Alarm/New Build/HSM/Noonlight/Konnected

Hello

We are building a new house and going to be hard wiring motion PIR and recessed door sensors. I would like to get away from the old school hardwired system ala Honeywell Vista. The main dilemma is that the wife needs keypads and doesn't want to rely upon geofencing/life360..."what if i leave my phone at home?".

This is what i envision with Hubitat tying in all components + connecting to Noonlight for monitoring burglar/smoke/CO.

Recessed door contact sensors [10]
Motion/PIR detectors [6]
Konnected 18 Zone Panel Setup
Aeotec Siren 6 [? - any other recommendations here?]
Nest Aware [10 - integrating into Noonlight directly]
POE Cameras on Blue Iris Server [9]

Question -

Can i integrate hardwired / Hubitat friendly keypads to disarm the alarm?
Can i integrate a hardwired tablet panel with a keypad interface to disarm the alarm?
If tablet, can the keypad interface also show me streams of the 9 POE interfaces?

Arming the alarm should be 1 button or geofence. Disarming should be geofence or if not...using a keypad.

If tablet solution, what is the proper way to set this up so it only 'lights up' via presence?

Thank you

1 Like

I’ll be watching this thread as I’m basically planning on going down the same route as you.

1 Like

No such device exists.

Hardwired? Why would the tablet be hardwired and how would you hardwire it?

I would mount it directly into the sheetrock and run a constant power source to it so it wouldn't need to be removed to recharge.

Thanks for the replies.

Oh, you mean hardwired for power not for network? When I hear "hardwired" I think not wireless. And tablets usually connect via WiFi. :slight_smile:

Yep.

Based on your replies... i would need a dumb alarm system to acquire the keypads and utilize a Konnected Interface with their relays so i can both monitor in parallel and also have the capability to arm/disarm the dumb panel.

yup. that would be the only way to have hard-wired alarm panels. either that or one of the community supported alarm interfaces. But there are none that are native to Hubitat.

I actually jumped ship from HSM-based security (with zigbee/zwave sensors, keypads, sirens) to a DSC Powerseries system in our new house and for a few reasons. I absolutely wouldn't consider going back at this point.

Mesh issues are killer, especially so if you rely on wireless sensors. If any single part of your security system relies on zigbee/zwave, you will have occasional issues -- or almost guaranteed issues if repeaters lose power.

HSM just wasn't that dependable/predictable in my experience. Many of the issues have been addressed, but I always had problems with disarming or clearing alerts and sirens or lights not turning back off (or turning off when they were originally on).

I now feel pretty strongly that security should be handled by a dedicated and tried and true system that functions independently, but still can be integrated with HE with an Envisalink or similar. I still manage arming state via HSM, but there is no longer any question about whether the actual security system will arm/disarm properly, that sensors will work properly, and that sirens will sound or turn off when they should. The WAF is much higher this way.

This is exactly my concern. WAF priority one.

How do you 'control' the DSC Powerseries without a Konnected Interface...or do you have one? Can you expound on how you arm/disarm the DSC currently?

Thank you

This is a bit long-winded. If I understand correctly, Konnected isn't a security system - just an interface between wired security devices and a smart home hub. HSM would be your security system, using your wired sensors via Konnected.

A standalone security system, like DSC and Honeywell Vista, can and does operate entirely on their own with its own control panel, backup batteries, keypads, siren, etc. It can communicate with Hubitat through an Eyezon Envisalink board, which allows Hubitat to see sensor status and control the arm/disarm states of the security system. The current Hubitat application and driver can be found here. It does interface with HSM, but that's up to you -- I let it sync arm/disarm status via HSM, but the DSC system is ultimately the security system and not Hubitat.

A few advantages to using a DSC or Honeywell type of system. Hubitat or your network can go down and the security system will still function properly. Dedicated hardwired keypads mean reliable arming/disarming and higher WAF (it "just works"). Plus there's an array of wireless sensors available, which are very cheap and far more immediate and reliable than any relying on a mesh.

I arm/disarm primarily in two ways. For away mode, I use the iphone/HTTP presence to detect presence and automatically change the mode to home/away (which sets HSM state, which sets the DSC system's arm state). At night, I use a Lutron Pico remote to switch to night mode, which then puts HSM in Arm - Night , which puts the DSC system into Arm Stay. It then disarms via rule at a certain time in the morning.

If Hubitat is down or it doesn't change state for some reason, the keypads still function normally. It's a more convoluted install, but I think it's worth it.

1 Like

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. You hit the nail on the head. The only questions left unanswered for me...

Compare envisalink to konnected interface. Interface was their new product which allows it to run in parallel rather than replace the original panel. You reference their original iteration.

See if any of the vanilla systems and or keypads have the ability to stream the 9 POE cameras.

