring) is to configure the hub to use the DNS servers indicated in the Network Setup portion of Hubitat Documentation.

1 Like