Monitored alarm integration of any sort?

Really liking Hubitat but my wife really wants an alarm system. I have most of the pieces in place but what I'd really like is ability to have 24hr monitoring and a traditional-style keypad to turn it on/off.
I know there are people who love the fact that you can just get notifications on your phone, but for real emergencies, i feel it's better to have a company send the police or fire department over...
in any case.. are there any companies that will monitor or provide a monitoring api?
Also, are thereare z-wave keypads out there that arent weird scene controllers but standard keypad type things?

thanks!

I know some companies have partnered with other hubs. I haven't heard of anything with Hubitat.

Now I don't expect this to change your wife's mind.. but I've thought about this and here is what I came up with.

First, having managed a building with an alarm system before, I can tell you that automated calls to the police from a monitoring service get tossed to the bottom of the police's list. There's too many false alarms, broadly speaking, that most of the time it's a waste of the police's time... and they know it. Compare that to a personal call to the police from the homeowner, looking at a camera in their house, saying "there's someone in my house robbing me right now! I'm watching them and here's a description." A personal call is going to get a better response broadly speaking.

I thought about using a keypad to arm/disarm HSM. Then I realized that's silly.. I have a keypad on my doorlock. No need to mount a thing to my wall; just use what I have! That said, there are a number of zwave keypads. IIRC I was going to buy one from Centralite?

1 Like

For that, I believe you should look into a dedicated home alarm system. If you can find one that allows you to monitor the status of the sensors in Hubitat as well, you'll have the best of both worlds.

The problem with most modern alarm systems is that the sensors are all wireless. It is simpler with an old, hard-wired alarm panel to use something like Konnected to monitor the signals and relay them to Hubitat to be used in automations.

For many users, having something like Hubitat or SmartThings and a few smart cameras to monitor your home is much better than nothing at all. You can get notified, open a live camera feed, and decide if it was just the cat/dog that tripped the motion sensor, or someone stealing your stuff. Then you can place the call to 911 yourself and avoid the false alarms and the eventually fines associated with them.

Good luck! Hope you find a solution that meets your family's needs!

1 Like

any advice on control panels? my issue with something like a fire tablet is that my kids will inevitably exit the control panel in favor of youtube or some game :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are some limited integrations with a few of the alarm vendors out there. Trying to get a commercial company to monitor your homegrown HA system is very hard as they don't want to accept the liabilities for things they can't control.

I use SimpliSafe and have it integrated so that I can send alarm settings (off/home/away) via the HE. I do have their sensors and cameras in as well. To me the only benefit for having a commercial company is their ability to get ahold of the police/fire faster than I can. A 911 call from my cell would take a bit of time to route to the local police vs. the alarm company who would contact them directly.

1 Like

Unfortunately, no... My house came pre-wired for an alarm system. I use my HubDuino project to monitor inexpensive magnetic reed switches and then tie that data into my Hubitat hub.

1 Like

Noonlight is an option im considering, but haven't pulled the trigger yet

I have a monitored system (Honeywell Galaxy 96). It is a requirement of my insurance and present when I purchased my home. It’s all wired. UK based with dual path signalling.

My issue has been integrating that into my HA system in a way that was acceptable to the alarm maintenance company. I can take ‘outputs’ and monitor them via relay or RS232 serial but they don’t permit any inputs that could put the system into alarm. They also don’t want any ‘inline’ monitors of zone inputs like Konnected use. We are discussing keypad emulation to arm (but not disarm) the system. Unfortunately one provides the other so awkward. All in all I can do 80% of what I’d like and the remaining aspects are not too important.

Re call out I’ve only had one false alarm in 20 years (a bird) but nowadays I am not confident response is speedy although my monitoring is via a company that manually telephones the police providing room identification and double confirmation if available, plus they can supply a historic alarm history detail.

K

Try Konnected. They have both a replacement kit and a kit that works in parallel rather than replacing your existing alarm system. They also have a partner for monitoring, Noonlight. Most Konnected users self monitor, but the service is available.

I am nearly done replacing my 25 year old DSC alarm. I like it so far. Support is good.

YF

You do realize that you replied to my post, where I gave the original poster the exact same product recommendation? :wink:

It is simpler with an old, hard-wired alarm panel to use something like Konnected to monitor the signals and relay them to Hubitat to be used in automations.

Glad to hear Konnected is working well for you!

1 Like

i don't have any system in right now so konnected is not an option. i'm trying Noonlight right now

1 Like

I absolutely would not depend on HSM for use with a monitoring service that could dispatch police or fire. All it takes is a simple mistake in HSM setup, or one small bug in a hub update and you'll be paying out of pocket for an unnecessary dispatch of first responders (at least, this is how it is in most places in the US).

See this recent thread for some relevant suggestions: Alarm/New Build/HSM/Noonlight/Konnected

@fiddlermd

Konnected is a full alarm system. They have two options:

1. An alarm system for when you don't have on or want to replace one.
  2. Run Konnected in parallel to an existing.

You do not need to have an existing alarm system to use Konnected.

YF.

The original idea of Konnected though was to integrate existing sensors from an existing alarm system.

1 Like

But you do need wired sensors throughout your house to use Konnected. And, you need a Hubitat or ST hub as well. So I wouldn’t personally call Konnected a full alarm system. It is simply a nice bridge between hardwired sensors and a home automation hub.

I made my Konnected recommendation on the above. When he stated he had everything nearly in place, I assumed that meant wired sensors. My mistake if that was a bad assumption.

I also provided the information on the monitoring company partnering with Konnect based upon the above.

I can't help with the keypad question.

Updated:

I stand corrected. @epj3 over in another similar thread said it better than I:

Konnected isn't a security system - just an interface between wired security devices and a smart home hub. HSM would be your security system, using your wired sensors via Konnected.

YF

It is not clear to me whether or not you need Konnected to use Noonlight with Hubitat or not. I do not have a wired system, just Hubitat - can I use Noonlight?

Probably a question best answered by @nate, the founder of Konnected.

Check out the Noonlight for Hubitat installation guide on the Konnected site.

Yes, you can use Noonlight with Hubitat by itself. It's completely independent of Konnected in function. I just maintain the integration.

3 Likes

Is your SS\HH sensor+status integration documented anywhere?

I'm wanting to implement it myself. SS gives me zero information , meanwhile I'm instantly aware of the status of my laundry room light bulb. hanks to HE. Heh. My SS setup is wasted potential as far as I'm concerned.

I've messed around with the cam and a motion sensor a little, without success.