Thank you

I would definitely install a hardwired alarm control panel as recommended by the previous respondent epj3. I have a builder installed wired Honeywell system. It was a bare bones panel which I would discourage anyone from getting. The Honeywell Vista 21IP panel is an excellent panel that's also tied into your router for any future additions and if I had to do it over again would install it.. One IMPORTANT item I would definitely have installed is at least one alpha numeric keypad, the Honeywell 6160 is inexpensive and an excellent keypad. These types of keypads will allow you to EASILY rename your wired named sensors and much more. Now I'm not an expert by any means, just a do it yourselfer who has a bare bones wired alarm system, installed Hubitat, and wanted Hubitat to ALSO act as a full alarm system. I installed the Konnected INTERFACE system. It allows you to have your existing wired alarm panel with keypads. I also had concerns for my wife and not having a functioning keypad if I used the original Konnected system. I have to tell you, Nate of Konnected has EXCELLENT Youtube video's on installing either of his systems AND their help desk is FANTASTIC. I had the Konnected interface installed and Hubitat connected with Konnected in less than 30 minutes.

Now again, TOTALLY agree with epj3. By having a wired system with Konnected AND Hubitat Home security app running, you, in affect have 2 Home alarm systems and this is important. If you wish , you can run BOTH ,with no interference of either, at the same time. Your wired system is basically a SELF contained system. Its hard wired , doesn't rely on the internet, routers etc. Even if you lose power , they have a battery backup that can last for a few hours. I consider it my ROCK SOLID alarm system. Now, that's NOT taking anything away from Hubitat. My old wired system could NOT be controlled if I was away. I had no Idea if the alarm had gone off because it wasn't connected to a central station, but with Konnected and its integration with BOTH my wired system AND Hubitat, I'm now able to monitor the wired connected sensors. I installed a Version 2 Iris keypad to Hubitat and just like my wired 6160 keypad, I can arm and disarm it, with time delays, with no issue. It took me a week or two to iron out little glitches but Hubitat has worked flawlessly. Again, however, your at the mercy of your router and Hubitat power that can be aided by battery backups. I would tell my wife if she had any issues with the Hubitat keypad arming the system, rely on the wired system as a backup, but again Hubitat , as my alarm system ,has worked flawlessly AND you have the BEST community to help you with any issues. With simple wireless sensors combined with my wired system I can now monitor if my garage doors are open, any widows or doors are opened when I'm away. I can have lights and alarms come on if any sensor is breached and again ALL controlled when I'm away. I personally use Blink camera's which do NOT integrate with Hubitat directly, but with IFTTT integration, they integrate with Hubitat to arm with the Mode set to armed away and turn off with geofencing through IFTTT .

I LOVE the option of having both a wired and FULLY integrated Hubitat security system with the help of Konnected Interface system.

Hope that helps in someway to answer your concerns.

1 Like

As the primary author of the Envisalink Integration, I'm probably a bit biased. My preference is, of course, a wired DSC, an Envisalink bridge and a few Integration points with HE.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/envisalink-integration-application-and-connection-driver/3123

2 Likes

No real answers, just commentary. I have DMP hardwired panel installed in my house. I really like the alarm panel/system, so to integrate it, I just programmed the 4 programmable outputs to what I wan them to report, which connects to the Konnected panel, which communicates with the HE. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you all. This has been great.

Well, I'll share in your bias. The integration is already quite good, and at least for those with a DSC system (which is very easy to piece together) -- Envisalink + your integration is superior to Konnected. Konnected only passes along wired zone state, while Envisalink is basically a "keypad emulator" with two-way communication. This means you could theoretically do and see most of what you would with a keypad, so it has far more potential. Plus they're the same price, but you need a Konnected board for every six zones. I have almost 30 zones including wireless contact sensors, which Konnected can't interface with at all. For smart home integration, this solution seems far superior to me.

I'd love an Envisalink option for DMP, but I doubt DMP would ever want to play.

1 Like

Eh, I've done the alarm panel + Envisalink (still have an Envisalink 4 in a box collecting dust, in fact) and the Konnected route.

Both routes have pluses and minuses.

I would never have wireless contact sensors on a security system, so I don't have that issue. And while I have 70+ contacts, I brought then in at 18 zones, so 3 tiny Konnected boards weren't a big issue in the big alarm panel enclosure to me either.

If the house I moved into last year would have had a compatible alarm board I may have stuck with the Envisalink route, but it didn't. So I replaced it w/Konnected.

That was my issue, a barebones vista 20SE alarm panel, that nothing other than a replacement panel would help, so Envisalink wasn't even an option and Konnected fit the bill and works great with Hubitat

Forgive my ignorance but how did you pare down 70 contacts into 18 zones? Simply grouping the wires [say 6 wired windows in a single room] and putting them into one 'zone' hole on the panel? Thank you