Alexa integration keeps disconnecting and won’t reconnect

I just got my c8 and migrated over successfully, so far, so good, except for Alexa integration and Wi-Fi. I’ve solved the Wi-Fi problem by just using a wired connection. As much as I want to use the Wi-Fi, it seems to not be happening right now.

Anyway, that brings me to the issue with Alexa: I can’t seem to get it to control my stuff on the hub for very long. I had it connected, but it doesn’t seem to stay connected to the skill for longer than about 24h before it stops working. Right now, I tried to diss and reenable the skill and login, but it is not working. It said it cannot connect to my hub. :man_shrugging:

My hub IS connected to the network. No issues there.

Anyone?

Does your router reboot on a schedule? Some people have been having issues with the DNS failing after a router reboot. Try doing a network reset. Also some people after doing that have manually set the DNS addresses in the network settings.

Check this thread for more info on the cloud disconnects

1 Like

I am running a pi-hole on my network to block ad traffic so that is very likely that it’s blocking it. What servers does Hubitat need access to in order to connect? I did try to manually select DNS servers on the hub, because I anticipated it could possibly be blocking traffic, but it appears the settings may be reverting after about 20h or so back to the dhcp settings on my router. I suppose I could manually set all my devices to use the pi hole for the dns server manually, but I’d rather avoid that.

I would rather whitelist all the domains the Hubitat might connect to.

If you set the DNS servers on the hub manually, it should not be reverting. If you go to network settings and the DNS server box is filled in, you have them set.

Not sure what domains the hub connects to for cloud services.

I would do a network reset which only clears the network settings. Then if you want to avoid the pi-hole set the DNS over ride to something like 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9, or whatever reliable servers you prefer.

You can also see the DNS servers the hub is using (via DHCP or otherwise) with the Hub Info driver v3 and the Expanded Network Data metrics.

I think I got that working now, but the hub refuses to stay connected to my Homebridge. It never had ANY issues on the C7, but the C8 is an absolute nightmare. I'll check in the home app on my phone and it'll always say no response for every single thing all the time, except for a few seconds, then it'll go back to saying no response again... I'm about ready to return this thing to Amazon.

I've completely disabled the pi-hole though. I'm not going to deal with that. If I want to block ads, I'll just do it in my browser from now on. I've reconfigured my home bridge and the homebridge plugin over and over and double checked the settings, but no dice. Any ideas?

I migrated with Homebridge and I dont think I had to do anything, it just worked.
Are you using the integration app from totones7 or some other method?
Vanilla Homebridge or Hoobs?

I also run an Adguard Home server for ad blocking, no issues here. I am using the OISD Blocklist Full primarily.

I've given up on my Wifi dream, and it seems to be relatively stable, but I can't get Alexa to stay connected for more than a week still. I never had these issues EVER with the C-7. I also disabled the ad blocking server.

I'm still having trouble with Alexa though... Is there a way to actually get support from Hubitat? The Alexa skill has terrible ratings for this kind of thing, and it seems like Hubitat staff just seem to ignore this issue.