Zwave radio “crashing” (Zwave no longer responding)

Curious if anyone else is seeing issues with Zwave going down on their C-7. This last time I restarted my hub it only lasted a couple days before going offline again.

On 2.3.0.124, which is when this seems to have started. Last time before this, stuff was still working, but logging for Zwave devices had stopped. :frowning:

Zwave details under settings does not load. So the hub has seemingly completely lost contact with the Zwave module.

Rebooting hub does not resolve. Have to shutdown, unplug, replug. :frowning:

@staze
Sounds like database corruption.

Go to settings>>back up and restore. Click the download button and save the file to your PC. This will be a clean backup.

Go to yourhubip:8081 and click softreset. Upon reboot you will restore the backup you saved on your computer.

Once you have done that do a shutdown from the settings menu. Unplug the hubitat at the wall (never the hub) for 10 mins. Power back up. See how things are. Once you do that post a shot of your z-wave settings page

hmm. have done this before. this time, clicking soft reset does nothing. =( sorry, no, it says "Unknown error occured". =(

Rebooted from 8081, and it came up having been reset. =/

Restored DB. Shut down for 10 minutes (via PoE port).

Will see how this goes. =)

1 Like

When you shut it down did you do it from the settings page first before powering off or did you just do it at the port?

sorry, I did shut it down (in a hurry because I started the PoE port shutdown by mistake first). it did register as "hub is shut down, you can remove power" (or whatever it says)

1 Like

Yeah dirty shutdowns can recorrupt the database, why I ask... What downloading the db does is actually clean it so when restored it's good

1 Like

yup. =)

That's because the browser has cached your credentials (Mac addr) and the hub isn't accepting them. Time out in other words that doesn't get the browser convinced. :slight_smile:

Refresh or clear browser cache is the solution.

1 Like

Makes sense. I had to open incognito just to see the error. :confused:

Just pretend that message was translated into:

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 10.02.01 AM

Of course, it would be nice if Hubitat did the translation :slight_smile:

Right @bobbyD ? :smiley:

1 Like

How's it behaving now?

Fine currently. Usually takes a couple days to flake out. :confused:

How does your z-wave details page look?

Fine. It’s got some routes to rediscover. A few things negotiated at 9.6 rather than expected 40-100.

We’ll see how things look tomorrow after nightly maintenance.

If those nodes persist at 9.6 next thing I'd try (after waiting, which is smart/good) would be an individual repair and then wait another couple days for them to hopefully re-route. Won't happen right away, @bcopeland has counseled patience waiting for the devices to find a new/better way home after a repair.

Yup. I haven’t run but one full repair on my c-7 since I got it, and then it was because a lot of us didn’t understand it wasn’t really necessary.

I’m also planning to move some of my repeaters in the next few days and hopefully “simplify” things. But we’ll see. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No ghosts? (or devices without routes?)

@rlithgow1, Bounty Hunter!!

:wink:

1 Like

There's always a god damned ghost... :rofl: Seriously, the majority of z-wave issues I see are ghosts, zooz sensors, lack of good repeaters, or bad device. Yeah there are some z-wave revision probs but for the most part it's one of the 4.... I have a tendency to check for ghosts right off the bat I know... I should just make a macro key on my keyboard "Post a screen shot of your z-wave table"

3 Likes

Nope. Never had an issue with ghosts.

1 Like