2.2.3 Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message

After updating to 2.2.3 and the Z-Wave radio update my z-wave devices were not responding since last night. This morning looking through here I saw a couple of folks resolved it with a full shutdown which I just tried and upon turning it back on I'm seeing lots of these busy messages on the logs.

I tried removing the failed nodes yesterday after the update but they didn't go away. I still have 6 of them showing in my network. I'm waiting for the network to rebuild for a while and will try removing them again.

Is there anything else I can do?

Did you submit a support request?

Also, there are a couple other threads about this you may want to watch. Here is one:

This is how I fixed it, posted in another thread.

Not yet, but that's a great idea. I'll do that now.

I'm not sure that I have a backup of my last setup on the previous version. It didn't occur to me to do it before the update :man_facepalming:. But maybe I'll try that.

Oh, it turns out the hub is smart enough to keep daily backups. That's pretty sweet! I'll try that now.

1 Like

If that doesn't help try gracefully shutting down and pulling the power from the hub for 30s. The zwave radio doesn't fully reset on regular reboots, so if it is hung up/gummed up reboots/restores may not clear it out. Only way is to pull power (after a graceful shutdown of course).

1 Like

I had already tried that. Reverting to the previous version fixed it. I'll wait for a bit to try upgrading again. It's great that at least it's this easy to revert the version.

2 Likes

Good idea. Staying at 2.2.2, if possible, is a perfectly sound strategy while the team works on some fixes/improvements.

3 Likes

Being worked on...

Still seeing lots of Z-Wave busy on 2.2.3.132

2 Likes

I'm still holding back on the update.

Yep, lots of Z-Wave Network busy. Also, z-Wave "replace" doesn't work.

I haven't tried a 'replace' with 2.2.3.132, but I have more than a few times with previous 2.2.3 It did work. I'll give it another try later, but it was quite exiting to do those previous times. :slight_smile:

What I did was replace a device with itself... I Joined a device, then using another Hub, I excluded it, which does not alter the original hub. Then I waited for "Failed" and clicked Replace. I put the device into Include, and it did.. although the UI needs some beautifying. :smiley:

OK, UPDATE:

Works.

I took an Aeon MultiSensor 6 I have paired to my C-7. I hit Exclude from one of my other hubs. The device and hub both agreed that it had been excluded.

Then I just had to wait for the C-7 to detect the loss. To accelerate it, I did a Configure which sends a few dozen ZWave commands to the (now dead) MultiSensor. Those fails convinced the Hub the device was Not Responding. I clicked Refresh and it came back as Failed with the Replace button available. I clicked Replace, and pushed the button on the MultiSensor. The LED on it indicated it was conversiong and the hub rather more quickly than I was expecting announced "done" -- logs blew by responding to all those jammed up Config commands, so it's very clear it's talking.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 8.46.59 PM

Beautification = Stop Replace when it's saying it's stopped?, and Status of done is not as exciting as say... "Replace Successful"

One factor to mention is that the Type reverted to Hubitat's built-in Aeon MultiSensor 6 driver vs the one I usually use and had selected prior to the repair: AeotecMultiSensor6. This is, I believe, as it should be...

Replace is nothing but a normal Include with a specific Node Number vs "next". Which means I could have replaced the MultiSensor with a Dimmer, theoretically and therefore, matching the driver to the device is the right thing to do.

1 Like

Yes!! A clearer message would be very helpful. "Replace is NOT Running" seems to indicate the exact opposite of "Replace Successful." And why does the button say "Stop Replace" if replace is NOT running and status is done.

Now "Replace" doesn't even show up as an option.

Which firmware are you running?

Update - Replace is appearing again. I think I figured it out - you first have to try a "Repair" and then when the Repair finds nothing, you can do a Replace.

Replace is not working for me. Always getting "Replace is NOT Running" & "status: failed", even after doing Repair a dozen times. I'm on 2.2.3.148

@vdbg Was the device that you are trying to use as the Replacement ever paired to another Z-Wave Network? If so, you should first try to do a "factory reset" or exclude on the device. If you don't have the user guide to figure out how to do the factory reset, you can usually find them by looking here: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/ . Else, try doing an "exclude" from hubitat to clear out the old Z-Wave network information.