C8 Hub will not stay connected to Alexa. Cannot get help from community. About to throw this thing out

I cannot get Alexa to stay connected to my C8 for more than a week. I am really getting tired of having to reconnect to the skill constantly. Can someone please help? yes, my hub is online.
I NEVER had any issues like this with my C7. Now that I'm trying to reconnect it just now, it just keeps telling me unable to link Hubitat with Alexa and to keep trying.

yeah... that's not helping... Already tried that, as I stated, it's connected to the network. It won't connect to Alexa @jtp10181.

Didn't get any help over there on the Alexa issue so I figured I'd try over here.

Just pointing out the other thread which probably has some answers to many questions other people might ask. Really should not have created another thread for it.

Sounds to me like a home networking problem, since you were having issues with both Homebridge and Alexa working, unless its two separate issues.

I have had Alexa connected to my hub for over a year, never has disconnected. I also do not recall any other forum posts with this same issue. If anyone has a solution they would reply.

2 Likes

Well, what am I supposed to do when it's been over a month and I have not gotten any kind of useful help with my Alexa issue?

I have no issues anymore with homebridge, this is a separate issue. The c8 has been hot garbage as far as I'm concerned. The wifi isn't reliable, so I went back to a wired connection, and that fixed most of the issues, but the Alexa one remains.

Try a warranty claim: Warranty – Hubitat Support
Or send a DM to @support_team

2 Likes

It might help if you described what symptoms you are seeing. How do you know it's not connected?

I've seen the unable to link message when I tried to reconnect Alexa and it was already connected.

2 Likes

Although they both require LAN access, there are a few key differences between requirements for Homebridge working vs Alexa.

1. Homebridge does not require WAN access. Alexa does.
  2. Homebridge is not dependent on access to Hubitat’s cloud. Alexa does.
  3. Homebridge uses Bonjour/mDNS. Alexa does not.
  4. Alexa needs working access to domain name servers to resolve the cnames of Hubitat’s cloud servers.

Because your Alexa works intermittently, I would focus on ensuring that your Hubitat is configured to use functional DNS servers (“1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9” is often recommended). And that there is nothing that interferes with WAN access.

If you have already resolved both of these to your satisfaction, I’d recommend taking @jtp10181’s advice.

I’ll tag one of Hubitat’s network engineers here - there may be other possibilities that need to be considered. Tagging @gopher.ny

4 Likes

It’s connected to the cloud and there are no dns issues. Again, I am NOT having issues with homebridge. Please stop focusing on homebridge. My c7 never had these issues at all. I’m using Google dns.

Did you read what I wrote? I contrasted requirements for Alexa vs Homebridge, so your troubleshooting could focus on Alexa-specific requirements.

Can you change your DNS settings to match what is recommended? Sporadic loss of connectivity either reflects sporadic lack of WAN access or sporadic lack of DNS access.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to be difficult here. I never had a single issue with my c7 and I setup this hub from my c7, but I honestly can’t say a single good thing about my c8. It’s been nothing but trouble. I wanted to use Wi-Fi, but apparently I can’t do that because it’ll connect for a few days, and then I’ll have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it back up on the network again. I can’t work with something that unreliable. Then this thing with Alexa. I suspect there’s more DNS issues than Hubitat will admit to. I know there was a system update early on after I got it, and that didn’t fix my issues.

Are you using the latest update?

1 Like

of course I'm using the latest update. The reason why I know there's nothing wrong with my DNS, is the c8 SHOULD be getting my DNS settings from DHCP from my router, and I'm able to go to www.google.com, and it directs me to google's website. I shouldn't HAVE to play with DNS settings is my point, correct?

Could you describe your network in detail please. Router brand/model, is this a mesh network, whether you have tried without the PiHole, and so on.

It sounds like you are being blocked or that you have a basic networking issue.

3 Likes

That's usually indicative of a network issue NOT a hub issue. I've seen this happen when certain systems to wifi optimization... What are you using for your wifi ap/rourter setup?

Is your echo(s) on reserved address' ?

Is your hub on a DHCP reservation or static ip?

Is your old hub still up and running or is it turned off.

Are you running any unifi equipment?

What are you using for a firewall?

We need information about your setup...

4 Likes

If you are questioning DNS from the C8, under the tools use the ping tool. You can ping by name or by ip.

I actually early on where my C8 was not using the correct DNS server that my firewall was handing out. I hard coded it and it fixed that.

But I'm skeptical that's your issue. I would think it would never work if it were a DNS issue, not intermittently.

I have 2 ASUS RT-AXE7800s in a hardwired mesh.

Is your hub on a DHCP reservation or static ip?
I’ve tried it on both. Right now it’s on the DMZ actually.

Is your old hub still up and running or is it turned off.
It’s off and disconnected

Are you running any unifi equipment?
No

What are you using for a firewall?
None. T mobile uses cgnat so no connections come in anyway.

We need information about your setup...
[/quote]

I'd start by moving it from the DMZ to your main lan and then work backwards.

2 Likes

For the WIFI issue, check the latest update (2.3.5.131), this should be resolved when using the hub over WIFI.

2 Likes