Trigger Garage Door (Alexa Device) with Zigbee button via Hubitat

For a few years I had a Zigbee button that triggered a Rule Machine rule that paused for 30 seconds, then closed my Genie Aladdin Connect (wifi) garage door, life was good. However, in Feb ’24 Genie broke the API, so I’ve been missing this function ever since.

Last night it occurred to me that Alexa can control the Genie Aladdin Connect (wifi) garage door and then MAYBE I could get Hubitat to talk to Alexa and get this functionality back. So, I did all device/skill connectivity with Genie Aladdin Connect and Alexa, so that now I can speak to Alexa directly and say “Alexa, close the garage door” and it will close.

Next step was to connect the Hubitat and Alexa. I have done the skill/app things and see the Hubitat skill in Alexa and the Alexa app in Hubitat. When searching, I see a lot of info on getting Alexa to control Hubitat devices, but of course my use case is “the other way” (Hubitat controlling an Alexa device). I also see that this may be possible, but only with Hubitat “virtual switches” not physical ones.

QUESTION: #1. Is what I’m attempting to do (have the Zigbee button run a Hubitat Rule that connects to Alexa and shuts the Garage Door) possible? #2. Any pointer to articles/examples or suggestions to move forward and set up the rule connection.

I did manage to get a virtual switch set up in the HE software and have it showing in the "Amazon Echo Skill" (pic #1), and I can see that in the Alexa app on my phone (pic #2). However, when I go into routines, I do NOT see the switch (to use for the "when") and I do NOT see my garage door anyway (to use for the "Alexa will"). So my optimism is fading, unless anyone has any ideas.

I think that this is totally doable. I did have trouble locating devices in my Alexa Routines once. I found that I had to look all the way to the bottom for "All Devices".

You can't use a switch to trigger an Alexa routine, but you can use motion. There are a number of drivers that can be controlled as a switch but also can be used as a virtual motion sensor. When the switch turns on, motion is active and when the switch turns off motion is inactive. If you add one of these switches to your Alexa skill you can use it to start a routine to close your garage door. Type virtual motion in the install option for HPM, you should be able to use one of the drivers listed.

For this you can look for a skill setting or use the custom action. From there you can type out an Alexa command. i.e. Alexa, close the garage door

[edit]Another option is Echo speaks. With Echo speaks installed you could handle everything from HE. Anything you can speak to Alexa can be done through the echo speaks app. Getting it installed in not a trivial matter, but it's great once you get it working.

1 Like

Yep, I misunderstood his post....

Thanks @terminal3 . I’m not running “HPM” (Hubitat Package Manager). Is that a requirement? Or maybe I should just get on board with that. I’m a bit of a novice (just 3 lights, 2 switches, and my garage door, and I’m currently in the market for several water sensors . . . but I’ve had Hubitat for 4-5 years, and have been so happy). Is everyone using HPM now? Anyway, if that is a requirement, I’ll do it, if not I may wait to get the garage door solved, then get the water sensors, then get acquainted with HPM. I appreciate the advise. Thx.

@terminal3 I was able to add a virtual motion sensor in HE and now I "see" it in my Alexa app as a Device, but do NOT see it when I go to create an Alexa Routine under the New Routine/When/Add event. Thoughts?

Next select smart home. The motion sensor should be listed there.

Thanks @terminal3 I see it now. I did not open "smart home" previously. So that is good on my "trigger" event (I don't have it working yet, but think I get it). Any suggestions for finding the Garage Door in the "Alexa will" section, as I still do NOT see it there (even when I look in "Smart Home" then "All devices". I've been reading that support for Skills devices is limited, maybe that is the issue?

I assume you mean Skill section. It may not exist, in fact it probably doesn't, it depends on the skill.

Easiest way is to use customize. Then you just type the command you would speak to a Echo device to open your garage door.

WOW, @terminal3 I never would have figured that out. Thanks so much for your help. I'm almost there, but now I get it. I need to work on the HE side of things, but I think I'm in good shape. I appreciate you hanging in there with me.

The downside of this method is it will not work if you internet is down.

Interesting. I had the Alexa linking issue twice myself. The first time was in March of '23 and the second in Mar of '24. Both times the issue corrected itself after a couple of days, and re-linkinking the skill eventually worked, so there is something tangible.