2.3.7.140 and unstable zigbee network

After updating from2.3.6.146 to 2.3.7.140 I noticed almost immediately that my Zigbee devices started acting up (Sengled bulbs not turning off/changing color, Smart plugs not working). I tried re-discovering and that didn't fix. The last straw was when I got the 'Zigbee network is offline' message. Nothing I did helped. I tried re-discovering and that didn't fix. Finally stepped down back to 2.3.6.146 and everything is stable again.
I am good to go now (at 2.3.6.146) but wanted to share in case it was not reported or if any others have the same experience with the update.

Id like to update to the latest so if anyone has an idea on what I can do to get it right I'm all ears. Thanks!

1 Like

I have a similar experience but havent rolled back yet. Hopefully the next version brings some zigbee stability back.

1 Like

Sounds like a mesh issue.

1 Like

Did you try to re-enable your Zigbee network on the Zigbee details page when you got the offline message?

1 Like

I did not. Was not aware of that option. will add that to my troubleshooting toolbox for future. Thanks!

You're referring to this toggle right?

I've had the same type of issues.
They have been compounded by other issues - overlapping wifi spectrum (a new neighbour), a very "chatty" device, some devices not working at all, etc. Also, the Zigbee 3.0 radio can also be a source of great frustration - especially when dealing with previous generation Zigbee devices.
This symptom can be indicative of a multitude of issues working together.
It's tough to diagnose because you just have to work through each issue at a time, and that also can create instability. However, sooner or later you have to face the music. Unfortunately, it can take a lot of time.

Any suggestion(s) ?

Yea i have some stability back from doing some troubleshooting but not like it used to be yet. I have 2 Sonoff usb dongle repeaters on the way from amazon. I have heard good things about them then I will dump the ikea repeaters and outlets.

1 Like

It really was like a night and day situation though... All was working fine no probs at all. Updated the version and my zigbee devices flaked. rolled back the version and back to smooth sailing.

1 Like

I suggest that before you dump the Ikea repeaters, just make sure that they are indeed working.
To check if they work:

1. turn zigbee logging on, in a tab
  2. in another tab, bring up the ikea repeater. click on the 2 boxes on the device page
  3. switch back to the zigbee logging page. Do you see the ikea repeater?
2 Likes

Another issue that I've noticed, is that with 2.3.7.x , If it is set on the zigbee details page, to rebuild the database every time that there is a reboot, then it may take a considerable time (perhaps as long as 24 hours) after a database is rebuilt for all the zigbee devices to "report in". Therefore, there may be no stability for that length of time.

1 Like

Yes - in some cases the radio can toggle off, and it simply needs to be turned on again. :slight_smile:

You can also look at the Hub Events section of the Logs tab for any radio events. If your hub radio turns off it should be noted there.

1 Like

I don't remember this option being set as a default, and don't see it on the 2.3.7 beta release announcement topic.

1 Like

I may have that wrong.
I will amend my previous post.

1 Like

thanks, checked all of that but just made sure, all the ikea repeaters report on the zigbee logs. I have like 8 of them and they all report. Even updated their firmware, only a few actually get used by my devices. I even turned the power down on the C8 to try and force them to use the repeaters and no luck. Hopefully the Sonoff dongles help the mesh as much as everyone says because it seems like the C8 needs all the Zigbee help it can get at the moment.

I'm a big fan of the SonOff and also the tiny Tuya Zigbee repeaters (which are much easier to hide than the SonOff). :slight_smile:

You probably know, but you'll need to flash the SonOff after they arrive - info on that here.

I'm using a mixture of SonOff, Iris/Centralite, Ikea, Tuya, & Sengled repeaters on my two hubs.

2 Likes

Thanks! I have that thread bookmarked and ready. I also have a couple of the tuya dongles on the way from aliexpress. I will probably keep the ikea repeaters around but I dont really enjoy the ikea outlets so ordered some thirdreality outlets to replace them OR I have also ordered some Kasa Matter outlets ,,, lots of stuff to play with once everything arrives.

for now I have discovered some sort of ghost, started a thread on that a few minutes ago.

1 Like

What a nice present I received!
I woke up this morning to find my Zigbee in a funk....
I did a channel scan, and look what I found: one of my neighbours has put their zigbee on the same exact channel as mine (channel 20):

What a present!

3 Likes

Well at least it may be an easy fix then!

1 Like

Sometimes my full channel scan works, and sometimes it doesn't....
I'm not sure under what circumstances it doesn't work, but many times it just doesn't show anything...

2 Likes