ZWave Mesh Not Meshing

The firmware in question is that of the Iris plugs.

Since you have the C5... put a repeater in the same room close by.

1 Like

Ok.. that's strange.. if there is no interference then this setup should work.. Unless these devices are surrounded by metal..

... are these switches not supposed to be installed in NMD90 boxes? I replaced existing switches with these Zooz switches.

The working switch is actually the middle switch in a 3-gang box, the others are single switches in single gang boxes.

BTW: the 3 closest ZWave battery powered devices to that Iris repeater are now reporting. Weirdly enough, one of them is my ZWave+ deadbolt, which is like 12" away from Z3.

I'm going to let everything settle and see if things start working. Kindof feels like these Zooz switches just aren't repeating commands.

From what I remember the Iris plugs were ZigBee, or did they have a Z-Wave version as well?

All of our switches, even VER. 1.0 were always Z-Wave Plus and network wide inclusion was part of that protocol so they should all support it.

If they're installed in metal boxes the signal will be significantly impaired because metal blocks Z-Wave signal at a high rate. I would recommend adding more repeaters, preferable also Z-Wave Plus to help communication, especially if you have devices installed in the garage as well.

1 Like

Should.

However I've found that the combination of weak radio in hubs like the C5 and even the ISY and with some devices it just does not work.

Not wanting to call out Zooz but it was also with testing of some of their devices where I had to put another powered device in the same room in between the hub and the other powered device just to get the end device to work correctly.

I did NOT have this same issue with another controller with a stronger radio and the same devices though so it's a combination of weak TX/RX on both ends that don't work out.

1 Like

The iris plugs in question are both zigbee and zwave.. It’s a zigbee plug with a z-wave repeater slapped on

1 Like

Have you tried removing the Aeon v1 HEMs from the mesh? My main hub has been very happy since I exiled those old (very chatty) 300 series devices to my 2nd HE hub.

I would put money on interference from an analog source.. Maybe it's even at a neighbor's house.. The symptoms and the layout.. I would bet it would be obvious with a spectrum analyzer..

I have been doing wireless network engineering since 2001... I would put money on the solid carrier wave analog interference source..

Throw out some ideas of probable sources? I'm not a RF engineer so this will be educational for me :slight_smile:

My best guess.. Would be something always transmitting.. Like a baby monitor or video source..

First thought is that cordless phone.... Specs say one thing but it could be polluting... maybe?

But cordless phones should be intermittent .. While someone is on the phone

Analog sources are the worst.. It can operate with other digital packet based devices just fine.. But something that has a solid carrier is hard to fight

I don't this issue is caused by his DECT 6.0 phones, but on the subject of cordless phones...

Years ago I had some 5GHz cordless phones that were completely screwing up my 5GHz WiFi. Just happened to notice it when I was using the laptop and testing the phones at the same time. Didn't have to be on the phone. As soon as I plugged in the base, the problem started.

No.. Dect phone wouldn’t .. But it used to be popular to make these 900Mhz

2 Likes

True, but he did say they were DECT 6.0

My Money is on the Aeon v1 HEM being the cause. Didn't get a response if he removed it. That's made a world of difference for me. Over 24 hours now, no reboot, no slow downs.
I know slowdowns are not the issue of this thread, but I'm dubious that they've not been the cause of issues I've had for quite some time. Good devices, but they seem to need to be isolated on a separate hub.

2am today was perfect. Only a 1 second response slowdown just after 2am and repeated testing from 2:30am to 2:45am was blissful, as everything was responding at normal speed. Testing again tomorrow from 2~3am to see if it was just a short-term fix or if I've finally found what the cause was. :crossed_fingers:

I didn't see that in the devices he listed.

He must have forgotten. He was asking about it in another thread.