Zwave get updated 7.17.1

Was also playing around with port settings in the Windows Device manager and after futzing with it - it's gone black. Have rebooted a couple of times too.. oh well.

Uh so for giggles went back to the latest driver, rebooted, still getting blank screen on Tera Term.. went into the PCS and tried another "OTW Firmware Update" and it worked?? What? :man_facepalming:

Good news then? lol

1 Like

Thanks to @rfg81 and @erktrek for spurring me to get my UZB7 out of the drawer and try to update it past 7.11 (I think. It was a way old version.)

After some trial-and-error, here's what worked for me. I don't know exactly what worked, but these are the final conditions. I'm posting hoping it will help others.

1. My issue was that I kept getting 'failed to open XMODEM' errors.
  2. Upgrade to the latest SL VCP drivers. (I tried going back to the 6.7.6, with no success.) The final upgrade didn't work either, but I left the current drivers intact and moved to other things.
  3. Disabled the power saving setting on the COM port. This changed my 'XMODEM' error to a 'serial port' error. I think it was 0x50.
  4. Abandoned trying to update to 7.17.1 that was directly downloaded from Github, and successfully updated to 7.16.something that was already on my machine in the Simplicity Studio SDKs. Somewhere around here, I read something in the JS Github conversations that there was some sort of error with the 7.17.1 file...
  5. So, I downloaded 7.17.2 directly, updated and it WORKED!

I don't know if it really was the 7.17.1 file that was bad, or not, but considering that I had two successful OTW upgrades before and after, I'll stick with that. Bottom line, I'm on 7.17.2 and I no longer think my stick is trashed, so I'm happy. Now, if I could just get Simplicity Studio to update, but I'm thinking it may be easier to reinstall.

Again, thanks all!

2 Likes

So I just updated to 7.17.2... because why not?

https://github.com/SiliconLabs/gecko_sdk/blob/gsdk_4.0/protocol/z-wave/Apps/bin/gbl/ZW_SerialAPI_Controller_7_17_2_406_EFR32ZG14_REGION_US.gbl?raw=true

I used the PC Controller Sw and the "OTW Firmware Update" on the main screen.

1 Like

confusing.. you mean on your stick not the hubitat... right

1 Like

Yeah.. on the UZB7 stick... :grin:

1 Like

I had a GE Zwave Receptacle fail where the button no longer worked which meant I couldn’t exclude it from my hub. Unfortunately even with Zwave 7.17.1 on my hub I got the familiar busy messages and I could never remove the device via hub. I tried the typical dance of shutting down the hub and removing power too. I had to bust out my Zstick and PC Controller to remove it. :cry:

2 Likes

Did you actually disconnect the power to the outlet?

1 Like

Yes sir

1 Like

I had a weird and unexplained issue this morning where 3/4 of my zwave devices showed no routes and were nonresponsive. THis is on 7.17.1. I shut down the hub, disconnected it from power (thank you PoE splitter), waited the requisite 30 seconds, turned it all back on. Everything came back just fine and it doesn't appear that there were any issues. But it's a tad troubling after a firmware update, The only other time I've seen this happen is when I unexpectedly lost power (the hub is on UPS of course), but I see no evidence that happened overnight. There are two zwave busy messages overnight but that's it. I'll keep an eye on it but wondered if anyone had any suggestions...?

That takes away the thrill of working live.

4 Likes

Live Dangerously Austin Powers GIF

2 Likes

Shut down, unplug HE (from the wall) wait 5 mins and power up. Does that help?

Thanks for your help, my post was meant to alert folks that 7.17.1 doesn't solve all the problems we faced in the prior version with not being able to remove failed/ghost nodes - at least not for me in this case of a bum switch. So not really seeking assistance.

And yes I shutdown the hub, removed power, waited several minutes, restored power, let the hub do its thing before trying to remove the device. No dice. I even let the hub sit overnight and tried the next morning and the device refused to remove. Water under the bridge at this point because I had to remove the device the old fashioned way via @danabw and @erktrek's great documented steps.

4 Likes

And seriously, that's how real men want to do it anyway. :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, I don't think any of us felt that the update would result in a UZB-free world (and as I note above, who'd want that anyway!? :wink: ), but I think we believe that it should reduce how frequently we'll need to break out that bad boy.

2 Likes

This may be unrelated to your issues, but have you by chance had a FLiRS device (battery powered Z-Wave locks, thermostats, etc.), that might have very low/dead battery recently?

I had a severe hub problem similar to yours during the recent beta which turned out to be caused by a battery powered Z-Wave thermostat when the batteries died and the device fell off the mesh. Once the device was offline, havoc ensued, as trying to communicate w/an offline FLiRS device is not good for your mesh:

This is a LSS (FLiRS) device .. So sending a command to it while not powered would cause a flurry of activity while it tries to wake it through the previous route and multiple other routes after it doesn’t reach it through the expected route..

Doesn't sound like your case, but wanted to ask just in case, if there were any coincident/recent battery issues w/any of your battery powered Z-Wave devices.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Remind me to avoid FLiRS devices!

I run a battery report and a device inactivity report every day... nothing below 30% and no inactive devices. My locks are all zigbee and my thermostat is ecobee, so no FLiRS devices there and none that I am aware of elsewhere.

2 Likes

I had a similar problem but with older firmware. If a key device dies or goes. offline it can cause mesh to crash. I had a switch die that had like 14 things routing through it. Every device started panicking.and the mesh crashed. Do you have a location rule to reboot on.mesh/zwave failure?

1 Like