ZWave Mesh Not Meshing

I bought 3 Zooz switches ~3 years ago (1x ZEN21 switch, and 2x ZEN22 dimmers). Finally got around to installing them, and having a hell of a time getting them to communicate with each other. I can get them to pair, though I did have to move the hub close, but as soon as the hub goes back to it's home, I lose communication.

So, I figured it was a mesh issue: my hub communicates with the closest switch reliably, but it cannot communicate with the two dimmers. The repair seems to do things as expected with the closest switch, but the other two go: starting, pinging, repair setting SUC route (x4). Now, one dimmer is relatively far away: 32.5ft, 1 wall obstruction (that has a pocket door in it) from the Zooz switch that reliably works. The other is closer, 18.5ft, but it is straight through a plaster wall into the garage.

I'll note, I had to move my hub to even get ANY of these Zooz switches to work. And, since moving the hub's location, everything else ZWave (4 battery powered devices, and the other two Zooz dimmers) doesn't work.

Is it possible that, somehow, my Zooz switch cannot communicate with either of the dimmers, despite them being well within the range ZWave should be capable? Should I be concerned about what firmware is installed on these devices (I have no way to update them)? I have some Iris plugs I could use as ZWave repeaters, but I hear that's bad, and I don't know what firmware is on those either (I bought these about 3 years ago as well).

2 Likes

@agnes.zooz may be able to address your firmware questions.

2 Likes

Sounds like you may need repeaters to get the signal there..

2 Likes

That was why I added these Zooz switches; repeaters! I am going to re-add one of my Iris plugs and see if it makes a mess of anything.

If it is too far from your hub to get a direct signal.. You can't repeat what you can't receive...

1 Like

You should never have to move your hub.. Most repeaters support network wide inclusion.. If you are having to move it, then the signal is not reaching there.. So including it there will most likely not do any good, because the signal will be gone when you move the hub back

4 Likes

That logically makes sense to me, but it's VERY common that people say you need to move your hub close to ZWave+ devices, of which all of my mains-powered devices are. Maybe things have changed? I have no idea, but I will tell you, none of my ZWave+ devices ever paired without having the hub within like 10ft.

I've added an Iris repeater on the wall between the closest non-responding switch, so I am going to see if I can exclude that switch first. The repeater seems to be behaving so far :slight_smile:

Now.. Some older devices before network wide inclusion was the norm, this was necessary.. But most plus devices support this.. Even though it was still optional in 500 series devices.. 700 series devices it is required..

2 Likes

Ok, this might be the issue: my devices are quite old. Like, at least 3 ... now that I think about it, maybe more like 5.

Those zooz's should support NWI .. and I know the iris repeater you mentioned supports NWI as well .. It's been the norm for quite a while..

1 Like

It appears nothing I own that is ZWave+ will pair away from the hub. I tried to pair an Iris repeater; no problem if it's in range of the hub. I tried pairing another one, but this one is about 20' from the Iris repeater with line of sight (Line of Sight to both the repeater, and the behaving Zooz switch), but is through 3 walls from the hub; will not pair.

I do not have any non-ZWave+ devices to test with, outside of un-pairing and re-pairing random other devices I own, which I feel is not in the cards right now.

Edit: About NWI, I am wondering if this was a firmware-added feature. Again, my stuff is old, and the Zooz stuff has not been attached to anything.

This is contradictory..

Ok .. so you have an iris repeater paired and communicating ?.. then you tried pairing another one within range of the previous one that was working?..

Also .. did you leave the first repeater in range after pairing? or did you move it?

1 Like

Hopefully the image I've attached clarifies the "3 walls / Line of Sight" confusion; sorry about that.

After the iris repeater (R1) was paired, it has not moved. The second repeater is sitting on my kitchen table on an extension cord to ensure it has Line of Sight (not to the Hubitat hub, but the Zooz switch, and the iris repeater).

Legend:
Z1 (Functioning Zooz ZEN21 switch *using the recommended Zooz Central Scene Switch)
R1 ("Working" Iris 3210-L Repeater *Using shackrat's driver)
R2 (Iris Repeater that will not pair)
Z2 (Paired Zooz ZEN22 that cannot communicate *using the recommended Zooz Central Scene Dimmer driver)
Z3 (Paired Zooz ZEN22 that cannot communicate *using the recommended Zooz Central Scene Dimmer driver)

Hmmm, maybe view it on imgur: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Nice drawing.. Where is the hub?

I see it now

1 Like

Ok .. This drawing helps a lot .. These devices should be able to talk.. So now I'm going to have to ask about potential interference sources.. Do you have anything that operates in the 900Mhz range?.. Possible sources: cordless phones, baby monitors, some alarm systems, etc..

Digital packet based tech is less of a concern than older devices that would create a solid carrier wave.. Like analog baby monitors..

Even some old wireless cameras could be in this space..

What model of Hub?

Do you have any other plugin devices you can use as repeaters? Without knowing the firmware version of the Iris plugs it's questionable if they're helping or hurting.

I would put a repeater closer to the hub as well.

The only wireless items I have in my house is my Unifi AP (2.4GHz and 5.0GHz), my cordless phones (The base which is on the other side of the wall from R2, the other phone is in that bathroom ... specs do say they're using DECT 6.0, which runs at 1.9GHz), and I also have Hue bulbs (like 15 of them). Unless I am forgetting something, that is everything. No baby monitors, no cameras, no alarm systems. I do have a PC, but all of the components are wired.

@jeubanks I have the newest hub (Canadian), running the latest firmware.