A great find!

I thought that I would share a great find, perhaps someone else will need this.

I was asked by someone (for whom I installed a system), for a remote control device. This particular individual would constantly get into their car, and only then realize the the Alarm/HSM system was not set up. As well, they wanted the flexibility of coming home, and disabling the Alarm/HSM system from the car in the driveway. The driveway is at least 50 feet from the Front Door of the house (the nearest repeater).
After looking around, I settled on the following device, made by Heiman:
Many thanks to @muxa for coming up with a driver for this device, which is available at:

This key fob allows the user to arm/disarm from the car in the driveway, (as well as issue any other commands based on the 4 Zigbee buttons). It uses a CR2032 battery, so I'm not sure how long it will last, but the Key Fob itself seems to be sturdily well built. It's available from your favourite Chinese marketplace.

6 Likes

pretty cool device. any reason the customer didn't just use their phone to arm/disarm their alarm?

Indeed, that was my first recommendation.
Their response:
"I want something easier!"
My response:
"what the client wants (and is willing to pay for), the client gets..."

3 Likes

it's their money, go crazy customer. just be sure to include my 10% fee on top :laughing:

1 Like

If one doesn't like the look of the keyfob, want many more choices like wall switches or get more cheap remotes for the whole family, can use the eWelink zigbee+RF 4ch switch. Each switch can be linked to multiple 433Mhz remote buttons (and have 3 modes on how the buttons interact)

Cons: it's switch so only on/off event, no hold or double click events.

Very cool.

I'm doing something similar in our car using the fantastic Casseta Pico along with the Car Visor clip:

Works really well with good range.

2 Likes

I have to state for the record, I have in my own house only a few Caseta devices, which I did basically as a demonstration project.
Nonetheless, if I had to rate HA Protocols in terms of dependability, reliability, and range:

1. Clear Connect RF Technology (Lutron)
  2. Zigbee
  3. Zwave
    In my humble opinion, I don't know if anyone here would disagree about number 1.
    Certain people here would say that I have 2 and 3 mixed up, but that's just my humble opinion.
3 Likes

Theoretically and bad routing issues aside the lower frequency of Z-Wave SHOULD mean it travels farther, slower (less data) but farther... also with less interference.

Well, you can hug them, go on and on about them, or thrust your hips like @PaulHibbert all day long to 2 or 3, but number 1 will still be in the correct place for reliability.

2 Likes

_HarveyBirdman

1 Like

@erktrek
You are absolutely right, in theory.
Now, tell me from your own experience - where have you had less issues? Zigbee or Zwave?
In real-life installations, for you, has Zigbee been less problematic or Zwave?

If your answer is that Zigbee has been less issues, and less problems, I rest my case. (Even though it's technologically inferior).

1 Like

Oh I agree with you and I guess a point could be made that from a routing standpoint Zigbee could maybe be technically superior, more robust. I have had a lot less issues with Zigbee and interestingly the number of ZB devices deployed at my house has slowly increased over time.

How did you get a picture of (former) Vice President Mike Pence dancing with a disco ball?
:grin:

1 Like

Lutron is the best in many ways, especially if you only count dependability, reliability, and range. But the cost is a barrier to some, and their switches/dimmers lack many features (double tap, scenes, indicator lights, etc). And they don't look like a normal switch (for good or for bad).

Zigbee sensors often seem to work faster, than Zwave. They are inexpensive and decent on batteries. But there is a lack of wall switches compared to Zwave. And then you have the Aqara and others that do stupid crap with faux Zigbee. Why they couldn't just follow the standard is a mystery. But it is inexpensive, and pairing them to a hub is fast and easy.

Zwave once you get it dialed in seems to work OK, and seems less prone to dropping out. But the inclusion process is terrible at times, and the whole ghost thing and S0 security is a load of crap. The sensors seem to be slow compared to other protocols. Things are more expensive, but there is only one Zwave and things are (for the most part) guaranteed to work together. There are tons of light switches and relays available in Zwave.

I think there is a place for all these protocols in a home. I just use what is best for each situation.

With Z-Wave LR that should bring Z-Wave to a more "Lutron"-like place in terms of reliability hopefully.

I don't like that Lutron is the sole source provider of their tech though, too much control for my comfort. I have had a Lutron switch fail at a clients and also parts the same system fall out of range. Fixed that issue by adding dimmer/repeater plug. So my experience has not been "flawless" just amazingly good.

1 Like

That's an interesting idea I never thought of. :slight_smile: Like it!

1 Like

Shake it, Race, shake it!! :wink:

1 Like

I think that may have been the very first episode of the "Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law" cartoon series. Wicked funny..

It will have a vastly longer range than anything Lutron can currently do.

I have a LoRa sensor (almost identical radio technology to zwave lr) inside my central/community metal mailbox 0.5 mile away and my indoor gateway can still talk to it.

Have anither LoRa sensor inside my outdoor beer fridge in a stucco enclosed counter, and it still has over 20 dB singal strength left at max speed/min radio time. It has enough signal strength that it didn't even bother lowering speed or increase radio time. The SNR sucks on it, but LoRa can demodulate down to something like -20 dB, which is pretty sweet.

Zwave lr can't come fast enough in my opinion.

2 Likes

Are these battery powered devices? Just curious what type of battery life you're seeing from these devices. I would guess there has to be a tradeoff somewhere for such long range?