Zwave setup not working with Zooz devices (C7)

Hubitat’s email support may be swamped and need some work, but, with the exception of Bruce, everyone in this thread who has responded is a user, just like you, not Hubitat staff. Bruce is co-founder and chairman of Hubitat. It’s his company. You’ve had the top guy helping you in this thread.

Anyway, it’s hard for me to understand why you are having such difficulty with this device. Perhaps it’s something with that device. Try going back to ground zero with the hub (EDIT: Z-Wave Radio reset (not hard reset), shutdown, power off 30 sec, power up, backup, soft reset, restore) then try with another of the dimmers that have been factory reset.

Edit: ok, here is the inclusion/exclusion/reset stuff for the ZEN23 toggle:

Looks like you are correct, it gets factory reset on every exclude, and that’s the only way to do it. Because of that, after you hard reset the hub, you still need to exclude the switch (which the hub has now forgotten). To do so: on Z-Wave Device Discovery page (Discover Devices in upper right menu), hit Z-Wave Exclusion, then do the Exclusion dance for the switch (“Remove device from your hub”). You should get a response “unknown device excluded”. That may have been the problem - the switches wouldn’t include because they thought they were already included.

As for the ZEN24 dimmers, here is their info:

Seems like same process for them. Do the same thing.

See if that works. My wife wants me to go to bed, we have been up since 4:00 am, we are old & tired. You will understand someday.

3 Likes

@pro75357 i know you said you're on 2.2.4.148, but just also wanted to confirm you updated the z-wave radio on your HE as well

1 Like

Good point it possible @pro75357 had a old hub? Where did you by it? The very early versions needed a update to the z-wave firmware.

@pro75357 I wouldn't advise a full reset, if you're going down that route a radio wipe then a soft reset with no restore is the same but without needing to register the hub.

Also again make sure your on the latest update, a new one was pushed.

Apparently, from comments upthread, he has updated to 2.2.4.153 during this process at the suggestion of a couple of us:

I hadn’t considered that. @pro75357, could you make sure your Z-Wave radio has gotten the firmware update that early C-7 hubs (like mine) needed?

Go to Z-Wave Details page, hit the “Firmware Update” button, make sure you get the message that the firmware is already up to date when you try to do the update.

At this point, if the hub can’t include the switch, after it has first been excluded (see above about exclude doing a factory reset- odd), then something may be wrong with that switch.

1 Like

I don't have any suggestions to help, and I do hope you get this issue fixed to your satisfaction. But I just wanted to point out that the only people who work for Hubitat here either have the word "staff" next to their avatar picture, or a badge that looks like a shield next to the avatar picture.

All others are users that want to help.

1 Like

My mistake typing late at night. THIS IS WRONG. Not Hard reset, but Z-Wave Radio reset (at bottom of Z-Wave Details page).

Post edited above to correct.

Following this thread as it is similar to a situation I am in. I hope you get there pro75357 - especially if I can learn from it. lol.

New hub from September worked fine until updates started applying close to two weeks ago. Was convinced a Z-Wave radio reset would help, now I can not get anything to reconnect... Plenty of Zooz, GE, Aeotec, and other brand devices that were fine up until 2 weeks ago are now all useless and can't be seen by the hub for include or exclude. One Zooz Zen06 came back in and works fine and that makes about as much sense as the dozens of devices that refuse to connect.

Biggest thing this thread did for me was to convince me not to full reset, but there will be a soft reset tonight... thanks. After that, hoping for the best, but there may be the hard choice of continuing to struggle or to go back to SmartThings.

I have accepted that the Hubitat hub’s antenna seem to have lower gain than those of Wink and SmartThings (I had both previously), or that Wink and SmartThings had more error recovery code for tolerating a weak Z-Wave mesh. I just shrugged my shoulders and bought a bunch (5) of Ring Extender 2 repeaters to make my mesh strong, and haven’t had problems. In fact, the 2.2.4.153 firmware is the best I have seen on my C-7. After letting things sit overnight, my devices are faster than they have ever been. The Z-Wave Plus background repair and self-routing improvement features are truly working, as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

it is very rare a user will ever need to do a full reset on a hub. other than wanting to re-sell the device or relocate it to another location, i don't see any reason to do it (i could be wrong, but i'll leave staff to give that advise to do a full reset)

2 Likes

I started my transition from SmartThings last week and have a house full of Zooz stuff including 16 switches. I understand the frustration. I've likened the zwave functionality to a house of cards. one wrong move and it all falls down. But through a lot of reading and experimenting I was able to get nearly everything connected and working properly. Here's what I found worked in my case.

Zooz switches don't seem to like S2 security on Hubitat. You probably don't need security on a light switch so I found they add much better if you uncheck all the security boxes when prompted.

If things stop working do a full shutdown, unplug, plug back in, of the C7. A reboot does not include the zwave radio. You have to do the shutdown unplug to include the zwave radio. Then wait a good 10 minutes for things to settle down before trying again.

