Zwave repair

This is covered in the Ghost Removal topic already, and has been discussed a number of times, maybe you missed it. HE has to follow certain rules for hub certification by SilLabs for Z-Wave, PC Controller SW is a development tool for SW engineers and does not have to follow those rules.

This. ^^^

I did a zwave uzb procedure. Wow was that long but they are still on the zwave list as discover. The only thing while reading is that power has to be removed. I don't even no which devices they are.
In the device class the read either Slave, Repeater,Sendor or door lock. all with (SIC) after them. I had rebooted the hub after removal also. I assume that these devices are battery operated but again I don't know which ones.

The screenshots you posted make it clear they are not battery powered devices.

1 Like

What procedure? Please, detail the steps you took. If you still see ghosts in your Hubitat hub after using a Z-Wave stick and the PC Controller software, you didn't do something correctly. Once you get the software setup correctly, finding and removing ghosts is fairly simple.

Have you tried any of this?:

• Click Refresh on the device ONCE, wait for the page to refresh. The Remove button should then appear. Click Remove ONCE. Again, wait. May want to have logs open while doing this as well.
  • Sometimes it takes multiple tries of the Refresh button to get the Remove button to appear. Try to be patient and NOT click Refresh furiously. If you start getting "Zwave busy" error messages in your logs, power down and reboot again.
  • It is common for it to take multiple tries at the Refresh/Remove buttons to remove a ghost, give it at least five or six attempts before assuming it's not going to work. Shutting down/restarting between successful removals can also help.
1 Like

If you can't remove them through the Hubitat interface, the you will need a USB stick and will have to download the SiLabs controller software. Please use this link...

I did the exact procedure you indicated. I downloaded Silicon labs and Simplicity and followed all instructions. It took a while but did step by step. I had printed out the PDF file and did the removal.

And you're saying there are still ghosts left?

Yes. Zwave details show several in Discover.

I hate to say it but you did something wrong.

I think I missed something on Com4 Network Management I clicked the ID one number. I guess I was supposed to go back and repeat the other 4 ID numbers.

I am at this point and directions say to click on IS FAILED but it is greyed out but IS failed has a check mark the ghost device turned red but REmove Failed is greyed out. I tried NOP but Is Failed is greyed out.

On the left just highlight 59, click remove. Do for all ghosts

They were probably 500 series or lower zwave chips which perform differently. I assume they would have the same level of info available as Hubitat. The C5 and under from what I understand you can have ghosted nodes but they are not visible on the Hubitat UI. Not sure if Hubitat hides them or it is a zwave SDK thing that hides it. If you connect a secondary controller with PC Controller you can then see them. The ghosted nodes also seem to have less of an impact on C5 hubs (so I had heard before).

So with that being said, are you certain you actually did not have ghosted nodes? Or maybe you just didn't know, and they did not cause any problems.

All this started when I installed a Kwikset 620 lock and it would not pair. I even moved the hub to with 3 ft of the lock and still wouldn't pair so the community said that if you have ghost nodes it will not pair.

I had a few ghosts on my C-5 (created when updating Zooz firmware). My hub slowed down to a crawl within a few hours of a reboot. Normalcy was restored only after removing those ghosts.

2 Likes

This doesn't match what you posted earlier. The lock pairs; however, during pairing, the option to pair without security was picked. Therefore, the lock was not functional after pairing.

2 Likes

I do not agree with that, nor do I agree with the all ghosted/powered off nodes are evil logic. It really depends on a lot of factors if they are doing any harm or not, and without digging into all of that the easy solution is to get rid of them I suppose. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

This, IMHO. ^^^ Though the connections between ghosts and Z-Wave mesh problems are usually easier to be confident of when there have been join failures and problems have started up...in those cases the causality seems much clearer.

2 Likes

Yes but it didn't take commands so I went through the whole process again restore to original exclude include and it never did again. Moved the hub to 3 ft and still never paired. So thats when they said to check for ghosts. I am going to move hub one more time and try it. If not back to Amazon it goes. Maybe a zigbee lock?

The problem is that you will continue to have z-wave issues with those ghosts..