[2.2.4.139] Woke up to Slowwwww world - delays & non-responsive

Woke up to snappy world. Let's hope it's a trend.

I just fired it up. It measures temperature! I didn't expect that. It's in F, which I like, but there must be a way to change parameters to C because one of the parameters in the driver is what delta T, in C, for a report (default is .5C).

While probably more suitable for windows, I think I could make it work for doors.

I'm gonna take a walk to the end of my driveway (it's snowing), and see if it can make it out to the mailbox.

edit: Wow it works. Don't know how long it would last with that small battery though.

Yeah, all of my contact sensors do temp as well as contact. I would have assumed the Ecolink would too. Most of us use Zigbee for doors/windows 'cause they are faster and "just work." I had GoControl and I think a couple of Ecolinks when I first started w/ST, but replaced them all w/Zigbee sensors (Visonic) over time.

I have one sensor on an outside gate on one corner of my house, and two others outside on the other end (electric panel and shed) and they all report back w/out issue. I have a good Zigbee mesh w/plug repeaters supporting it.

I'm in SoCal so no snow (but I can drive an hour or so and have some part of the year!) but it can get down to the 30's in our "Winter" and my outside contact sensors using a 2032 go for many months, but usually not years before needing replacement.

i like the ecolinks as they are narrower.. cheaper batteries and easy to swap out for a new one if you want as it has a little slide in attachement you mount instead of the sensor itself..

1 Like

Hey, thanks a bunch. I don't think the sensor would stick to the plastic mailbox right now with ambient of 22F, but I could warm things up...

I was first impressed with the range of the ST arrival sensor, which reached out to the gate, also with a little battery.

Temperature as a bonus really tickles my fancy. I see a sunset to the Ecolinks in the future.

But, I'd still like to get them to work. 6 of them weren't exactly cheap.

No real problem to take out the larger battery and reinsert like I've been doing. Will be more of a problem with these, but supposedly you can reset with a magnet wave. Ecolink is more suitable for door mounting, I feel. But larger.

1 Like

Apologies, I'm a unmitigated promoter of the Visonic suckers, I just love 'em. :wink:

Visonics use 2032, can't get a lot cheaper than that for batteries, and you can replace the batteries w/out moving/removing the sensor. You can't swap out for a new sensor, but then again I've never had any of mine go bad. I have one that reported lower battery than actual (would say low but still last and last) but I forgave it for that.

And in terms of "stealth installs" - let's just note that Visonic is the only contact sensor approved by the WAF Institute that manages my home automations. Quote: "Keep using those, they're nice and small and blend in so I don't see them all the time." :wink:

Damn...that's getting into real weather. I grew up on the east coast part of my life and remember having actual seasons and snow days and such. :slight_smile:

You can use the contact sensors (and most Zigbee motion sensors also do temp, and some do humidity) to manage HVAC. Take an average across groups of sensors around the house, or use a subset of them to control how the thermostat behaves if you want one part of the house to be warmer. Having temp sensors all over is a nice contact sensor bonus. :slight_smile:

The ones I have actually use a CR2450. They're also not too expensive on eBay. The plastic mailbox just laughed at the little sticky pad. Have to find an alternative. That's another nice thing about the Ecolink-you can screw 'em on.

LOL...I hear a "Bwah hah hah hah hah" coming from the mailbox. :slight_smile:

Yup - though I never needed it, the screw-in option does have its uses. Maybe you can use this to hold it?

i had to use this for my mailbox..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TC16SZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm

Cool. That looks nice to have around in general...

I actually bought a roll of VHB for my dashcams. I think there might be different types of VHB, but I don't know.

it is sometimes a bitch to get the red backing off.. i use a exacto knife to start it very fine blade.

i also use this to tack up the wires in the bathrooms and kitchens for my water sensors.

1 Like

Looks like this daddy is getting a stocking stuffer... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slowww world this afternoon. A rule not usually seen was affected: the breezeway motion sensor light. No Ecolink contact sensor involved.

Also, my garage operation via the Zooz Zen16 and the Zooz app on presence sensing (ST) has been squirelly of late. I'm liking slowwww world as the culprit.

After paying better attention for several days now, I finally reverted back to 2.2.3.148 this evening, as @kahn-hubitat has said fixed his delay issues. So far, so good (though I had to re-make several SAR 1.1 rules that don't work and I cannot delete now... minor issue).

I've been trying to pay better attention to my automations related to contact sensor triggers (all are Z-wave). I believe I'm seeing issues beyond ecolink contact sensors (specificlly seeing at least one issue with an Aeotec Door / Window sensor 6, updated firmware). There is also one ecolink that has automations that I don't believe has ever had issues.

I still do not believe this to specific to poor mesh, as I can control the devices related to the automation perfectly fine right up to the point of the contact registering a change, triggering an automation. Then, it seems, at least a portion of my z-wave network becomes unresponsive for 5 - 30 seconds (to clarify here, it appears the hub still getting z-wave traffic, as the contact in question continues to show state changes as it opens and closes, but the switches related to the attached automation do not function during this time, and sometimes other switches will not function from dashboard or device page).

The battery and "repeated action" trick on the ecolinks that @velvetfoot described also work the same for me: seems to jar the automations free and things work for a period of time normally related to that specific contact, but only for automations related to that contact.

I have consistently had issues with the same sensors first thing in the morning, having gone to bed with things working well (after either a battery removal or "repeated action" on the contacts).

Every version of 2.2.4 has seemed to exhibit this same issue with the delayed automations. Again, the contacts register events in normal time (not delayed). Logging doesn't seem to point to anything obvious.

I'm hoping a general issue with z-wave contact sensors is somehow involved here...

42 posts were split to a new topic: Ecolink sensors unresponsive

My admittedly small number of Z-Wave devices I own are very fast and the hub has never been faster or more stable than it is right now. But what that heck does any of that have to do with the title of this thread, now 405 replies long? We're on 2.2.4.158 today and Z-Wave is not slow. How about I close this thread @danabw and y'all can talk about your Ecolink sensor issues in a new one?

Don't really feel this is my call (even though I do think of myself as "King of a Lot of Stuff" off and on :wink: ). Frankly I was wondering recently if the Ecolink sensor issue could benefit from its own thread...if that is created I think you'd want to move a portion of this thread to it so that the history is there. Feel free to adjust. :slight_smile: