ZWave groups and associations versus "Basic Rules"

Yeah, I'm kind of fond of the component versions. It is purely a visualization exercise, no real difference in functionality, but I like it.

If I were less of a hack I would combine the 2 into 1 driver, and make the component/not-component part just an option in the driver. Maybe someday.

2 Likes

If Jasco had done things “right”, or if Jasco issued an OTA firmware enhancement (we know that won’t happen), there would be a fourth mode for the switch whereby the motion sensor (instantly) turned the switch on, but turn off happened as it presently does in Manual mode. That would eliminate all latency issues.

Well... I think you kind of can though?

While I haven't tried it, you can set the timeout setting to "disabled". In theory that would do exactly what you are saying.

Not sure that can be done in my driver today, though, I would have to look.

EDIT: If you set this to DISABLED, I think it does what you are saying.

And use Occupancy mode? Disabling light timeout disables Auto Off?

I will test to see if it still sends Motion inactive events so that Motion Lighting app works. If so, I could adjust timing in Motion Lighting.

Dunno, but I would think so.... Never tried it before. :slight_smile:

The device seems to barf on this. Repeat by:

1. On device page, put device in Occupancy mode (was Manual).
  2. Select light timeout selector to Disabled, hit Set Light Timeout (was 1 minute).

Device state briefly shows Disabled, then changes to error.

Got the "JasonJoel" version of the driver working. Thanks!

Quick question about the Sensitivity parameter. The manual for the motion switch says:

"motion sensitivity-amount of motion required to turn off the light"

Which might mean a higher setting would make it LESS sensitive. Also, when configured at the switch, you let it blink 1 time for High, 2 times for Medium, and 3 times for low.

So, what do I set to get the most "sensitive" setting--the one that requires the minimum amount of motion for the trigger?

Ah cool. Was just a thought.

I'll take a look at this sometime soon (and stop derailing this thread. lol), as I don't think it should generate an error. Thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

I can't ever decide on this. If someone confirms which setting in my driver is most and least sensitive I'll be happy to improve the wording though!

I keep meaning to test this, but never get around to it.

Yea, there’s been discussion on that point. I’ve tested the settings, “High” seems to require LOTS of motion (low sensitivity). Seems backwards to me, but that’s how it is.

2 Likes

When configured at the switch, it seemed like "low sensitivity" was actually the most sensitive. But, maybe that was before I figured out the blink count thing.

It's pretty hard to tell a difference, given the latency variability I'm seeing--at least on the original driver. Testing more now.

1 Like

My configuration testing was using @JasonJoel’s driver on the Devices page. Never configured on the device.

Bug in the driver, I'll get it fixed soon. It is setting the parameter correctly in the device though, so you should still be able to test it.

Sorry, confused device name with device label--noob error

So, when using the "JasonJoel" driver, setting "high sensitivity" does just that--makes it more sensitive to motion. Or, maybe it's like how long the motion must be detected before sending the motion event, not sure.

The switch is mounted right at a door entrance. Ideally, the lights controlled by the motion sensor would turn on right when I enter the room. My test consists of walking into the room and continue walking very close to the motion detecting switch.

With motion sensitivity set to HIGH (in JasonJoel driver), the controlled lights turn on about 1 second after entering the room. With it set to low, it's usually 2 or 3 seconds, sometimes I have to keep moving in the room to get it to trigger.

I see places to enter association group members. I'll play with that to see if I can improve the latency (though the logs suggest it's not the hub causing the latency).

The entry boxes for association group is on the page for the parent device.

I added the devices I wanted to be controlled to Association Group 2 and paused the Basic Rules. The slave lights now turn on and off with the switch, but not with motion. Maybe that's all I can do with this switch:

Thanks for everyone's quick replies! I was advised to get the Hubitat Elevation, largely because of the great support group. Turned out to be good advice.

If the device was in occupancy mode, and not manual, they should turn on/off with motion.

But as long as the device is in manual they definitely won't turn on/off with motion.

At least that is how I remember the associations working...

1 Like

From the spec sheet with the switch:

Just tested that--yes, you are right.

There's about the same latency for the lights turning on with association versus using Basic Rules. The light controlled directly by the switch (its load) and the two remote lights all come on simultaneously, about a second after walking past the sensor.

So, I'm finally concluding I can't do any better latency wise.

672southmain

Yes, I understand about the modes--I want to use manual, since I do NOT want motion to turn on the switch's load, but i DO want motion to turn on other devices. But, I was hoping I could do association with the motion sensor separately from the on/off buttons (and maybe get lower latency).

I can’t help you there, @JasonJoel would have to chime in - it’s his driver, but I know that he is not a fan of associations because they can cause the hub to be ignorant about device changes. I don’t use them either.

1 Like