When adding a device if it does not complete look at the zwave details and make sure it did not create an entry. DO NOT go on to trying another device if it did. First wait a bit and hit refresh a few time on the entry in zwave details to see if it completes. If it does not, then put the hub in exclule and the device and see if that removes the entry. If not, then refresh, discover a few times until you get the remove button. If you absolutely can't get the entry to complete or remove you may have to wait for the overnight maintenance to clean it up.

If you are moving a device from another hub make sure you factory reset it after removing it from the other hub.

The Zooz 4 in 1 motion sensors use S0 security and as soon as I got 3 of them added my zwave went to hell and had a lot of delays in running anything. It cleared up when I removed them. I've ordered a zwave stick so I can try a work around to get them to add with no security.

Don't spam the repair zwave button. Fast way to get zwave to stop responding. (hitting it multiple times in a short period of time)

Time heals a lot. Letting things sit through overnight maintenance or allowing zwave+ explorer packets to work their magic helps.

One device at a time. If you have problems with one device don't move on to the next if there is still an incomplete object in the zwave details.

Work from the hub out with your hardwired (repeater) zwave devices.

2 Likes

This is really good advice. All newcomers would benefit from reading it.

Only two things I would add for those coming from another hub:

(1) you are building a new mesh. Your repeaters and repeating mains-powered devices will not be repeating on the new mesh until you bring them over, so your Hubitat mesh will start out weak. As it grows stronger as more and more repeaters and mains-powered devices are migrated, your prior hub’s mesh will grow weaker. It’s been debated how to do this, but I’m of the opinion that it’s best to rip the Band-Aid off, take the old mesh down in one fell swoop, excluding each device as you go, then, and only then, build the new mesh from the Hubitat hub outward.

(2) the Hubitat hub’s antenna gain seems weaker than the Wink and SmartThings antennas (I came from Wink, passing briefly through SmartThings, no experience on other hubs). I just shrugged my shoulders and bought a bunch (now 5) of Ring Range Extender 2 devices, which have battery backup and report power fail events. They can be tricky to pair, and seem to require S2 pairing in order to report power failures. I use one of them to report loss of power to our Garage freezer, which is on a GFCI circuit with our outdoor patio outlets, and has to been known to lose power during heavy rain to the patio.

1 Like

My strongest advice is don't try to move over gradually, rip the bandaid off and convert over a weekend. That way you don't end up w/two weakened meshs as you move from ST to HE, and you can build your new HE mesh in the best possible way.

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and your patience. Usually, our initial response is within 24 hours and subsequent follow ups are addressed within 3 business days. I see that you have provided the requested details on Monday evening. If you don't receive a response tonight, someone will surely follow up on your email tomorrow. As mentioned above, our support is running a little bit behind because of the Thanksgiving weekend.

2 Likes

Surprised you're running at all after all that stuffing I saw you guys eating...

:turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :shallow_pan_of_food: :shallow_pan_of_food: :shallow_pan_of_food: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Thank you - marking this as the "Solution" because this is what I was looking for. For those of you that don't know, I initially started this thread with the title of "Support not responding" and someone changed it. I don't agree with the change but will let it stand because whatever.

I think the 2.2.4.153 firmware- that I upgraded to before all of yesterday's adventure - was a dud. Seeing trouble with it in other threads as well.
Just noted 2.2.4.156 is available and am going to update to that now. I'm also in touch with Zooz support and will be working through them. I will post updates later this evening.

1 Like

Ok. Please note the factory reset details that I found and posted above. Your failures to include could be explained, as I discuss above, if the switches and dimmers didn’t start out in a factory reset state, and, instead, believed that they were already included.

Good. The 2.2.4.156 update is more tolerant of weak meshes, which is how you start out when you first migrate to a new hub.

Hey - Yeah, that's the documentation that comes with the devices. Excluding the switches is effectively a factory reset, and the dimmers you can triple-down and hold.

Right now I'm trying to get a single switch included, but it consistently gets stuck on "Initializing". Everything else has been reset and I'm not going to bother with them for now.

The Z-wave radio freezes up is all I can tell. The logs just quit or say "Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message." It won't work again at all until a z-wave reset. And yes this is on the newest firmware released today 2.2.4.156

Please reboot your hub.

Then when your hub comes back up go to /hub/zwaveVersion and post the output.

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:14, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:14, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:2, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:14], [target:2, version:2, subVersion:3]])

And because it was questioned above:

I'm sorry I'm just seeing this thread.. I have a lot of Zooz Zen23s and Zen24s (from Versions 2 thru 4) switches installed both at my house and at a clients and everything appears to be working fine for the most part. I have had difficulty pairing sometimes - I usually use the 3 rapid down presses for both exclusion and inclusions. Also some older paired devices (prior firmware) stopped responding and had to be excluded/included again for some reason.

1 Like