Airbnb presence detection

I'm looking into using an HE in a Airbnb let to disconnect some appliances when the guests leave the apartment and some schedule and temperature based tasks.
Is there a way to detect presence in this kind of scenario? The most likely I was able to come up with was using motion sensors and some timeout period.
The WiFi presence seems too complicated because I'll need to change my current router and also don't know the MAC addresses of the guests in advance...
Seems a bit hopeless...

As I said on your other thread, you are going to end up with some very unhappy airbnber's if they have things turn off when they're actually there. Also, when they leave, how are you getting the keys? Aren't you going in to clean up? It seems that motion timeout is the worst possible method to do what you are asking. But yes, this is very easily possible in Rule Machine.

Triggers:  All motion sensors changing

Actions:

If any motion sensor active THEN
     Cancel Delayed actions
     Set virtual presence to Present
Else
     Delay actions by 1 hour (for exacmple)  cancelable
     Set virtual presence to "Not Present"
End-IF.

I do this with a SmartThings presence sensor. Just put it on the key ring you give them. It works fine. AC (via Sensibo) come on for them automatically when they near home, lights on/off etc. I also have several Google Home/Hub devices in the property, I use an rPi3b to provide remote access using VNC when needed. I sell it in the Airbnb description as a novel, cool thing. Guests seem to like it. I also explain its an immature technology and my hobby and that usually helps manage the inevitable issues :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and code snippet, it looks promising!
I just want to avoid that they leave the AC running all the time even when they are not at home just that.
The keys are left in the apartment when their stay ends, I have a smart lock with a keypad on the outside of the door. So they can close the door by clicking on a button in it.
I'm planning to combine the motion sensors with a presence fob, but the ones I have seen have horrible reviews....

Hi @Angus_M thanks for your input and experience with a similar situation.
I'm currently using a Nuki smart lock to provide access to the property it works remarkably well so the only thing is to disconnect the AC when nobody is in the flat for a certain period of time.
I had a look on the ST presence sensor, I think we are talking about this SmartThings - SmartThings Arrival Sensor but it has terrible reviews and it seems the battery life is really poor.
Have you had those issues when using it?

Yeah, that's the one. Seems to work ok for me on their key fob. Others on this forum also seem to have reasonable experience with it (some have connected larger batteries to it, throw it in the glove box of their car, and use it as a sensor to alert when their car arrives/departs the property). Battery lasts around 6 months in my experience. I did have some issues with the battery not seating properly inside the device. All the ST devices have poor battery bay design in my opinion. But my Iris key fob is even worse (basically unusable because the battery connection is so poor).

Like you, I did also think about using WiFi connectivity. Basically you'd give them the WiFi details when they arrive, then interrogate your router to see what new phone had connected. Then use that mac ID to fix the IP address and then use the WiFi presence app. But it's a load of hassle each time the guest comes/goes, and depends on them having their phone on. I think the presence sensor is a heck of a lot easier.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if face recognition was more readily available and socially acceptable! :smile:

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

1 Like

6 months is not bad! I will give it a shot to see if it can work in my setup!
Thanks for all the info!
I'll keep this thread updated with my findings.

Nest or Ecobee (and probably other) thermostats have their own presence detection and will shut off AC after they detect no one is home.

@jon1 thanks for your input, do you know how reliable are they? How do they detect presence or lack of it?

Hi @Angus_M and everybody else using Nuki Smart Locks !

I have a BETA version of the Nuki Smart Lock 2.0 integration available for the brave and fearless to try ...

@Angus_M, in your case, if your A/C unit is controllable by Hubitat, you can trigger the A/C off using Hubitat Elevation's Rule Machine.

Marco Felicio

1 Like

Thanks Marco. I don't have a smart lock yet, just the SmartThings presence sensor that was discussed above. I do use that for Airbnb guests at my other place and it activates lights and AC's (using Sensibo) - that is when the battery doesn't run out :smile:

The word runs on batteries ! :laughing:

Marco

Soon, hopefully!