Zwave radio “crashing” (Zwave no longer responding)

Lol. It’s too big to post screenshot.

I do have two zooz 4-in-1’s but they’re joined with no security.

Almost everything (except my single smoke/CO detector) are Zwave plus.

2 Likes

find that hard to believe anyone with over 20 devices has had ghosts during joinging.. maybe post your table in 4 parts anyway just so we can check.

lol. okay...

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 1.31.53 PM

no ghosts. have never had an issue with ghosts... so was never able to really help troubleshoot the issue when it was first happening with C-7's. But I also didn't buy a C-7 until they'd been out for a bit...

1 Like

Only thing I would do is remove s2 on all your devices except for locks and garage door stuff. Would make things a bit more responsive.

Or, if it ain't broke...?

1 Like

That too, though I like to break things

2 Likes

You and @erktrek live on the same precipice... :wink:

2 Likes

The contact sensors are Ring Gen 2’s. They REQUIRE S2.

1 Like

Interesting I have a ring v2 contact sensor and a ring v2 extender and they're paired as none... When pairing and it asks about security just click skip...

shrugs I think even @bcopeland has mentioned them being only partially functional, if at all, when not paired S2. But I could be mistaken.

They seem to work fine as they are.

2 Likes

If not s2 cannot do the power failure sensing

Sorry in was talking about the ring extenders

1 Like

Mine is paired as none and it switches status to battery just fine tripping my notification rules.

Everything still seems good. Will post back this weekend if things are still good.

Woke up to a similar issue described in this thread. I'm running a C7, latest release (2.3.1.142, with latest zwave firmware from the 2.3.1.x release). Hub was updated to 2.3.1.142 three days ago and hadn't been rebooted since the update.

Woke up this morning to zwave automation not functioning. Dashboards were loading but zwave devices weren't responding to input. Logged into the hub and went to the zwave section under settings. After an abnormally long page load time, the page did load but the zwave table was empty. I don't believe I've seen that happen before during my time with Hubitat. I rebooted the hub and things appeared to return to normal (zwave table populated corrected, zwave devices started working again, etc).

Shut down from the settings menu. Unplug power from HE at the wall (not the hub) for 5 mins and power back up. See if that helps (the power disconnect is key)

Also did you update your z-wave stack? This can be confirmed by going to settings))z-wave details and looking for the z-wave firmware update button at the top of the page. If it's not there you did. If it is there you didn't.

1 Like

Yes, I did update the Zwave stack / firmware with the initial rollout of 2.3.1.x (completed this prior to the update I performed 3 days ago to 2.3.1.142).

I understand a shutdown with power disconnect is best to ensure the radio is cycled. I was limited on time this morning before leaving for work, so once I saw the reboot corrected the issue, I disengaged. If I encounter the issue again, I'll perform a shutdown with power disconnect to see if that helps.

2 Likes

FWIW, I have not had this issue again since…

2 Likes

Glad you got it working! In case you do end up wanting to try the full power cycle, note that you only need to unplug for about 30 seconds (this is what staff have said and what is documented in Hubitat's Z-Wave manual). The "5 minute" thing has been floating around the forum for some time, but I'm not sure where it came from...

Either, of course, still requires a bit of time; just wanted to get this out there. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So I have to mention because apparently Bryan never does the "pull power" thing.. and the staff seem like this is not necessary. Read through these comments..

I'm a tad confused by this of course...would like to present good/accurate advice to people if possible.

4 Likes

I think five minutes grew from the one minute that grew from the 30s. :wink:

Seriously, at my old company, if we had to tell customers to wait for X min/sec after doing something, we would always increase the time we tell them to cover for folks who were impatient/bad timers. :slight_smile: So if we wanted them to wait for one minute, we'd tell them two minutes. We found it significantly improved effectiveness of instructions that had timings in them.

I use the extra 4m 30s to chant myself into a calm state.

And I was going to post what @erktrek just did, that staff has said that it's unnecessary to reboot, but we users do seem to see that it does seem to help with some intermittent issues.

3 Likes